Page 1 of 4
I would've thought this topic would've existed by now, but according to the searchbar it doesn't.

Anyway, I'm wondering, does it bother you or keep you from respecting a musician who doesn't write their own music? Because it bothers me. A lot. When I listen to music, I want to hear songs written by the singer, because there's more personality to it. I know about 90+% of musicians don't write their own stuff. Rihanna, Meat Loaf, Ringo Starr are a few just off the top of my head. I don't like any of those three, probably for that reason.
Not really.

There are people who can't write for shit but are amazing at sing/performing/etc.

Then there are people who are the exact opposite.

Put them together and it becomes something pretty good.

I do like musicians who do their own work more though.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
ringo writes
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I would say that they are good singers or instrumentalists, but certainly not good songwriters. And I will certainly think less of them as musicians because they are basically playing someone elses song, not their own.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by itchy guitar
I would say that they are good singers or instrumentalists, but certainly not good songwriters. And I will think less of them as musicians because they are basically playing someone elses song, not their own.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not really interested in talent so much as I'm interested in actual songs.
Those '90% of musicians' you're thinking of are all shit pop 'musicians' who probably don't even deserve to be called musicians.

Anyway, yes it does bother me. If you are incapable of making your own music then you arn't a very good musician. More like a player piano.
I can't think of a single reason how who wrote the song would affect whether you like it. If you like the song, then you like the song.

And listen to Octopus' Garden - The Beatles, TS.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
I respect alot of people who don't write their own music. People in orchestras and stuff like that.

Take Andres Segovia, he didn't write his own stuff (as far as I know), but he transcribed many songs from the great composers to guitar to establish guitar as a solo instument.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
I respect alot of people who don't write their own music. People in orchestras and stuff like that.

Take Andres Segovia, he didn't write his own stuff (as far as I know), but he transcribed many songs from the great composers to guitar to establish guitar as a solo instument.

People in orchestras are good instrument players yes but i dont think you can call yourself a good musician if you're only playing other peoples songs even if you are doing it well. You're a good instrumentalist but if you are not makingyour own music then that's not being a good musician
Quote by itchy guitar
I would say that they are good singers or instrumentalists, but certainly not good songwriters. And I will think less of them as musicians because they are basically playing someone elses song, not their own.

If all you have ever done in your life is perform someone else's work, what good are you? You are like a boombox, spitting out what you've been told to spit out. I have no respect, as a musician, for those who don't compose their own music. I think it is perfectly fine for people to play or sing other people's music while they are learning how to play or sing, but when you have matured enough to be a musician yourself, you should write your own music.

(the "you" in this post addressed not to you, itchy, but to the reader)
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Zoot Allures
People in orchestras are good instrument players yes but i dont think you can call yourself a good musician if you're only playing other peoples songs even if you are doing it well. You're a good instrumentalist but if you are not makingyour own music then that's not being a good musician

Yes, that's all well and good.

But how does that affect the quality of the song/piece?
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
This question is too easy.

Songwriting is a hundred times more important than playing ability. I mean, look at Batio and how much his songs suck because, even though they are insane, they lack songwriting.
Milli Vanilli.

That is all.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
Quote by cam_sampbell
Yes, that's all well and good.

But how does that affect the quality of the song/piece?

I never said it did :S i'm just saying it would be wrong to call them musicians if they arn't making their own music. Instrumentalists yes and im sure they're very good at playing their instrument but they are not making their own songs.
It doesn't bother me in the slightest, Frank Sinatra didn't write any of his own songs, he still had an incredible voice and was an iconic musical figure that millions enjoyed listening to. Nothing wrong with not writing songs at all, infact, if someone was a great performer but not a good song writer i'd prefer they played to their strengths rather than pining to the whims of elitists and coming out with lower quality music.
Quote by darkstar2466
If all you have ever done in your life is perform someone else's work, what good are you? You are like a boombox, spitting out what you've been told to spit out

Correction, a boombox plays the same thing over and over again. A true musician will play their own interpretation of a piece of music. Yo-Yo Ma doesn't always write what he plays but every time he plays something he plays it his own way instead of copying someone else.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I never said it did :S i'm just saying it would be wrong to call them musicians if they arn't making their own music. Instrumentalists yes and im sure they're very good at playing their instrument but they are not making their own songs.

