What are the best bass strings for an Ibanez GSR200 bass, I play mostly classic rock and metal. And if amp matter to you answer I have a Peavey Max 158. Thanks.
xXHofnerXx
well what sort of strings do you want/like?
Bright/dull?
Flat/round/half/tape?
extra long lasting? (sometimes sacrifices tone)

Could do with more info
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
well what sort of strings do you want/like?
Bright/dull?
Flat/round/half/tape?
extra long lasting? (sometimes sacrifices tone)

Could do with more info

Bright sounding, and something that will last a while and wont get out of tune easily.
xXHofnerXx
off the little you've given me and my fairly limited explorations with strings all I have to say is:
Elixir strings are bright and coated so they stay even brighter for longer. Plus they sound good.
They're what Ibanez prestiges come with, so that can't be that bad

and seeing your edit, I'd say elixirs sound perfect
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Last edited by gilly_90 at Dec 29, 2009,
Umm...well...I know you're looking for something specific here but the reality is that the "best strings" are the ones which you personally like the best.

So that being said I imagine you haven't experimented too much with your strings so I'll recommend you look at either DR's or D'Addario, those consistently seem to be the best rated.

On winding, since once again I assume your knowledge of warm vs bright and your preference to them is lacking I recommend you go with something moderately bright rather than a warm tone (for now, you may later change your mind).
Edit: NVM slow post

Ultimately DR High Beams or D'Addario EXP or a Nickel Wounds should be good choices for now
I'm not sure if these are "the best" string but my favorite strings are Peavey Element Strings. They give a tone that I don't even know how to describe. They sound great for Metal and Hard Rock. They cost around $22.50 (CND$). I suggest you try them out.
I'm trying to decide between D'adarrio and elixir. Which one do you guys think i should go with?
xXHofnerXx
Quote by thenubassist
I'm trying to decide between D'adarrio and elixir. Which one do you guys think i should go with?

scratch that. I think im going to go with Elixir. Thanks for your help guys.
xXHofnerXx
D'addario are really best value for money imo. Nickel Wound series gives me the best tone in the world. I'll upload a sample.

EDIT: check it out here - http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/27598/Aample_of_my_bass_tone
Last edited by nesveikuolis at Dec 30, 2009,
um, Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies are bright, and last a good time. You should give them a try, and they won't cost you an arm and a leg like elixir's will.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
I can get elixirs cheaper than EBS
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by thenubassist
scratch that. I think im going to go with Elixir. Thanks for your help guys.

a steel string set is cheaper, lasts about as long in many cases, and is far brighter.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
rotosound, carvin, and DR all make them. I'd suggest rotos.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by gilly_90
off the little you've given me and my fairly limited explorations with strings all I have to say is:
Elixir strings are bright and coated so they stay even brighter for longer. Plus they sound good.
They're what Ibanez prestiges come with, so that can't be that bad

and seeing your edit, I'd say elixirs sound perfect

This right here. They're a bit pricy, but last about a half a year (for me anyways).
^ I get all Scroodgey with my money and make them last closer to a year
I've had my current ones for about 15 months now and they only really died a month and a half ago.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
^ I get all Scroodgey with my money and make them last closer to a year
I've had my current ones for about 15 months now and they only really died a month and a half ago.

I'm too picky with my strings to let them last that long...If they start dying at all they're being replaced. I'll probably just replace the E multiple times while the rest of the set holds fine.
I usually use Ernie Ball strings, but my ESP came strung with SIT [Stay In Tune] Strings, and I've liked them a lot, and I might even be switching to them instead of Ernie Balls. =]
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by Pew-Pew
I think other people might have a different opinion of that 'perfect' tone.

I love this one. I'm just showing my oppinion on what tone would fit "Bright sounding, and something that will last a while and wont get out of tune easily."
Cheers
i play the same sorta music as you and i always go for dean markley blue steel bass strings. they sound great, lovely bright tone and last for AGES.

look for them on ebay or something.
I'm a d'Addario fan myself. Not sure why, I think it's a feel thing. They don't last the longest or sound the brightest but I like 'em. But you have to find what strings work best for your fingers on your bass.