I need help with an issue i've been having since i got my new guitar...it has an edge III tremolo and since i've started playing it i've broken like 5 strings...I don't think its because of the bridge angle because i've matched it up with the diagram..it always happens when i pull up on the bar a little bit..i dont even have to pull that hard..and whats really weird is i'll be using the whammy to pull up for awhile before that without any strings snapping and then all of a sudden i hear one snap and get the sinking feeling again...can you guys help?
Like David Gilmour?

Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Vox VT15
Alvarez Acoustic
Dunlop Jazz III Picks
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Take your pants off and swing your wiener around in circles.
Where is the string breaking? At the nut or at the bridge or somewhere else?
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
the strings always break at the bridge and I use 9 gauges
Like David Gilmour?

Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Vox VT15
Alvarez Acoustic
Dunlop Jazz III Picks
Quote by alaskan_ninja
put some graphite on the bridge maybe? (protip: use a pencil lead)
Line6 Pod HD500
should i just rub the pencil in the string saddle?
Like David Gilmour?

Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Vox VT15
Alvarez Acoustic
Dunlop Jazz III Picks
Quote by alaskan_ninja
(that's what she said)

It worked on my acoustic which was popping strings at the nut. I ran a pencil lead through the grooves at the nut and saddle and all was better. Dunno if it would make any difference on yours though.
Line6 Pod HD500
Heavier gauge is a band-aid. Determine the cause of the strings breaking then fix that.

String gauge plays into other aspects of the sound of the guitar (tone, sustain, etc) which this guy may not want to change.

You can always take it to a luthier and have them troubleshoot the issue as well.
Line6 Pod HD500
If it can be tuned to the proper note, and stay there, it can support the tension.
Line6 Pod HD500
I think it's the vibrato. (That's what it should be called, Not a tremolo - Look it up on Wiki) See, You're pulling up on the bar making the strings go up in pitch. That puts extra tension on them. Did you ever have the vibrato set up, Or the guitar for that matter? Also what scale length is your guitar?
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
If its breaking at the bridge you may have some sharp edges on the saddles, or you may be stringing the guitar incorrectly, remove all your strings and rub your finger where the string goes and see if you can feel any sharp edges, this may be breaking your strings.

When stringing the guitar always make sure you have the string securely fastened inside the bridge or the strings will unwind and snap.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works