Anyway know what I should do about sanding. The scenario is this.

My dad says I don't need to get down to wood - just past the lacquer.

I say I need to get the the wood.

Which would you say? (Bare in mind there will be upwards of 12-15 coats on this guitar.

Also would heating up the paint help?

Thanks for all feedback .

HELLO!

I always though you just needed to get past the laquer as well. Seemed to work well for me.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
you don't have to get right down to the wood if you're just repainting a solid colour..
you can go right to the wood if you like, but it's not nessecary, really. you'll have a thicker finish without going all the way down, but as long as you don't add build-up to the neck pocket, thats not much of an issue..

and yeah, you can use heat to remove paint. it's not really used in conjunction with sanding, but more in place of sanding
What kind of guitar is it? (Acoustic, solidbody electric, hollowbody electric?)
What type of finish are you going to put on it? (Opaque or transparent?)
Sorry for not specifying - It's an electric, solid.

It's new so no need to get any scratches out.

They will be solid colours I'm adding.
In order it will be.. Gold > Crackle Medium > Blue > Masking off some of body > Blue > Crackle Medium > Gold > Mask off some more > Black.

Does that change anything..

I was thinking heat just to help with the paint coming off, as I only have some basics (i.e. hairdryer or gas lamp)

HELLO!

It's only essential that you sand past the lacquer. Of course in theory thicker paint dampens your tone, though I doubt you'd be able to tell a difference.
Especially with EMG's .

Thanks I'll try even up my current work and get to it then .

HELLO!

Oh, also just to clarify, would heating the body with a hair dryer or gas lamp help at all or would it just be a waste of time ?

HELLO!

BUMP - can someone just answer that last question - I'm desperate .
Then this thread may be destroyed

HELLO!

Quote by JamesLPs
Oh, also just to clarify, would heating the body with a hair dryer or gas lamp help at all or would it just be a waste of time ?
You'll just get the clearcoat tacky if you use heat on it. Just scuff sand as planned, shoot 2 coats of primer, etc.

Sounds like you are being ambitious.

Tell me more about this finish that you want to achieve? And how much you actually know (or your Dad knows) about layered finishes?

As Ippon said. Scuff the existing finish. Use P240 on a block (block sand), to get everything nice and flat, go very careful on the edges.

Shoot 2 coats of primer for coverage.

Ideally use a guide coat then block sand it to P240 (or P600 if you skip the next step).

Fill any dents and shoot another coat or two of Primer (or skip this step if no dents)

Then you can start with your base colour, but as I suggested..expand on what you want to do, as it isn't always quite as simple as you might like it to be....especially when doing multiple layers. Not all paints are created equal, and lots of layers can cause something called "de-lamination", this is when the layers...part company.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Dec 29, 2009,