The word you're looking for is composer, not musician. Playing an instrument, but not writing original material still makes you a musician.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Momentosis
Not really.

There are people who can't write for shit but are amazing at sing/performing/etc.

Then there are people who are the exact opposite.

Put them together and it becomes something pretty good.

I do like musicians who do their own work more though.

Case in point: Pete Townsend's writing + Roger Daltrey's voice = legendary.

TBH I don't worry that much about it, as long as it's good. From an abstract standpoint I prefer performers to write their own music; but then again, if your band's bassist writes a cool riff you want to double on guitar, or the drummer comes up with some good lyrics, does that automatically make you a horrible musician? I'm a little more against outside songwriters, but I don't flip out about it either.
Led Zeppelin.

Even though Zeppelin fans like to pretend that they did write every song ever. My old drummer actually got angry and yelled at me when I told him that Zeppelin was just a Willy Dixon cover band with distortion.
Quote by nincompoop
Yeah, apparently some guy called Jim Steinman writes all his songs.

Steinman was technically part of the band for a while, but obviously the band was named for Meat Loaf.
If I like the song/piece, I don't care who has played it first.
ಠ_ಠ
I dont really like Coldplay.

On a more serious note though, you're nothing if you cant write your own music.
Quote by The Kreator
This question is too easy.

Songwriting is a hundred times more important than playing ability. I mean, look at Batio and how much his songs suck because, even though they are insane, they lack songwriting.

hey thats not fair, batio rulez!!! did you check out his work with Nitro?? that has songwriting!!!
Quote by darkstar2466
If all you have ever done in your life is perform someone else's work, what good are you? You are like a boombox, spitting out what you've been told to spit out. I have no respect, as a musician, for those who don't compose their own music. I think it is perfectly fine for people to play or sing other people's music while they are learning how to play or sing, but when you have matured enough to be a musician yourself, you should write your own music.

(the "you" in this post addressed not to you, itchy, but to the reader)

I caught it
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Musician =/= Composer.

You can be both, but you can also be only a musician.
Quote by pwrmax
Correction, a boombox plays the same thing over and over again. A true musician will play their own interpretation of a piece of music. Yo-Yo Ma doesn't always write what he plays but every time he plays something he plays it his own way instead of copying someone else.

Your argument only fortifies mine. I think it is okay for someone to play other people's music without alterations or through their own interpretations, as long as the person writes his/her own music and doesn't exclusively play other people's stuff.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
well the person who is playing someones music isnt a musician because a musician can write music those who play others songs are instruments of the musician who wrote the song thats how i see it doesnt make the song any worse
Quote by TheBadPlace
Case in point: Pete Townsend's writing + Roger Daltrey's voice = legendary.

TBH I don't worry that much about it, as long as it's good. From an abstract standpoint I prefer performers to write their own music; but then again, if your band's bassist writes a cool riff you want to double on guitar, or the drummer comes up with some good lyrics, does that automatically make you a horrible musician? I'm a little more against outside songwriters, but I don't flip out about it either.

I don't really count bands in this. At least the writer of the song is part of the group playing the song, plus the writer generally has a vision of how the song's played and they get to have it played exactly how they want it along with the other musicians. I'm talking about when a pop singer (let's say Miley Cyrus) gets handed a bunch of songs, plays them, and throws them on a CD as if it's all her doing. If these people can't write their own shit, they should be in bands, or they should be doing session work. It just doesn't sit right with me when a singer puts a CD out of glorified covers.
A musician who doesn't write songs isn't a musician in the first place. They'd just be a singer or guitarist or whatever instrument they played-ist.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
A musician is someone who plays music.
A composer is someone who writes music.

Is it really that hard to distinguish?
Page 1 of 4