Hi all, i´ve been happily playing my first guitar for a year, and last month or two i was kinda experimenting with tunings. Standard tuning here, Drop B there, now back to standard, drop a little......I think you know it, when you play metallica and then you want to play death and then devildriver.....and my strings just dont like it much so after a year - - they get out of tune very quickly and it is really lame. I was searching through the internet for some new strings and i found out that there are lots of types and hardnesses of strings and i thought that i dont know how hard are my strings............How do i find it out? And another question -- Could you please recommend me some strings? Playing mainly metal - Metallica, Iron Maiden, Death, Black Sabbath, Slayer, Ozzy and so, sometimes even newer bands like Slipknot, Trivium......Thanks for your help and sorry for possible mistakes
Last edited by earthworm_cz at Dec 29, 2009,
I have no idea how to actually tell the hardness of a string, but I dont think it matters.

Going by what you said, am I to understand you haven't changed your strings in a year???

Personally, I have to change my strings after a month tops, because they just get so worn out from playing (and trem abuse ), although I know of "pro" players that change them after about a week or so....

I always tried to stay away from changing the tunings on my guitars too much, as it seemed to wear the strings out quicker than if I didn't mess with it.

As far as brands, I'd say GHS or Ernie Ball
Ibanez RG1570 - mirage red
Ibanez RG7321
Dean '79 MLF
Epiphone Explorer
Ibanez RX20- first guitar!!
Fender 12 str acoustic
Rickenbacker 620/12
Pod X3 Live
Marshall Valvestate VS-265
+ a bunch more stuff
Ok, thanks.............and yes i have the same strings for a year, i dont know when (and why) to change them........i just thought it would be good now, when i have the tuning problems
Ernie balls have never sent me the wrong way .

They're also re-assuringly expensive . But if it's once every year I wouldn't be too bothered .

HELLO!

Last edited by JamesLPs at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by sbinlb
you had the same set of strings for a year?

I just changed my strings the other day, but I had the same strings on my guitar for over a year. Its really not that big of a deal.

TS: Strings are just one of those things that you'll have to play around with and find a brand and a gauge that you feel comfortable with.
You probably meant gauge/thickness, not hardness, right?
just to make sure you understand gauges, i will be explaining them by using the high e string in the set as the reference point. the range goes like this :
0.08 - Super Light
0.09 - Light
0.10 - Regular
0.11 - Heavey
0.12 - Extra heavy

most (if not all) guitars are strung stock with either 0.09s, which is considered a light gauge. so, chances are, if you havent re strung your guitar since getting it, it's most likely strung with 0.09s. if you find they they don't stay in tune and they bend to easy, you might want to go up a gauge.

Generally, the rule of thumb is thicker string, thicker tone. the usually applies, but there are occasional rule breakers (Billy Gibbons and Yngwie Malmsteen have use 0.08s). Heavier strings tend to stay in tune more reliably then lighter gauge strings.

Another thing i should point out is that a change in gauge may require additional set up. going from 0.09s to 0.10s is not worth losing sleep over, but if you're going to go from 0.09s to 0.11s or 0.12s, then you should look into getting the proper set up including getting the truss rod adjusted.

personally, i cant play anything lighter than 0.11s without being comfortable. but if you're still on 0.09s, you might want to try 0.10s first.

Regarding how often you need to change strings, it's subjective. some players i know swear that strings sound better the older they are, so they only change strings that break and never do a full set. i also know players who change their strings every 3 weeks.

Also:
Quote by i_am_metalhead
TS: Strings are just one of those things that you'll have to play around with and find a brand and a gauge that you feel comfortable with.

QFT. you cant really describe how strings feel. its just something you're going to have to spend some money and time on figuring out.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Dec 29, 2009,
Thanks again, people............i guess i will try these -- "ERNIE BALL Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Nickel Wound .010 - .052" -- lots of people recommend those.

edit - And another question -- Do strings really change the sound so much? I mean will the difference between, I dont know, Ernie Ball and DAddario, be mainly in fitting me and my playing style or will it truly affect the sound which i will produce? Is the brand of strings really so important or is it more fashion? I hope you see what I mean......
Last edited by earthworm_cz at Dec 29, 2009,
change them close to once a month or every 2 months.

and i dont recommend changing tunings that often, or at least drastically.

going from standard to drop b is quite a deal on your truss and intonation.

what tuning to you play in the MOST. once this is determined i can give you a nice string recommendation.

also get a setup intonation wise when you get new strings.

if you play mainly in d standard or drop c i recommend .010s, but get a setup for that general tuning area, dont stray too far from d standard (drop c should be ok, maybe double-drop c if you wanted to)

if you play mainly in standard, .009s work well, again get a setup for this tuning (drop d should be fine with them too, just stay in drop d or standard)

C# Standard id either go with .011 or .012, depends on how you like your strings tension wise. (drop b should be ok from a c# standard setup, but if you STAY in drop b, just get a drop b setup)

just make sure your intonation stays decent lol, changing tunings that often can have a definite effect on strings as well as truss rod and bridge.

i play d'addario .009 - .054s in 7 stirng standard on my RG7420, D'addario medium 7s .010 - .056 on my 7321 in Drop G#, and D'addario .011s on my Epihpone Explorer in Drop C
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Last edited by Colton165 at Dec 29, 2009,
I would say the general rule is that every 1/2 step of tuning difference, you need a .01 difference in your strings. So if you like .10s in D, you will probably like .12s in C.

Personally, I like Dean Markley quite a bit, a lot of their strings come with an optional wound 3rd, which is sweet!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
i'd go every step, personally.

and d'addario and ernie ball both offer wound G strings as wel, i have a wound 3rd on my explorer (d'addarrio, very nice)
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...