Hi guys,

The title may be kind of misleading, but I couldn't really think of a good way to summarize my problem.

Anyways, here's the necessary info: I just got a Boss RC-20XL Phrase Recorder and a Vox Cooltron Snake Charmer Compressor for Christmas. I have a Peavey XXX 120W Tube head with an effects loop that currently runs straight to a Line6 PodX3 Live and back into the head. I wanted to incorporate the Phrase recorder after the Line6 pedal, so I have a 1' cord going from the live out of the Line6 to the input of the Phrase recorder. I then tried to put another 1' cord from the output of the phrase recorder to the compressor input, which is tube powered and hence analog, and which is why I want it after all the digital stuff. I then plugged the cord leading back to the head (the FX loop return) into the output of the compressor.

The problem is, no power is going to either of the new pedals. If I run either pedal using the live out from the line 6 and then going straight back to the head, they both work. They're currently both battery powered and I don't have any extra power supplies to use. They both have true bypass. If I have both pedals connected in the chain mentioned in the previous paragraph and my amp on, I can still hear my signal, it's just significantly quieter, and, as mentioned before, neither pedal has power.

I know that's a text wall, but I was trying to describe the setup as well as possible so someone can help me diagnose my issue. Please help, and thank you ahead of time!
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
I'm gonna give this a bump...
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
try mapping your rig like this below

guitar > pedal a > pedal b > amp then list the fx loop.

not sure about the pedals you`ve mentioned but they should power on with just a instrument cable plugged into the input of the pedal when running on batteries (leds should light up)
Well, they do power on, usually, with a cable in the output (I know that's true for the boss, for the Vox it might be both). But for some reason, the way it's connected is keeping the pedals from keeping power. it's silly.

What do you mean list the FX loop? The loop is what all the pedals are plugged into... so it's basically amp FX loop send > Line6 Podx3 live > Boss RC-20XL > Compressor > amp FX loop return. I want the pedals organized that way so that I can record phrases post modification by the X3 live and then compressing the whole thing so it sounds better tonally. I want to use the amp FX loop because I don't have bypasses on all the pedals mentioned and if I want to I can cut all the pedals out for pure amp sound.
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
the high gain and compression need to go before the preamp which means from the guitar.

then any modulation and time based effects go into the loop.

the way i have mine is(bear in mind different pedals)

guitar > wah >compressor >distortion > noise gate > whammy >ocvtave>amp

then in the loop (send) >short delay> long delay> flanger > (return)