Here is my problem, I have can play 8th notes and 16th notes along with a metronome up till certain speeds I am a bit of a noob and realize 16th notes at 120-140 bpm is a little fast for me right now. I think a lot of my problem is when I am trying to solo and make it interesting, I tend to just play 8th notes or 16th notes, and its really hard for me to play 8th notes and have a quick little burst of 16th notes then switch back to 8th notes.

Is there any videos on youtube or lessons someone could link me to that will help me get that good pick burst while playing?
Try playing a riff all eighth notes a couple times, and then play it as sixteenth notes, playing each note twice. Then mix it up a bit and play like 2 eighth notes and then 4 sixteenth notes and then back to eighths. That might help get the feeling of changing from one to the other.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Freepower
Nope, just practice. Bear in mind that there's also triplets, sextuplets, quintuplets, dotted notes, etc... There's more out there.

I realize all the tuplets but what exactly is a dotted note...

i saw a tab in 4/4 timing and two half notes equal 1 bar usually, but for some reason there was a dotted half note and just a quarter note and that completed the bar. does the dot next to the half note tell you to hold it till the end of the bar duration? It just seemed like the dot next to the half note was causing it to actually be like a 3/4 note? confused
Last edited by PattyCakes at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by PattyCakes
I realize all the tuplets but what exactly is a dotted note...

A dotted note means that the notes is played for 1.5 times it's duration. So a dotted quarter note would be like a quarter note being tied to an eighth note. Double dotted is 1.75 times the duration, and then there's also triple dotted which just adds an eighth of the duration.

single dot = 1 + 1/2
double dot = 1 + 1/2 + 1/4
triple dot = 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
ok thats what I thought, cool glad you confirmed my notion because it was seriously one of those things that was starting to burn me everytime I had to see one and I would never remember to ask.
To make your playing "interesting" try focussing more on the actual sounds you're making rather than how fast or slow your fingers are moving.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com