Hey all, well I am kinda new to this forum - I joined as I need some help!! My band (Rock and Metal) is going to be touring local pubs and clubs pretty soon so I am in need of an amp change - something pretty good. I would pref-ably like a Valve amp but have added a few non Valve amps as an option. I have narrowed my choices down to the following (for new amps):

Peavey Vypyr 100
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Peavey Valve King 212
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Vox Valvetronix VT100 (2x12 combo)

And the following options for 2nd hand amps:

Peavey Windsor half stack (only problem I've heard is this is not good for Metal and heavier tones).
Marshall Valvestate VS100H half stack

I am quite confused about the Peavey Vypyr range in the fact that the Tube sounds a lot nicer, but a lot of people say that the normal Vypyr is better than most of the valve options. Personally I don't think you can get a better sound than Valve sound. Any suggestions would be great.
Valve King + OD and 10-band EQ probably.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
I'd take it even farther, and change the stock speaker/tubes as well.

The Vypyr Tube series is better then the SS series IMO, however if you're going used you could get things like a Line 6 Flextone, or a Peavey XXX/Ultra/5150.

If new is the option, a Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube is your best option out of the list IMO.
Quote by JesusCrisp

i nominate this
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
Hi, thanks for the replies. I have had a look at the Flextone and it seems pretty good. Thinking about maybe going second hand at the mo, out of the new ones I was looking mainly at the Valve King and the Vypyr Tube.
i'd take the Vyper tube, only because people have been saying its pretty good and i hate the valveking (at least when its stock)
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
I notice if you buy a Peavey Vypyr Tube in the US you can get a free Sanpera pedal, unfortunately I live in the UK
When someones looking for an amp in a certain price range don't tell him to get 2 more pedals and change the tubes and speakers, that's another 400-500 dollars. The Valve King is still good stock, there's room for improvement, but there's no need to immediately upgrade the whole thing. The Vypyr can get some pretty nice metal tones but the reliability and feel of it is just horrible, the one I played in the store broke after 5 minutes. I'd recommend the VT100 if you're looking for something very versatile, or if you play lighter rock, otherwise get the valveking
Name some bands that have a similar tone to what you're after so we can narrow it down.

Also what is your budget?

What other gear do you use?

Personally I'd avoid that Valveking unless you want to dump the extra money in to replace the tubes, the speakers, and the OT (and possible a mod) - stock they sound absolutely horrid, imo.

The Spider Valve is much better than the non-valve series, but there are better amps in its price range.

The Vypyrs sound pretty decent but they are not very user friendly at all - they can prove to be a bit complicated and confusing with their complex control system.

The Valvetronix series are great rock/hard rock amps, but I personally find them to be a bit lacking when it comes to metal. Out of the amps you listed I'd take either a VT or a Vypyr.

The Windsor is a great amp, imo, but its not very versatile - its great for rock and thrash metal but if you need great cleans then this amp isn't for you since its a single channel amp (unless you A/B it with another amp for cleans).

I don't have any experience with the Marshall but I've heard that the old Valvestate amps are alright. I believe (but am not positive) that Chuck Schuldiner used Valvestates at one point in his career.

I personally think that, depending on your budget, you could do much better than any of these amps that you have listed. However, if I had to pick one from your list it would either be the Vox or the Vypyr, like I had previously stated, due to overall tone, reliability, and versatility.
Vypyr 60 is a good tube amp and better sounding than the Spider Valve imo. The major problem that I have with a Peavey Vypyr is that they have had some pretty major problems with them in the past and I am not so sure that they are all worked out as I had a friend that had to return his after having it for only 2 days last week.

I personally own a Vox amp and I love it for the hard rock/metal music that I like to play. A few questions to you is what type of music is your band playing and what gear to you currently playing? If you already have petals that you want to use then you should stay away from modeling amps imo. Overall if your not looking for a death metal/emo metal sound then a Vox would do you well!
Hi, well at the moment we are playing stuff from Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake to thrash stuff like Metallica, Killswitch Engage.. Sort of mix really, I currently have a Marshall MG and it's a pile of **** lol. Thing is my best setup at the moment is using a home studio kind of setup on Pod Farm Platinum, which is using a Custom Marshall JCM800 with 412 Celestion V30's sort of sound through modeling, hence why I am looking for a modeling amp. But second hand I wouldn't mind buying some pedals and a half stack. My budget is between £350 - £400 really as I'm just starting gigging even tho I have done a bit of recording previous to this. I first looked at the Line 6 Spider 4 HD150 but realised why it was so cheap after a demo!! To get a decent setup where I can change the Valves etc I'd probably be best to look for 2nd hand I guess. As for Guitars I am currently using a Ibanez JS1000 and a SG Custom. Pedal wise I have a Zoom 606 which is pretty crap

There is quite a good video of Dave Martone testing out the Vox VT100 which is the only reason really why I added it to the list. Other amp suggestions would be great!
Last edited by ZemoUK at Dec 30, 2009,
I think you should go with a used valveking combo and change the tubes. You should also buy an overdrive like a Digitech bad monkey or an Ibanez Tubscreamer and a noise gate like an ISP Decimator or a Boss Ns-2. Depends if it fits your budget.

