Grant Green is pure awesome. My favorite albums of his are Matador and Green Street. I love his simple yet fluid way of playing. You guys know of anyone that plays like Green... im looking for recomendations...thanks in advance
Grant is kilin'. So tasteful and swinging. I'm currently transcribing his solo on Green Dolphin Street.
12 fret fury
Quote by Punk Poser
Grant is kilin'. So tasteful and swinging. I'm currently transcribing his solo on Green Dolphin Street.

Never heard his version of that...heard Barney Kessel's version of it though, good song. you gonna post that transcription?
Grant Green is one of my favorites. The Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark is required listening for fans.
Grant Green's one of my favourite hard bop guitarists, his playing is so simple yet sophisticated.
I'd recommend listening his album Idle Moments, it's an absolute classic. It's a pretty unusual ensemble too - it's got guitar, vibraphone and piano all in the rhythm section, so there's some pretty lush and complex harmonic action happening there.
Green Street is another great album, but because it's just a guitar-bass-drums trio it's interesting comparing his role on that album to how he plays on Idle Moments. The two albums really show his full range as a performer.
EDIT: If you're looking for another guitarist in that style, check out Kenny Burrell's album Midnight Blue. It's another Blue-Note album from the mid 60s, and it's got a similar vibe to what Grant Green was doing around then.

Last edited by pangui at Dec 30, 2009,
Quote by pangui
Grant Green's one of my favourite hard bop guitarists, his playing is so simple yet sophisticated.
I'd recommend listening his album Idle Moments, it's an absolute classic. It's a pretty unusual ensemble too - it's got guitar, vibraphone and piano all in the rhythm section, so there's some pretty lush and complex harmonic action happening there.
Green Street is another great album, but because it's just a guitar-bass-drums trio it's interesting comparing his role on that album to how he plays on Idle Moments. The two albums really show his full range as a performer.
EDIT: If you're looking for another guitarist in that style, check out Kenny Burrell's album Midnight Blue. It's another Blue-Note album from the mid 60s, and it's got a similar vibe to what Grant Green was doing around then.

Yeah I already have Midnight Blue; great album...def one of my favs