There doenst seem to be a thin lizzy thread so here

Usual rules apply- No flaming, spamming etc

Anyway i'l start off.

Favourite album?

Song?

Guitarist/Lineup?

Solo?
Last edited by gerardk at Dec 31, 2009,
"still in love with you", "dancing in the moonlight" and "cowboy song" are some tasty tunes I enjoy listening to while driving!!!!!!
I love THIN LIZZY Gary moore in the line up and where do i begin to tell you what fav. song DAMN i record all my own tunes but i have covered Alot of lizzy because i love the hell out of them forever they were the first hard rock band album i bought in 76 jailbreak i have covered emerald, rosalie , bad reputation, don't believe a word, still in love with you , jail break just to mention a few ,,,,,, if anyone is interested let me know im on this site i will post them ,,,,,give them a listen tell me how or how i didn't do the songs justice lol i have been playing for sometime and i LUV LIZZY !!!! drop me a line !!! oh plus go to this site to check out some of my tunes maybe we can all colab on some lizzy tunes ,,,,that would be awesome

wrote and play every instrument on these tunes and all the vocals !!! the drums i did via FL studio 9 i use the sonar producers program and my audigy sound card !!!! a cord and ROCK !! check 'em out and add me become a member !!! thanks guys you aLL ROCK and i will return the favor ... im really looking to meet up with some great musicians to colab with !! here's the link

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=292437&content=music
I like the song 'Chinatown' a lot. There's some cool licks on there.
Last edited by baretta at Jan 5, 2010,
Favourite album? Between Jailbreak and Johnny the Fox for studio

Song? Really love Cowboy song, but Lynnot excelled himself with songs like Still in love with you.. and a really underrated gem of a song 'Borderline' the lyrics of which are little short of beautiful genius

Guitarist/Lineup? Robbo/Gorham CLEARLY

Solo? Still in Love with you off Live and Dangerous... beautiful song, beautiful solo.. none of this speed playin crap.. just a proper blues solo

Thin Lizzy are one of the bands that, as a 19 year old, i never got to see.. sometimes feel i was born a generation too late.
grrrr
My favorite album is 14 Shades of Gray, but I can't give my opinion really since I dont have Chapter V, Dysfunctional and Tormented.
My Favorite song is, uuhm, all of them? it's reeaaly hard to chose... Let's say So far away, Epiphany, Zoe Jane and Tangeled up in you (Beautiful Lyrics Aaron, seriously, just like your Tourmanager thought; awesome song)
great band considering they onlyl have three piece band

And it seems like any band with a bassist as the head of the band is good, ex: Rush, Kiss, etc.

Phil Lynnot! whoo
They were only a 3 piece between '71 and '73 on their first 3 albums. After that they were a 4 piece.

Also dont forget motorhead :p !!
Quote by dougl126
great band considering they onlyl have three piece band

And it seems like any band with a bassist as the head of the band is good, ex: Rush, Kiss, etc.

Phil Lynnot! whoo

Although I agree with the bassist frontman generally being a cool thing, Gene Simmons was not the head of Kiss. He did sing a lot, but Paul Stanely was clearly the main man in that band.

Anyway, on subject: I think their self-titled is my favorite. And Bell was my favorite in thin lizzy, even though I think Moore is much a better guitarist
tonight theres gonna be a jailbreak.......

whenever i cover that song i feel soo badass

i LOVE thin lizzy
If its Illegal to Rock N Roll.........Throw my Ass in Jail!

Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha yes I recognize you mate!

Anyone ever seen them post Phil Lynott?

I think their still going,just on hiatus 'cos Sykes left the band.
I saw a Gary Moore concert on Sky last night and he had a few guests come on stage including Scott Gorham, they did Black Rose and Boys are back in town, they were awsome. They still got it even though they're getting on now. Gary Moore has put on loads of weight.

Delboy
Thin Lizzy always had the greatest songs and memorable hooks.
Long Live Phil Lynott......

A great writer indeed.
does anyone else think that Johnny the Fox Meets Jimmy the Weed sounds a lot like voodoo child?
Black Rose has to be one of the best albums of all time, awesome lyrics. So obviously the gary moore/scott gorham lineup is the best. I still prefer gorham over moore tho.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
Quote by gerardk
No i dont think it sounds like voodoo child. Just my opinion tho

well maybe not a lot, but the beginning of the voodoo child intro sounds similar to the chorus of Johnny the fox meets jimmy the weed.
loving the Fighting album at the minute. Daft cover aside (Brian with the iron bar lol), it's got some cool little tunes on it, like Silver Dollar and King's Revenge.
Lizzy were one of the greats. They don't make bands like that anymore
You Know You Want To
^Yea funny cover,to do with the title. Wild one is a pretty cool song too

Oh and Lizzy ARE still one of the greats!!
Last edited by gerardk at Mar 23, 2010,
I suppose it's cool that Scott is still around and playing the songs, but without Phil?
It's arguable whether or not it's the same... Still, I'd love to see them.
You Know You Want To
Quote by gibbfg
Favourite album? Between Jailbreak and Johnny the Fox for studio

Song? Really love Cowboy song, but Lynnot excelled himself with songs like Still in love with you.. and a really underrated gem of a song 'Borderline' the lyrics of which are little short of beautiful genius

Guitarist/Lineup? Robbo/Gorham CLEARLY

Solo? Still in Love with you off Live and Dangerous... beautiful song, beautiful solo.. none of this speed playin crap.. just a proper blues solo

Thin Lizzy are one of the bands that, as a 19 year old, i never got to see.. sometimes feel i was born a generation too late.
grrrr

At 19 years old you can still see & hear one of the most potent bands that ever rocked this planet. I am 54 and cant watch a DVD or listen to " Live and Dangerous " without feeling like I am frozen. Good luck Son don't forget what Phil Lynnot said when Billy Connelly asked him " What's it like to be Irish & Black.......the Man replied its like being a pint of Guiness!
Thanks man.. there's just no bands that really grab me lately in the same way that the likes of lizzy did and I hate that... but times change etc.