You can buy new valves off of here: http://www.watfordvalves.com/home.asp

I'd recommend for preamps:
V1 tung sol 12ax7
V2 JJecc83 and
V3 Sovtek 12ax7LPS and
powertubes JJ 6L6GC's matched pair

All these tubes will set u back about £50

You can probably get your local guitar shop to change them for you but its pretty simple. Heres a guide: http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/Tube+Swap+Information

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Last edited by blything09 at Dec 30, 2009,
oh I forgot, that website doesn't open until 5th january i think as its closed for the holiday, I'm planning on buying some new valves off there myself for my vk

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Hey thanks for all the messages! I was looking up on the mods for the valve king and was planning on getting a 212 and changing the tubes for now... until I found a Line 6 Flextone II HD with a 4x12 cab, are these any good? It's second hand so I'm guessing I can change the tubes in it too?
Quote by ZemoUK
Hey thanks for all the messages! I was looking up on the mods for the valve king and was planning on getting a 212 and changing the tubes for now... until I found a Line 6 Flextone II HD with a 4x12 cab, are these any good? It's second hand so I'm guessing I can change the tubes in it too?
The Flextone is a modelling amp. It has no tubes. But if you can get it, it is better then everything on your list IMO.

The speaker change would be more beneficial then the tube change IMO. The Valveking is really muddy, and that's mostly because of the speaker. I'd change the speaker first if I were you, as they are both in the same price range.

What speakers does the 4x12 cab have? I personally would not want a 4x12, and it might not be needed for your kind of gigging. You might though, but if not, try to ask for the head only.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Dec 30, 2009,
Oh, didn't realise it was just a modeling amp :P the cab is the normal one that goes with it by the looks of it, doesn't say that he's changed the speakers. It's got like a gold tweed front (looks horrible actually lol).
Just got back from GC.. Tryed the Peaveys and they sounded atrocious.

Tryed the spider valve 212.. loved it, bought it.

Yh yeah, got it for $600 also.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Last edited by DeadlyDevil1985 at Dec 30, 2009,
Quote by DeadlyDevil1985
Just got back from GC.. Tryed the Peaveys and they sounded atrocious.

Tryed the spider valve 212.. loved it, bought it.

Yh yeah, got it for $600 also.
The Peavey Vypyr series are hard to dial in if you have little no no experience at all with the amp.

TS, if you like the cabinet, and it seems like a good cabinet (good speakers, and good build quality), go for it!
Quote by i_am_metalhead

I don't have any experience with the Marshall but I've heard that the old Valvestate amps are alright.

I beg to differ, I had a band member that owned a Valvestate and it was the worst sounding amp I've ever heard. I almost kicking him out of the band over it. Others I've heard and used sounded the same - aweful, just aweful. Truly a bad amplifier.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The vox that you listed is teh one i currently use. teh cleans are outstanding for a solid state amp. and there are some great rock tones but for metal it's probably not the rigth choice, that is part of teh reason im upgrading to A mesa Boogie Mark V
"This is my Mark V. There are many like it but this one is mine."

LTD MH-400
Ibanez AS73
"BUILDING MY OWN GUITAR NOW"
Yamaha FG365S II
Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head, with rectifier cab (2x12)
Vox Valvetronix AD100VT- XL
Quote by Cathbard
I beg to differ, I had a band member that owned a Valvestate and it was the worst sounding amp I've ever heard. I almost kicking him out of the band over it. Others I've heard and used sounded the same - aweful, just aweful. Truly a bad amplifier.

You probably heard the newer valvestate. The older ones actually aren't that bad, although there's better amps available in that price range.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
You probably heard the newer valvestate. The older ones actually aren't that bad, although there's better amps available in that price range.

No, the one my bandmate had was one from the early 90s. The newer ones are WORSE?? I dread to imagine it. Can such things be?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just gonna throw in the Jet City. Should be good for what you want, there's enough gain there. If you want more agressiveness just up the presence.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
I'm just saying, that Spider Valve is pretty versatile. And it is tube... The distortion on it gets pretty high without muzzling the sound and the cleans are nice a sharp.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Just found out that the cab has Line 6 Tube Tone speakers in it (can't find much info about them). I might just go for it, guy is selling it pretty close to where I live, might have to go check it out! Then I'll hopefully have some money for either a new cab or some new effects pedals.
Last edited by ZemoUK at Dec 31, 2009,