Page 1 of 2
Which amp would be better for Thrash/Death Metal, think like Jeff Loomis, Opeth, Megadeth etc. etc. and has a really great lead tone that can cut through the mix??
(I also play fusion/ Progressive stuff too like Guthrie govan, Dream theater etc.)

A Mesa Dual Rectifier

OR

A Peavey JSX

I'm buying one used today, not sure which though....... any recommendations?
and sorry for my 9 millionth thread about buying an amp, hopefully this will be my last

btw A mesa triple rectifier is better than a mesa dual right?
Dual Rectifiers are more popular than Triple Rectfifiers.

However, I would take the Recto, but that's just me.

A Mark V would be better though.

Out of those 2 the JSX would probably suit better.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Dec 29, 2009,
Whats the difference between the Recto, Dual rec, and triple rec?

I know nothing about mesas really
You are buying a used Mesa potentially TODAY and you don't understand the differences? The Triple Rec is probably not the favorite. I'm not a Mesa expert either but a Mark, Single Rec, or Road King would be better from what I know.

The single, dual and triple relate (I believe) to the number of pairs of tubes that have a rectifier. They have a solid state and tube rectification option. In the case of a Triple, there are 3 rectifiers on 6 power tubes. 150w. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

As someone mentioned, if it was strictly down to those 2 amps you listed I'd take the JSX. If it was a JSX vs some of the other Mesa's mentioned I may think differently. Again, I'm not the Mesa expert here. I've only played the Dual Rec, Lonestar and Express.
So then what mesa would be better for my styles of music, and have a good lead tone etc. etc.??

I'm planning on buying a used amp today, but am still undecided and noticed how low some of the mesas go for online (outside of the mark series)
I recently got the jsx, i too play in 2 bands. ones a metalcore band and ones a prog post rock band. I love the jsx, and cant tell you enough how great this amp is at covering a lot of different styles of music.

soemthing to keep in mind tho, whether your into "between the buried and me" or not they do play lots of different styles within their CD's. dusty uses a mesa roadking live and paul uses a mesa dual rack mount unit. Both those amps sound great for everything they play (deathmetal to prog rock to southern rock, to jazz fusion).

hope this helps
Again, down to the 2 amps you mentioned:

The JSX is a pretty good lead amp, while the Dual Rec is just better suited for rythm playing from what I've heard.

EDIT: The best Mesa for your playing would be a Mark V, probably also a used Mark III or IV.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Dec 29, 2009,
^ I would say that is a fair assessment JesusCrisp.

I couldn't find the thread I was looking for on this topic or Rectos but this thread was interesting nonetheless.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1249630&highlight=mesa+rectifiers
I like BTBAM but i think those amps are outside my budget, even used.

I'll probably go with the JSX if you said it's good enough for both Death metal and Prog.
And my main concern is getting a really good metal lead tone- like the bands i stated earlier.
I played through a Mesa Dual Rec and i really dug the Rhythm tone but when i played leads it got really weak, and i wasn't a fan...

I'm still looking at the JSX but is it strong enough to play Death/Thrash metal? or would i be better suited with a different amp? (6505+,XXX, etc.)

I noticed someone in a different forum said it might not be ballsy enough and i've read some posts in the 6505+ forum that said they were weak as well.

I'm just looking for an Amp head that can play really heavy death/thrash metal and has a really good lead/soloing tone.
Last edited by KG Karnage at Dec 31, 2009,
I'd personally look into the Mesa Mark V. Rectos tend to have a looser low end that you may or may not like, but Marks tend to have a tighter, more responsive low end that IMO, is desirable in those kinds of tones.

JSX's are very versatile amps, and from what I can remember from playing on one, can get quite heavy. You might want to take a bit more time making this decision if possible though.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Never had much luck cutting through the mix with a single or dual recto, Had an easier time with the stilleto and roadster.

JSX has gain out the wazoo. more than enough for any type of metal. you just might need some eq pedal to get it to have a trash, death metal characteristic sound

Mark series cuts through the mix easily. The Graphic EQ also helps for solo boost(for the modesl that have it)
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
alright, thanks.

I'd love to get the Mark series, but i just dont have that kind of money.

I was just a little concerned that the JSX wasn't enough of a metal amp- the whole reason i'm looking into it is for it's lead tone, and being better than the 6505+ and XXX modes
yeah i'm buying used, what did you have in mind?
Last edited by KG Karnage at Dec 31, 2009,
Quote by KG Karnage
alright, thanks.

I'd love to get the Mark series, but i just dont have that kind of money.

I was just a little concerned that the JSX wasn't enough of a metal amp- the whole reason i'm looking into it is for it's lead tone, and being better than the 6505+ and XXX modes

it isn't enough of a metal amp. It can do metal, sure, but it really isn't voiced like that. Honestly, it sounds weird. If you can afford a recto, I'm sure you can afford a Mark...
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
JSX rules for metal, as does the dual rec

if its a 3chan dual rec fuggedabout it
if its a 2 chan get that bitch.

single recs are cool
but the dual rec is the best
the trip rec is not as good :\

i'd go with the dual rec though, some people have a problem with the jsx sounding a bit to metalic
Quote by KG Karnage
yeah i'm buying used, what did you have in mind?

