a couple days ago i adjusted the truss rod on my schecter and it played perfect but yesterday, i picked it up and it didn't feel quite right, the action felt a little bit higher, so i tightened the truss rud again just a little bit and it was back to the way it was a day before. anyone know why this may be? does the wood need a while to "settle in?"
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by David Collins
On new guitars, yes, they can go through a "settling in" period, though it typically shouldn't take long for the wood bearing the loads to compress to a point of equilibrium, where they no longer have to settle after adjustments. Could be days, weeks, even a few seasons, as it depends on the wood, truss rod type, and installation method.

There's also environmental conditions. If this is a guitar you just received from a store, they may have been at a constant moderate humidity. If you're in a cold region with the furnace running, it may be drying out day by day now. When a neck dries out, the movement in the face section has more influence than toward the back, so necks can certainly shift in to greater relief during the cold, dry winter months, and swell in to backbow in humid summer conditions. How each neck responds is as individual as the construction and piece of wood. Some stay quite stable, while others can be hyper-sensitive, and seem to shift with the breeze.

If you know how to reliably gauge relief, you should be able to adjust it as necessary, and it should at least settle in to a stable state until the season changes. Only way to really tell what's going on is to view it in hand though, and accurately interpret what is shifting from time to time.

thanks man, very informative post
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