3 10%
RG350 EX BK
4 14%
SAS32 EX BK
2 7%
S470 BK
20 69%
Voters: 29.
If everything goes right, i should buy a new guitar next year. Budget will be around 450€ but i can stretch it to 500.
I want to buy a Ibanez guitar, and im down to 4 choices:

RG370 DX BK (407&euro

RG350 EX BK (435&euro This is the one i have intention to buy

SAS32 EX BK (465&euro

S470 BK (500&euro

Can anyone recommend which one to buy?
I want to play mostly metal, alternative rock and use alternative tunings without having to worry about the guitar detuning itself or to have any broken strings.
A guitar with a good sound for recording would be good.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
* at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
It's morphing time bitches.
Last edited by TunaFish at Dec 29, 2009,
what amp do you have
Gear
Guitar

Ibanez Art100
Amp
Peavey Valveking 212
Effects
Dunlop Slash Wah
EHX Metal Muff
The only Ibanez's I like are the hollowbodies and the Jetking Series (I actually own one). thats just preference. ive played the 370 and didnt like it, but my buddy says its great, and he plays metal.
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
If you are going to change tunings a lot do not get a guitar with a trem, as they do take a lot of adjusting when you change tunings, you have to adjust bridge tension, bridge height, and intonation everytime you change tunings which all in all is a royal pain in the bottom.

It also depends on what tone you want also, basswood guitars are very transparent and i find your other gear matters a lot more when it comes to tone when playing with a basswood instrument, they are also very middy sounding.

Mahogany is warmer, has a nice bass response and again has plenty lower mids, it is one of the preferred tone woods for heavy metal.

If you are dead set on one of those 4 i would say go with the Ibanez s470, the bridge is a ZR Bridge which are a lot less of a pain than an edge 3, they dont tend to wear out, and are easier to adjust as the tension adjuster is a wheel on the back of the guitar, so if you want to change tunings its one less job for you. Its also mahogany bodied and they are very comfortable guitars to play, that being said i absolutely love the S series Ibanez guitars to bits so i am a little biased
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Brogers
what amp do you have

Right now im stuck with a fender frontman 15 to practice at home.
But i usually record guitar playing with toneport.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
* at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by Talentless
If you are going to change tunings a lot do not get a guitar with a trem, as they do take a lot of adjusting when you change tunings, you have to adjust bridge tension, bridge height, and intonation everytime you change tunings which all in all is a royal pain in the bottom.

It also depends on what tone you want also, basswood guitars are very transparent and i find your other gear matters a lot more when it comes to tone when playing with a basswood instrument, they are also very middy sounding.

Mahogany is warmer, has a nice bass response and again has plenty lower mids, it is one of the preferred tone woods for heavy metal.

If you are dead set on one of those 4 i would say go with the Ibanez s470, the bridge is a ZR Bridge which are a lot less of a pain than an edge 3, they dont tend to wear out, and are easier to adjust as the tension adjuster is a wheel on the back of the guitar, so if you want to change tunings its one less job for you. Its also mahogany bodied and they are very comfortable guitars to play, that being said i absolutely love the S series Ibanez guitars to bits so i am a little biased

Yeah, i heard the 350EX is a pain in the ass regarding alternative tunings.
So you say the s470 is a better choice?
What about the sound of it?
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
* at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by TunaFish
Yeah, i heard the 350EX is a pain in the ass regarding alternative tunings.
So you say the s470 is a better choice?
What about the sound of it?

The S470 will be easier than the RG to change tunings, but not easy, it will still be a pain in the rear end, i would advise a fixed bridge Ibanez RG to be honest.

Stock pickups on all ibanez guitars leave a lot to be desired, so its just down to tonewoods really, the S series will have more bass response, it will be warmer and fuller sounding. Whilst the RG will have a boosted mid range and a bit more bite to it.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
S470, of those. If you can find it, an RGA42FM would work pretty well, as would a used RGA Prestige RGA121.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'd take the S470 myself, but as it has been said before... changing tuning and strings will be a pain.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Hmm... im starting to think a fixed bridge one is better for me...
I use alternative tunings alot, so i think i wont have much patient with those guitars bridges...

Can someone tell me a good Ibanez guitar that has a fixed bridge?

edit: these 2 guitars below are any good?

RGR321EX or RG321MH?
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
* at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by TunaFish
Hmm... im starting to think a fixed bridge one is better for me...
I use alternative tunings alot, so i think i wont have much patient with those guitars bridges...

Can someone tell me a good Ibanez guitar that has a fixed bridge?

edit: these 2 guitars below are any good?

RGR321EX or RG321MH?

Sure. RGA42FM, RGA121 Prestige (used).
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
A fixed bridge would be a better idea if your using alternate tunings, why not go jackson they have a lot of great guitars for metal with/without FR's. As for Ibanez's i have the S520EX which is fairly similar S470. I'm guessing it will have Ibanez's Infinity pickups, if its new, which you will more than likely wanna change out. But you've still got the FR issue with alternate tunings...
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

NONE! Get a real guitar... JK. I'm a huge fan of the S series although that's possibly out of your price range if you'd liek a really nice one. Good Luck
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
Quote by oneblackened
Sure. RGA42FM, RGA121 Prestige (used).

This all the way, constantly changing tunings and floating bridges aren't always a match made in heaven. Not too mention the other downsides with floating bridges that you have.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
This all the way, constantly changing tunings and floating bridges aren't always a match made in heaven. Not too mention the other downsides with floating bridges that you have.

Plus RGA's are just awesome - Gibraltar bridges are amazing.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
go play the guitar yourself somewhere.

its all about the personal connection with the guitar.
You can't do that off a picture.

not all guitars are the same...even the same models.
Thanks for the answer guys.
I could only find a Ibanez RGA32 and a Ibanez RGA42 (not the FM one).
Is the RGA42 any good?
on UG: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/ibanez/rga42/index.html
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
* at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Last edited by TunaFish at Dec 30, 2009,
THe RGA42 always has the EQ switch and the flamed top. If it doesn't have either of those, it's not an RGA42.

And yes it's quite a nice playing guitar. I want one quite badly.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
^ Yeah im thinking of buying it... i guess its better them the RGA32 cause its more expensive but still...
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
* at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
Quote by cakeandpiemofo