I'm in the market for my first set of new bass strings. I was planning on getting Rotos, but with their recent (ish) relabeling and new products, I'm back to square 1.

4 string bass
standard tuning
don't want to alter my truss rod or nut (read: "normal" gauge please)
I'd prefer a bright sounding string (which would be roundwound right?)
I have a Squier VM JBass

What strings should I look into? EBs? D'addarios? The new Rotos?

I specifically need to know what GAUGE is "normal" for standard tuning, the 10s of guitars if you will.
45-105 maybe?

I like the feel of EBs, the long life of Elixirs and the sound of 3 month old round wounds, but that's me
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Casketcreep

TBH with how much more intelligent the questions were and how they were asked in this thread, you should probably be telling the other guy to come here
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Thanks.

Quote by anarkee
or maybe the FAQ?

Based on what I read in the FAQ, I wanted to get the Rotos. I see the link a few posts above this one for the new Rotos, does that "extra long scale" matter in my case?

These would fit the bill for a Squier VM JBass, no?

http://www.amazon.com/Rotosound-Swing-Guitar-Strings-Scale/dp/B0002GNSTW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1262129040&sr=8-1
35" is seen as extra long, while the squire is 34"

I have a 35" bass and I've never bothered with extra long before
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

They will fit fine on your bass. You may need to use some wire clippers to take off some excess string. I use Rotos and Elites on most of my basses.
I use D'Addario ProSteel EPS190's. They're Super Bright according to the packaging. I personaly love the sound they give, they fade after a while but still give out a lovely tone.

I tried the standad Roto's and was disapointed, probably because I was so used to the D'Addario's.

In terms of scale I belive the standard is .45/.65/.85/.105? Not to sure off this as I use .40/.60/.80/.100. But anything around that will work for standard tuning.
Since you have narrowed it down to roundwound strings, now you must decide whether you want stainless steel or nickel plated strings. Stainless steel often sounds sharper than nickel plated. Nickel plated usually feel easier on your fingers; particularly when doing slides along the strings (less string noise).

Rotosound RS66 are the most popular stainless strings. but some people believe that they lose their tone faster than a lot of other strings (I am not one of them). DR makes a great many stainless steel bass strings, and a lot of people swear by them. They tend to cost more than their competitors, though.

The most popular nickel plated strings are probably GHS, as they are pretty good, available everywhere, and they usually sell for a few bucks less than their competitors. D'Addario strings are also very popular, and are easy to find. Ernie Ball nickel plated strings are reasonably priced and sound very good. I have a set on one of my six strings right now, and they have improved the tone noticeably.

Another option is coated strings. They have some form of polyurethane coating to make the string last longer because it is more corrosion-resistant. The most popular coated strings are the Elixir strings. DR makes coated strings in various colors: Black Beauties, Red Devils, Peacock Blue, etc. The Black Beauties are very popular coated strings, and they sound very good. They have a warmer tone than any non-coated strings. Some people like that; others do not. GHS makes the Infinity strings, which are coated with a crimson red material. They are very nice sounding and easy on your fingers, but you don't see them for sale in a lot of places. Cleartone is also a popular coated string, but a bit pricey.

Picking bass strings is a royal pain in the ass because there are a lot of them out there, and none of them are cheap. Narrow down your criteria as much as you can, and then try a few that fit those criteria. It is really the only way to do it.