I was at my local guitar store today and tested a new guitar and bought, after being incredibly happy with its crunch and detail, i guess. It sounded awesome.

After taking it home and playing it in my small room i was disapointed. My old guitar sounds better than my new one. It sounds really trebly and bassy. Is this because of the size of my room? What can i do to make the sound quality better?

(oh and i tested my new guitar on the amp i have too. and the store is basically a warehouse.)
also, could the cable dramatically increase sound quality? In the store i was using a bulkier, more expensive to the low-grade cable i have here. is there any good yet cheap cables i should look out for?
Quote by Geldin
Music stores give all gear a +50 to Charisma. That bonus goes away when you leave the store.

+1
Everything sounds way better when you are in the store, and once you get home, it suddenly sounds less good, and sometimes it leads to big dissapointments.
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by Geldin
Music stores give all gear a +50 to Charisma. That bonus goes away when you leave the store.

not sure if Geldin is being sarcastic or speaking from experience, but this is kind of true. lots of stores will turn all their rooms into music rooms (guitar center near me has at least 3 or 4 different rooms i can think of built like a music studio). plus the first time you pick up a guitar you can be influenced by the look and feel (cool factor) of the thing.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by poipoi
+1
Everything sounds way better when you are in the store, and once you get home, it suddenly sounds less good, and sometimes it leads to big dissapointments.

tell me about it.
Quote by Sammm1
also, could the cable dramatically increase sound quality? In the store i was using a bulkier, more expensive to the low-grade cable i have here. is there any good yet cheap cables i should look out for?

I don't think it's the cables since even though it may be of different quality it can't change the sound all that much, well not enough for you to notice. Unless your cable's broken.
Quote by simpleplanftw
I don't think it's the cables since even though it may be of different quality it can't change the sound all that much, well not enough for you to notice. Unless your cable's broken.

it is in pretty bad shape. ive actually got a brand new cable (only a cheap, standard one) but i spose it might help. it's at a friends atm.
probably because you have to play the amp louder int he store, and most amps sound better louder.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Sammm1
it is in pretty bad shape. ive actually got a brand new cable (only a cheap, standard one) but i spose it might help. it's at a friends atm.

Yeah that might be the problem. Go try it out with your new cable later and see how it goes.
if it still sounds bad what reason could i give for getting a refund/exchange?
Quote by Sammm1
if it still sounds bad what reason could i give for getting a refund/exchange?

you can just return anything as long as it isn't damaged and time hasn't expired. Like a 14 day return policy or something. No reason necessary if it's within that time period.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
It could be many things: cable, amp, room acoustics. Start with the cheapest fix and work your way up. Hell, play it at your friends place and see if any mojo returns.

If all else fails... take it back and try again. Most shops have a 30 day return policy.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77