Page 1 of 2
Hey UG'ers got a question for ye. I'm in need of a small quality combo amp (low wattage type stuff, I don't jam) and I am in need of some advice of which to get.

The contestants are:
1. Orange crush 15r
2. Vox pathfinder 15 OR 10
3.Bugera V5
or maybe the Traynor DynaGain 15 watt

Hoping someone has some insight into either of these amps and can help a brother out!

PS: I say "under $200" because all of these amps are indeed under $200, and I like that.

thanks!
name some bands u want to emulate. willing to go used? how about a modeling amp? vypyrs are actually really good as far as modeling amps go.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
oh yea? hmm I didn't think of that one because I normally use pedals. Umm lets see here play stuff like muse, RATM, Incubus, anything nice and classic rock like, and something that can produce a nice bluesy/ funk tone.

edit: sorry forgot to mention that in the first place. Mainly I guess something that takes pedals real well.
Last edited by Steve46 at Dec 29, 2009,
^+1

though it depends what kind of music you're playing. And also I think it costs $250. But still...a fantastic amp.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
I would get a Peavey Vypyr for the simple fact of how versatile it is at low volumes. I have one a Blues Deville and most circumstances (at Home ) require me to play at manageable volumes.
Crate V18
Micro cube.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
thank you thank you sirs!!! I am liking the sound of this Vox AC4TV8 though. MOAR INVESTIGATION!!
I'll check out the vypyr toooo
sweet lordy soo much to check out!! I wish I could play any of these amps before I buy them but alas music stores in my town suckkkkk
hmmm I've think I've got it narrowed down to either the Vox Pathfinder 10 or 15R
I can get the 10 for $78 and the 15R for $147, I've heard many a good thing about both so I'm unsure about thiiiiis
Vox 15VT which of course is the Valvetronix series. It is $199 but gets great reviews at this cheap amp type range. I would consider the versatility of a practice combo like this as other have said. You can always go with a Vypyr like others have already said to save even more money. Good luck!
A tiny tube amp that always has to be cranked to sound good will not last. Also they have to be cranked. That means they are still going to be loud all the time to sound decent. And they have no features whatsoever. I'm a fan of tube amps but I cannot disregard the awesomeness of modelling amps for low volume playing.
Quote by danohat
A tiny tube amp that always has to be cranked to sound good will not last. Also they have to be cranked. That means they are still going to be loud all the time to sound decent. And they have no features whatsoever. I'm a fan of tube amps but I cannot disregard the awesomeness of modelling amps for low volume playing.

Tube amps do not have to be cranked to sound good; generally cranking an amp makes it sound better.

TS: Avoid the Orange. The Crush series is more or less their "MG" series - an overpriced, unreliable practice amp that sounds nothing like its tube brothers.

Since you use a lot of effects to achieve your tones then I'd have to second Goolz' recommendation for a Crate V18. Nice cleans, decent drive, and they take pedals well.
I'm really referring to the 4 and 5 watt amps. They have tiny speakers and fart with any kind of gain. Cleans are nice. But let's face it. None of us are sitting down to practice with a completely clean, no reverb sound. If so, it gets boring pretty quick.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Tube amps do not have to be cranked to sound good; generally cranking an amp makes it sound better.

TS: Avoid the Orange. The Crush series is more or less their "MG" series - an overpriced, unreliable practice amp that sounds nothing like its tube brothers.

Since you use a lot of effects to achieve your tones then I'd have to second Goolz' recommendation for a Crate V18. Nice cleans, decent drive, and they take pedals well.

Listen to this dude. I second (or third?) his suggestion. I also put in some rep for the VT, my friend has one, and I like it. It's definitely not the best, but still good. But still, look up the Crate.

I also owned the Crush. Very meh. It's not as bad as the MG (although I'm sure had they put actual distortion on it it would be). Definitely not as good as the Crate/Vox
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by danohat
I'm really referring to the 4 and 5 watt amps. They have tiny speakers and fart with any kind of gain. Cleans are nice. But let's face it. None of us are sitting down to practice with a completely clean, no reverb sound. If so, it gets boring pretty quick.

Most of the small watt amps have 10 or 12" speakers - sorry that those are too tiny for you. Also, if you get the head versions you could get pair it with a 2x12 if a single speaker isn't enough.
Do you have one? Would you really pair a tiny amp with a 2x12 cab? The vox ac4 has an 8 inch speaker. The Fender champ 600 has a 6 inch speaker.
Quote by danohat
Do you have one? Would you really pair a tiny amp with a 2x12 cab? The vox ac4 has an 8 inch speaker. The Fender champ 600 has a 6 inch speaker.