Im from Belfast and was in Dublin there at the weekend, and clichéd as it is i got my photo taken with the statue of Phil just off the main street in Dublin (although i resisted the urge to take off my coat to reveal my lizzy t shirt..too cheesy i thought)
but it was amazin just knowing i was walkin the streets he walked, and over the ha'penny bridge used in one of the videos. t'was excellent.

As for the new thin lizzy band with Sykes and Gorham theyre not bad, but theyre not thin lizzy. No comparison in the opinion of my uncles who saw the real band. Although they had tommy aldridge drumming one of the times i saw them and he was fantastic, but sykes is just too metally for me.
My personal favourite band.

My favourite lineup is deffinatly the "Robbo" era, the majority of their famous songs were wrote in that time and I think the decline of the band began when he left.

Favourite song is abit tricky lol. I'd have to go with emerald or still in love with you, both brilliant live tracks - however I love the Don't believe a word solo.

Also I think suicide is a really under rated song. Never really hear about it but it has some good guitar parts.
Currently listening to the jailbreak album-top class stuff! Cowboy song is such a brilliant song! Fight or fall is a pretty cool RnBish song aswell
Quote by TheLetherHed
I really want to check these guys out. Any albums or material anyone would suggest?

Well personally I'd say Jailbreak and Live and Dangerous are musts! Black Rose is an awesome album as well!

I saw the newer line-up a few years ago and obviously it's not the same as it used to be, but as someone who wasn;t even born then it was awesome to be able to see Gorham and Sykes playing!
Down from the Glen came the Marching Men
With their sheilds and their swords
To fight the fight they believed to be right
Overthrow the overlords...
huge fan of all of their stuff. all the eras and lineups had good songs so it's tough to pick a fav. if pushed hard a few fav songs are TOUGHEST STREET IN TOWN, ANGEL OF DEATH, ARE YOU READY and THUNDER AND LIGHTNING. i was fortunate enough to have seen them in 78 with gary moore in the lineup.
My favourite classic rock band, though they seem to be quite overlooked. But not by me!
Pretty much every album contains a few classics, and I don't think I can name a bad song by Phil & Co.

Their whole attitude is like, so cool. Led Zeppelin didn't have that, so why were they the biggest band on the planet in the late seventies? Life ain't fair. Emerald, Jailbreak, Sarah, Rosalie, Leave This Town, Chinatown, man, I could go on forever..

Any modern bands that even come close to the level of awesomeness Thin Lizzy had?
Quote by monwobobbo
huge fan of all of their stuff. all the eras and lineups had good songs so it's tough to pick a fav. if pushed hard a few fav songs are TOUGHEST STREET IN TOWN, ANGEL OF DEATH, ARE YOU READY and THUNDER AND LIGHTNING. i was fortunate enough to have seen them in 78 with gary moore in the lineup.

Lucky sob , although i did manage to see them 2 years ago with john sykes at the helm. Not the same tho
Just finished listening to their debut album...seriously under-rated! Check out 'Look what the Wind Blew In' or 'Honesty is no Excuse'

Brian Downey should also be up ther with John Bohnam..
jail break is always a classic, really dig john sykes playing on lightning.
Tbh i never really liked 'Lizzy with Sykes in the band, he was an amazing guitar player i mean his solos on thunder and lightening are brilliant but its just that their sound changed so much with him in the band, they sounded alot like the NWOBHM(new wave heavy metal) which i disliked since they had such a unique and original sound in the 70s

TL;DR
Their sound changed so much with Sykes in the band.
Amazing band. RIP Phil Lynott
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Can I venture a suggestion that if Lizzy were English or American they would have been revered in the same way Zeppelin are? Granted you have Gorham and RObbo and Sykes arent IRish, but the backbone of the band in downey was, and Lynott was as irish as they get! Their music is different, so I dont think its fair to say oneis better than t'other, but is there a case for saying that their Irishness played against them?
They do seem to be underrated (maybe not overlooked as theyre always on top20 lists and such, just not as high up as they maybe should be) but in my opinion they were a truly unique band with a unique front man the likes of which the world will never see again.

Depressing or what?
They are a great band and belong in the Hall of Fame. They never been nominated, but have been able to be for a while now. The boys are back is not their best song. Very under rated. People think their a one hit wonder.
Nothing can be everything. Everything can be nothing.
That's how it is with many great bands unfortunately. They have one or two hit songs that everybody identify them with (Jailbreak and The Boys are Back in Town in this case) even though they have many much better songs.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Page 1 of 2