What is on your craigslist? Where are you? Have you check the various online gear forum classifieds? Use the link in my sig. I agree the JSX can definitely do metal of all kinds. Very versatile and excels at lead playing.

Edit: Sorry, you said used in your OP.

Personally, like I said, I'd take a JSX over a Dual Rec but not over a Mark or Road King. There are other amps that can do what you want as well, which is why I'm asking about what is around you to try out.
Quote by apak
If you can afford a recto, I'm sure you can afford a Mark...

?

800 dollar used dual rec on eBay compared to at Least 1600 used mark on eBay.....

quite a difference...

But i'm really torn here, i appreciate the help but i hear from some that the JSX is perfect for metal, and others not so much.

And i tried the mesa dual rec (3 channel) and the lead channel wasn't great.

Is the 2 channel Dual rec better for leads?
alright, do you know when those stopped being made?

and do they have a good lead tone, and still have that Death/thrash metal sound like the 3 channel?

I've seen some older, scuffed up ones online- but mesas are like tanks right?
and the guts look brand new, thats whats important.

thanks for the advice. More input is always welcome though, cus i'm sure something will come up
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
There are other amps that can do what you want as well, which is why I'm asking about what is around you to try out.

I live in Western New York.

And there honestly aren't many options in my area. Outside of guitar center and 1 local store.

Neither have the Peavey JSX though.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
the 2 channel Dual Rec kicks ass in all feilds. also look for a tube screamer you will need it for your rec.

pretty much this

if you can't get the 2 chan Dual rec get a JSX

^this

for 800 then these might be best bet
Yes, any 2 channel dual rec would do the job. Just remember, they'll have a wicked lead channel if you TAKE THE TIME TO DIAL IT IN!!!!!!

Seriously, it won't happen over night, it'll take a while.
Alright, hopefully i'll be able to get one soon then.

like i said, the only one i've found so far is pretty beat up on the outside, but if it has the tone like you guys say, then i'll forget about the appearance pretty quickly.

Any other suggestions for amps are still welcome though.
I've never owned a Mesa myself and there is a good reason for that. I played with a guy that used a Mesa in the 90's (can't remember exactly which one) and while his rhythm sound was VERY nice his lead sound cut through the mix about as well as butter cuts through diamond - regardless of how much time we spent trying to eq it up. Luckily I was the one doing the vast bulk of the lead so it all worked out ok. I haven't played with anybody with a new Mesa but from what I'm reading things haven't changed much. So imho if you are the rhythm man go for the mesa by all means but if you are the lead man I'd get a Peavey, Marshall, Laney - hell, even some ss pos would cut through the mix better in my experience.
Now as I say, I haven't played with anybody with a new Mesa but really there is only one way to test if what I'm saying is still valid - hire one and try it in a full blown band situation. They sound great on their own but that matters shit, it's how it sounds in the mix that matters. You can play one all day in a shop and learn nothing - hire a few amps and try them out in the environment you actually want to use it. AND have somebody whose ear you trust walk around in the crowd and report on how it cuts it, after all thats where it counts.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^^ Is this true Mesa supporters??

This is why i'm so torn between amps...

I'm concerned with the Mesa because it wont have a good lead sound

I'm concerned with the Peavey JSX because it might not be metal/heavy enough...
Anyone who says the JSX wont get metal or heavy enough listens to pure static. its has more than enough gain to tap for metal.
Are you anywhere close to Buffalo?

I see a 5150, 6505 and Triple X on here along with some other amps worth trying.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&catAbbreviation=msg&minAsk=500&maxAsk=1700

Also, if you have not spent any time on netmusicians.org listening to clips, that may be a good idea too.
yeah i'm very close to Buffalo.

I've seen a few good deals for the 6505+ but isn't the JSX better all around?

Thats why i wanna buy that amp, because is one of the best you can buy for metal without spending a fortune for an Engl or a road king.... right?
haha thanks a lot man. I've checked out every deal locally i could

I'm a very picky buyer (if you couldn't tell) and you guys have all been very awesome to me, and helped out a lot, so thank you very much.

The main thing i'm concerned about with the JSX is the Heavy Metal tone.. Like i need a really good Thrash/Death Metal rhythm tone, that can still do solos and i've been reading how it might not be strong enough..

Does anyone agree or disagree?
Quote by xkmattx
soemthing to keep in mind tho, whether your into "between the buried and me" or not they do play lots of different styles within their CD's. dusty uses a mesa roadking live and paul uses a mesa dual rack mount unit. Both those amps sound great for everything they play (deathmetal to prog rock to southern rock, to jazz fusion).

Paul uses a Mark V now.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Page 1 of 2