Yes I would pair a tiny amp with a 2x12 - it wouldn't be any different than pairing it with two 1x12 cabs, which a lot of people do. The AC4 combo has an 8", however the cab has a 12" speaker, Marshall Class 5 has a 10" speaker, Blackstar HT-5 has a 10" speaker; however a lot of people pair it with 12" speakers. The Champ is the only exception here, but its not that popular of an amp to begin with.
Blackstar ht-5 head 400.00
Marshall class 5 400.00
400.00 for 5 watts. No way!
Quote by danohat
Blackstar ht-5 head 400.00
Marshall class 5 400.00
400.00 for 5 watts. No way!

We weren't talking about price, we were talking about speaker size.

However, I'd pay $400 for a good 5 watt amp any day - they are excellent for studio use.
Quote by danohat
But the TS isn't looking for a 400 dollar amp.

No one recommended him one. You made the statement that all 4 and 5 watt amps won't last because you have to crank them and they have tiny speakers. You were wrong on both aspects of that because you don't have to crank them to make them sound good and they don't have tiny speakers.

Whenever it was pointed out that you were wrong you started making arguments that didn't even relate to your OP.
oh wow guys, you just happen to go to bed for 7 hours and wake up to moarrr postss!
Ummm lets see I will forsure check out this crate v18 before I make any hastey decisions.
I saw the fender champ 600 series and ehhhh even though it is $170, I like the idea of being able to control the trebel and bass.

I saw all the blackheart and all that jazz like that, no doubt they would be sweet amps! but maybe not what I'm looking for riiiiight now, but thanks to everyone for puttin in their 2 cents, it helps alot!
Quote by Steve46
oh wow guys, you just happen to go to bed for 7 hours and wake up to moarrr postss!
Ummm lets see I will forsure check out this crate v18 before I make any hastey decisions.
I saw the fender champ 600 series and ehhhh even though it is $170, I like the idea of being able to control the trebel and bass.

I saw all the blackheart and all that jazz like that, no doubt they would be sweet amps! but maybe not what I'm looking for riiiiight now, but thanks to everyone for puttin in their 2 cents, it helps alot!

For what you're looking for I really do think the V18 would suit you pretty well.
although....ebay is telling me that the crate v18 is $280..... andd I cant seem to order it through long and Mcquade orrr axemusic
Last edited by Steve46 at Dec 30, 2009,
Teh evilbay isn't the best place to shop for gear because a lot of times it is overpriced.

Have you checked your local craigslist for anything?
baha thats funny! Wont find that in MY local craigslist anyway ahha I think one of the music stores in town could order it but it'd be rediculously over priced like everything in their store
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Yes I would pair a tiny amp with a 2x12 - it wouldn't be any different than pairing it with two 1x12 cabs, which a lot of people do. The AC4 combo has an 8", however the cab has a 12" speaker, Marshall Class 5 has a 10" speaker, Blackstar HT-5 has a 10" speaker; however a lot of people pair it with 12" speakers. The Champ is the only exception here, but its not that popular of an amp to begin with.

The Vox AC4 combo now ships with a 10" speaker, retailing at most places for $249.

You can still find AC4s with the 8" for $199.

(You can also get it just as a head and buy the matching cabinet, or not.)
Quote by WillB13
Vox AC4TV8

THIS!
Quote by lkngro
^+1

though it depends what kind of music you're playing. And also I think it costs $250. But still...a fantastic amp.

No, the 8 inch speaker version is only $199.

EDIT:Beaten to it.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
hmmm so far the vox is a win ! although after reading rave reviews on the pathfinder series I'm stuck again aha
Quote by Steve46
hmmm so far the vox is a win ! although after reading rave reviews on the pathfinder series I'm stuck again aha

The pathfinders aren't bad, but the AC4 is better.

And I like the V18 better than that. If you can't pull an extra 60 dollars for one off evilbay, try a V5 or a Palomino V5. Palo V5's are the best 5 watt amps I've ever played.

Also look for used Crate Vintage Club amps. Great sounding and cheap.

If that fails, look used for some Laneys and Peaveys.

If you don't want to go the tube route, the only modeler I can get behind are the Vox ones. They sound and respond the most like tube amps out of the modelers I've played.
Page 1 of 2