Ok, right...I was going to invest in an Electro Harmonix memory boy as it is cheap, basic and what I was looking for, a delay.

I go to london and go into some music shops...ask for the toy, but say they only have the memory boy. After standing there for what seemed like years, I thought "sod it" and bought the memory boy. I didn't know much about the pedal as I wanted the boy, but as its the older brother, didn't think I could go wrong.

I paid a shocking £90 for it, and when I got home was very dissapointed with my purchase. Fortunatly I am able to take it back in little over a week so I shall be getting my monies back.

What do people think of it? Is it just me? Can you get a nice delay out of it?

Thanks for reading and look forward to your opinions
If you don't like the Boy, you probably won't like the Toy either. Maybe you just don't like analog delay? What specifically don't you like about it?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I can't comment with regards the performance (although I'm looking at the boy to satisfy my GAS, possibly the Small Clone but that's another matter), however, you did pay over the odds. The nearest shop to me charges £60 for the Toy and £70 for the Boy.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
I actually felt the same way when I tried it. I did like it a hell of a lot better than the Carbon Copy though. I tend to not like cheaper analog delays though. Maybe you should save a bit for the Malekko Ekko 616?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I actually saw you suggest that in another thread I think?

I checked it out, but seemed difficult to find. And I don't really wanna spend much on one either.

Hmm, I'm not sure what to do really :\

EDIT: I was after something to boost and add more feel to my solo's by the way. I thought a delay would really help
Last edited by moominman2 at Dec 29, 2009,
Ok thanks man I may keep an eye out for one. I might forget a delay atm and just get a boss ns-2.

The guy at the music shop said I had 2 weeks to return the boy if I didn't like it. I just hope he was true to his word haha.

But c'mon £90 was a rip
Quote by moominman2
I actually saw you suggest that in another thread I think?

I checked it out, but seemed difficult to find. And I don't really wanna spend much on one either.

Hmm, I'm not sure what to do really :\

Yeah, it's a great delay. One of my favorites actually. I'm not sure what their dealer network is like in Europe though.

You could also look at the Ibanez AD9 and BBE Two Timer. They're not much cheaper, although you could find either one used fairly easily.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Cheers people. The boss ns-2 is cheaper !

Do you both think I should take the memory boy back then?
It's not how I thought it would be but am I being too critical too soon?

I bought it today but...meh
1st question is why didn`t you try it through your guitar and either the same/similar amp in the shop?.

2nd questionwhy didn`t you do some research and try as many delays within your budget?

3rd question have you spoken to the store manager? you may only get 7 days to return it so a "little over" might work against you.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
1st question is why didn`t you try it through your guitar and either the same/similar amp in the shop?.

2nd questionwhy didn`t you do some research and try as many delays within your budget?

3rd question have you spoken to the store manager? you may only get 7 days to return it so a "little over" might work against you.

First answer, Im left handed...I didn't see any left handed guitars

Second Answer, I did do some research and I came out with the memory TOY as a good pedal to go with although ended up going for what I thought was a good idea with the older brother.

Third Answer, The person serving me assured me I could take it back within two weeks.

Stop trying to rinse me...It won't work.
I'm finding the pedal a lot better now i'v actually had the chance to go through it.

Although it does sound a bit mechanical, I like it. For my solo's it will do fine

Thanks for listening to my rant haha. I regret things too much !
As long as you keep the blend knob down all the way, you should have a pretty nice delay. Or maybe even put in a bit of blend if you want some more color. But make sure to try out the crazy modulation it does- crank up that blend knob and put it on the square wave mode and vibrato, it gets to be a really fun pedal .

Haha, your experience kinda reminds me of my experience with the Boss BF-2 flanger. At first I didn't like it too much and only thought I could get 1 "meh" sound out of it- actually wanted to sell it. But now I've learned how to use it properly and I love it.
Cheers man ! It doesn't sound half bad

I think im still going to take it back for them over charging me though. Not happy about it.

Ahhh I have your flanger! I bought it for £15 second hand haha. Got any good settings for it? That sounds like this experience haha
Quote by moominman2
Cheers man ! It doesn't sound half bad

I think im still going to take it back for them over charging me though. Not happy about it.

Ahhh I have your flanger! I bought it for £15 second hand haha. Got any good settings for it? That sounds like this experience haha

Good thinking. That's just bad business ripping you off like that. If you don't go for the Boy again, try the MXR Carbon Copy- it's $50 more than the Boy, though (don't know how that translates over the pond).

Woah, who woulda thought ? Some good settings I found are (these are 'o clocks) Manual: 9/Depth: 10:30/Rate: 1:30/Res:9 for a kinda tinny chorus sound, Manual:11/Depth:12/Rate:9/Res:1 for that classic airplane flange, and a cool thing I found out is trying out different Manual and Res settings while the Depth is all the way down- you can create some really cool tinny and almost robotic voices for your guitar. For instance, try barely increasing the Manual from nothing, you can kinda control your flange with bends; or just move the Manual knob around for a manual flange. Have fun!
Quote by GuerillaGorilla
Good thinking. That's just bad business ripping you off like that. If you don't go for the Boy again, try the MXR Carbon Copy- it's $50 more than the Boy, though (don't know how that translates over the pond).

Woah, who woulda thought ? Some good settings I found are (these are 'o clocks) Manual: 9/Depth: 10:30/Rate: 1:30/Res:9 for a kinda tinny chorus sound, Manual:11/Depth:12/Rate:9/Res:1 for that classic airplane flange, and a cool thing I found out is trying out different Manual and Res settings while the Depth is all the way down- you can create some really cool tinny and almost robotic voices for your guitar. For instance, try barely increasing the Manual from nothing, you can kinda control your flange with bends; or just move the Manual knob around for a manual flange. Have fun!

Haha cheers boss. Thats a great help ! Ill give that ago in a bit

Yeah I'v heard good things about the carbon copy. I might look at digital delays first and see what they're like compared to anologue. Or I may just use the money for an amp service! It's a win win situation haha

Thanks for the help