Okay, so, i've learnt everything i know, on a hardtail Ibanez...... I'm finally at that stage, where i'm playing intermediate/advanced stuff, which uses differring amounts of trem. So, i'm going shopping sometime soon.

I've heard several horror stories about cheap tremolos, so i'm willing to spend upto $850 on it......

'Till date. I've only been able to check out the:
Jackson RR3
Schecter C-1 FR

For the record, i plan to use the guitar mainly for metal, maybe some hard rock.etc Any suggestions, comments on the above, or indeed any advice at all would be appreciated.
Jackson RR5FR?

LTD EX-401, MH400 etc?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
The C-1 FR is a good guitar with a solid licensed Floyd, but for $50 more you can get the Hellraiser C-1 FR (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Hellraiser-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=518471), which has an OFR (also a set neck, and I think the regular C-1 has a bolt on). I've been very happy with mine, although Schecter necks and EMGs aren't for everyone and you should really try to find one before you buy it. (Also, look used, you may be able to find one of these for a good bit cheaper.)

EDIT: $50 more than stated budget, not $50 more than the standard C-1.
Jackson RR5FR?

LTD EX-401, MH400 etc?

The RR5FR is somewhat out of my price range. I haven't actually played an ESP LTD 'till now. Might look at some of the ones with the EMGs. Thanks, for the suggestions.

a licensed floyd i'd say is the way to goo.. schecter have good ones
Id second on the schecter... never like the RR3
The C-1 FR is a good guitar with a solid licensed Floyd, but for $50 more you can get the Hellraiser C-1 FR (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...tar?sku=518471), which has an OFR (also a set neck, and I think the regular C-1 has a bolt on). I've been very happy with mine, although Schecter necks and EMGs aren't for everyone and you should really try to find one before you buy it. (Also, look used, you may be able to find one of these for a good bit cheaper.)

Well, i *was* in love with the RR3, but once you get past the looks, i'm not dead keen on the seymour duncans. They really pick up at high distortion though.

The C-1 FR, on the other hand, was a revelation. The EMGs are awesome, and the bridge was rock solid. I guess i'll have a look at the Hellraiser, and if it impresses me anymore, it might just be worth that $50 wait.....

Thanks for your thoughts guys. If anybody's got anything extra to add, i'm in no rush, and open to any other suggestions.
Quote by muj.ie.me

The RR5FR is somewhat out of my price range. I haven't actually played an ESP LTD 'till now. Might look at some of the ones with the EMGs. Thanks, for the suggestions.

Well, i *was* in love with the RR3, but once you get past the looks, i'm not dead keen on the seymour duncans. They really pick up at high distortion though.

The C-1 FR, on the other hand, was a revelation. The EMGs are awesome, and the bridge was rock solid. I guess i'll have a look at the Hellraiser, and if it impresses me anymore, it might just be worth that $50 wait.....

Thanks for your thoughts guys. If anybody's got anything extra to add, i'm in no rush, and open to any other suggestions.

Wait, we may be talking about the same guitar then...I was thinking of the standard C-1 FR, which was a cheaper ($400-500) guitar with Duncan Designed actives, a bolt-on neck, and an LFR. If what you played had EMGs, it probably wasn't that.

And between those two, if the trem is your main concern, OFR > LFR any day.
Well, after searching through a few websites, i'm still not very sure myself. The funny thing is, im sure that guitar was priced at about $750, yet the only Schecter C-1 FR with EMGs - The Hellraiser - is priced at ~$900.

EDIT : and yeah, the trem's probably the main thing for me.
Last edited by muj.ie.me at Dec 29, 2009,
Nope. 'Twas brand new. Don't think anybody'd even touched it before me......... And i see. I'll definitely remember that. I'm already leaning towards the hellraiser anyway. Thanks for all your help.
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Hmm you're in India that slightly complicates matters but oh well.

Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe - OFR, active rockfield pickups, supposedly a nice player.
Washburn X50VPro - OFR, passive SD pickups, can't find a single review/ngd on it but if it's anything to by from their previous and current models then she be a beauty.
BC Rich ASM Pro - OFR I think, active EMG pickups, not too sure on playability and quality as such.
Quote by TheBadPlace
The C-1 FR is a good guitar with a solid licensed Floyd, but for $50 more you can get the Hellraiser C-1 FR (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Hellraiser-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=518471), which has an OFR (also a set neck, and I think the regular C-1 has a bolt on). I've been very happy with mine, although Schecter necks and EMGs aren't for everyone and you should really try to find one before you buy it. (Also, look used, you may be able to find one of these for a good bit cheaper.)

The Hellraiser C1 FR isn't excatly an OFR. It's like a korean made floyd rose but not excatly a LFR either. More like a rate B OFR. You could tell the difference from a german made OFR and Korean OFR is from the saddle. I own a Hellraiser C1 FR and the floyd isn't set right so it's stiff like hell compared to wat its suposed to b. But it does stay in tune quite fine and all that.

I personally recommend Schaller tho.
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR.
Never played one, but after reading a few reviews, i'm definitely curious. Seems to be more of an EMG vs. SD tone thing, between the Hellraiser and Blackjack though.

Hmm you're in India that slightly complicates matters but oh well.

Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe - OFR, active rockfield pickups, supposedly a nice player.
Washburn X50VPro - OFR, passive SD pickups, can't find a single review/ngd on it but if it's anything to by from their previous and current models then she be a beauty.
BC Rich ASM Pro - OFR I think, active EMG pickups, not too sure on playability and quality as such.
You don't really have to consider that point. I'm probably moving to the US in a few months, so if i find something i really love, i can wait 'till then.
I'll try the Hex Deluxe & Washburn as and when i can find them. The ASM PRO, i plan to try this weekend, so we'll see what develops.

Have a look at some Ibanez guitars that have the Lo-Pro or Edge Pro trem like the RG550.

Will do.

The Hellraiser C1 FR isn't excatly an OFR. It's like a korean made floyd rose but not excatly a LFR either. More like a rate B OFR. You could tell the difference from a german made OFR and Korean OFR is from the saddle. I own a Hellraiser C1 FR and the floyd isn't set right so it's stiff like hell compared to wat its suposed to b. But it does stay in tune quite fine and all that.

I personally recommend Schaller tho.

Well, for say, an intermediate( of course "intermediate" also reads "FR-n00b ) player such as myself, i'm guessing a "rate B OFR" would be adequate....?