Page 1 of 2
The guy at my local shop (not a GC) says to hang it by the neck (on the wall) like they do in the store. He said it is the most natural way to hang it, and setting it on a stand is not good for the neck - same with laying it down or putting it in it's case. So where do you leave your guitar?
Quote by mort1
know im in the wrong forum
im not stupid........... duh
if you havent notised there is alot of ignorant people here,,,,,,,
He's trying to get you to buy a wall-hanger. He must've ordered too many in over xmas and now has surplus stock he's trying to ditch.

Tell him to **** off, there's nothing wrong with leaving them in stands. Or in their cases. So long as you make the effort to maintain them, guitars will be fine in any (sensible) place.
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Dec 29, 2009,
I have wall hangers for the ones I like the most. The rest I leave in a stand.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
My electric I have lying down/on it's site in its case (I don't know if thats bad or not) and my acoustic is on a stand.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Isn't hanging them worse because it puts stress on the the neck joint?
Gear
Guitar

Ibanez Art100
Amp
Peavey Valveking 212
Effects
Dunlop Slash Wah
EHX Metal Muff
mine is in teh case all the time. nothing bad has happened so far...
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Quote by Brogers
Isn't hanging them worse because it puts stress on the the neck joint?

If anything this, but it's unlikely to affect it too much seeing as how necks are designed to withstand a large amount of stress from string tension anyway.
I have both, a wall hanger, and a stand.

But I was also told that hanging a guitar is the best way to store it. Apparently it can help striaghten out the neck?
I have some guitars in a case, some hanging up, but none really on stands. Even so, the stands I do have don't use the neck.

Either way, using a stand or leaving it in a case is not bad. But if you do plan on leaving it locked up in a case for an extending amount of time then be sure to clean it off. The oils from your hands can corrode hardware.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
I would worry more with a wall hanger, not to mention that if your wall is an exterior one your guitar would constantly be going out of tune due to the cold
Quote by Eddie4President
I lean them against the corners of the room.

Me 2, and it always works, and its free. LOL
2 of mine are in cases, and one is carefully leaning against a wall, I haven't had any problems
Quote by UtBDan

You in particular? I want you to **** off and die.
I have them on wall hangers (except my double neck, they don't make a double neck wall hanger)

but what he's telling you is bullshit, wall hangers probably put more stress on the neck than a stand, since not only is it fighting string tension, but also gravity. I just put mine on the hangers because I have a dog, and it could knock the stands over.
I have wall-hangers in my bedroom for my guitars/bass
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I have them on wall hangers (except my double neck, they don't make a double neck wall hanger)

but what he's telling you is bullshit, wall hangers probably put more stress on the neck than a stand, since not only is it fighting string tension, but also gravity. I just put mine on the hangers because I have a dog, and it could knock the stands over.

two single neck hangers spaced apart?
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Hanger, case, up against the wall and on a stand.

I think they're ok... all this stuff about the correct way to store guitars sounds like bs anyway. It's a peice of wood with a metal rod in it. It's not that damn fragile.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by ratracekid111
two single neck hangers spaced apart?

it weighs 20 pounds. studs in the wall are spaced a foot apart.

one of the hangers would be held by nothing but drywall.... that would go very badly.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

one of the hangers would be held by nothing but drywall.... that would go very badly.

Oh, I see, good point
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
I usually have them in their bags, but the fucking zipper on my Beast bag is a horrendous mound of ocelot shit. It broke 4 days after I bought it. It had been opened and closed a total of 7-8 times. I got it repaired, and it happened again. So now it's just leaned up against the wall or amp.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Chop it in half, that way it only weighs 10 pounds each and you don't have to drill into drywall.

Don't think of it as "loosing a doubleneck" Think of it as gaining a 6 string and a 12 string guitar!

If that's what your guitar is ofc.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
In my fridge

Nah, i usually leave it upright against my desk, cant afford a stand at the moment
Wherever, it's only me in my apartment, so they're scattered everywhere haha

as long as they aren't in close quarters with something they can bang into, f*ck it
I have mine on wall hangers, and I can explain why everyone says not to use stands.

On the wall, it pulls straight down on the neck, so it tends to be in a "natural" position.

If you use a stand, the guitar is pushing its neck on the stand, which CAN cause problems with the neck. I know for a fact my friend had a 5-guitar stand, one that stores them sideways, and he went out of state, on vacation, then to college, and when he came back, the necks were in a slight curve, but just enough to mess it up.

Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by TheBigProjekt
I have mine on wall hangers, and I can explain why everyone says not to use stands.

On the wall, it pulls straight down on the neck, so it tends to be in a "natural" position.

If you use a stand, the guitar is pushing its neck on the stand, which CAN cause problems with the neck. I know for a fact my friend had a 5-guitar stand, one that stores them sideways, and he went out of state, on vacation, then to college, and when he came back, the necks were in a slight curve, but just enough to mess it up.

My stand pushes against the body not the neck so it can't really hurt anything right?
Gear
Guitar

Ibanez Art100
Amp
Peavey Valveking 212
Effects
Dunlop Slash Wah
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by Brogers
My stand pushes against the body not the neck so it can't really hurt anything right?

The back of the stand pretty much has to contact the neck somewhere, so it is pushing, but it wont do anything unless you don't touch your guitar for about a year, so don't worry about it.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by Eddie4President
I lean them against the corners of the room.

This, have one in it's case, and the other rests on that. Not had any problems yet
On stands.

How is leaving them standing bad for the neck? Surely it's a more natural way of storing them. I was always doubting the safety of hanging guitars by their heastocks. It seems to exert extra tension on the neck joint, as well as on the headstock scarf-joint for guitars that have them.

Although when you think about it, the tension exerted by the strings is far greater than the tension exerted by the body on the neck due to gravity, so it's not that big a difference.

I'd still prefer to have them standing, though.
Quote by Mazzakazza
He's trying to get you to buy a wall-hanger. He must've ordered too many in over xmas and now has surplus stock he's trying to ditch.

Tell him to **** off, there's nothing wrong with leaving them in stands. Or in their cases. So long as you make the effort to maintain them, guitars will be fine in any (sensible) place.

+1
KatehMonster
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Dude, if you were a lesbian asking out another lesbian in a man forum we would be going crazy too.
Quote by zerosystem
just because you're a girl and you get more pussy than me doesn't give you the right to brag.
2 electrics on stands and acoustic in hardshell case
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
In hard cases, in a cool room. The Strat stays out leaning against my amp most of the time. Because i hate it.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Last edited by UraniYum at Dec 29, 2009,
Page 1 of 2