I'm getting some money coming through and I've decided I'm gonna get a setup for recording music and practicing on the pc, as my amp is quite low quality and doesn't work well with headphones. I looked through a few different solutions and have come up with two that I cannot decide between.

POD Studio GX - £61

GuitarPort XT - £120

Prices are according to Amazon. I managed to snag a GuitarPort XT for somewhere around £80 on eBay which i haven't paid for yet (and don't have to, I disconnected my paypal account..).

The prices should automatically show which one is superior but I just can't see the difference. If any of you could nudge me in the right direction I would be very grateful

Bit of background information: I have very little experience with recording, music making and the software behind it, but am quite able to pick up programs etc v quickly if I put my mind to it, it's just the technical side of things that confuses me. I don't have much equipment. Just one guitar and one low quality Marshall amp, but I wanna be able to record music and start piecing together my own songs etc.

Ideally I'd want the easiest to use, with more options for tone and pedals etc.

So I think I've kinda decided. I put together a bit of a comparison and by the looks of things the Studio GX comes up trumps. I still don't fully understand the reason for the huge price difference though, but I think it may have something to do with the 10 free guitar lessons and Riffworks or whatever that come with the GuitarPort XT.

GuitarPort Studio GX
Guitar Amp Models 18 18
Guitar Cab Models 0 24
Bass Amp Models 0 5
Bass Cab Models 0 5
Mic Preamps 0 6
Stompbox Models 20 29
PodFarm Upgrade Yes
Gearbox Yes Yes
Model Packs Upgrade Upgrade

EDIT: I'm still wondering about people's opinions on which one to go for though
Last edited by falolout at Dec 29, 2009,