EDIT: After figuring out that a ground loop was causing all of my problems, I decided to break the ground loop by using a european 2 pin plug into an Ireland/UK 3 pin socket on the little giant head. Its working fine, but I've read that there is a danger of damaging the head by letting dangerous signal spikes into the head and that I could even electrocute myself if a live current makes its way into the amp chassis. This must be what the Morley guy meant when he said creating a ground lift in this way can be dangerous. Are these disaster scenarios even remotely possible, or do I really have anything to worry about? Is the handsome devil now grounding both amps? Sorry for bumping again. Just really don't want to burn my folks' house down, or kill myself....

Here we go...

So I bought a blackheart handsome devil combo a while back. I love it's cleans, and I love it's natural tube driven overdrive. Can't use both at once, though so I bought the Little Giant head to run through my 412 and an electro harmonix swtchblade for switching between the giant head and devil combo. Great!

I crank the giant for some great natural drive sounds and get a great clean from the devil at about 3/4 vol and 1/3 drive on the 15w setting. The volumes even match pretty well, so in theory this is a great setup, right?

Wrong. I'm having serious trouble with crazy hissing and buzzing from whichever amp is not in use. It's even loud enough to be heard over the amp that's running. I'm using fender singlecoils, granted, but even my ISP Decimator pedal can't get rid of it.

Didn't have so much of a problem using the devil on it's own. It was there, but not this bad. Maybe it's just that I'm not playing over the buzz on one or other amp anymore.

Both amps are very quiet even cranked until I plug in a cable, but the cables themselves are new and of decent build quality - Planet Waves and DiMarzios. I'm baffled, really.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

gerardwayne
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Last edited by gerardwayne at Jan 6, 2010,
have you opened up the switcher? are there any loose grounds or anything like that? thats really odd... my home made a/b/y never did that...
My Main Gear

guitars
gibson sg special faded
Fender Stratocaster (turning it into the black strat relic!)
cort stat 2t
ventura (ibanez artcore lawsuit era copy)
'74 alvarez acoustic

amps
peavy transtube express 112
Quote by sg dude 38
have you opened up the switcher? are there any loose grounds or anything like that? thats really odd... my home made a/b/y never did that...

Haven't opened it up yet, no. It's a pretty solid looking little box tbh couldn't imagine there'd be much wrong with it. I wouldn't even know what to look anyway for unless the loose end of a wire was staring me in the face.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Sounds like it's the switcher pedal.
If you bought it new maybe take it back to the store and ask them?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Someone else on here had exactly the same problem with EHX switchblade. I'd take it back & build your own.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I bought it from thomann. I might send it back for my 30 day money back guarantee. Or look for a replacement. Could it just be a faulty unit? Maybe another one would work perfectly?
Gear:

It definitely sounds like it's the pedal that's making all the noise. I would send it back, and try and get another one. If that one has the same issues, then get your money back and try out a different one.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Quote by Shiromar
It definitely sounds like it's the pedal that's making all the noise. I would send it back, and try and get another one. If that one has the same issues, then get your money back and try out a different one.

Seems like the logical choice alright. I just hate returning gear. Seems like such a waste. Well, it's better than keeping something you can't or never will use, I suppose.
Gear:

i just started doing the exact same thing with my amps, but im using a radial aby switcher. it has 3 switches to help reduce hiss and noise. i get absolutely no extra noise using mine
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
i just started doing the exact same thing with my amps, but im using a radial aby switcher. it has 3 switches to help reduce hiss and noise. i get absolutely no extra noise using mine

Yeah I've been googling and it seems that my problem is most definitely a grounding one. It's like when you get that noise just as your jack is plugging into your guitar with your amp turned on. Except it's there ALL THE TIME. The built in transformer with the tonebone bigshot aby seems to eliminate this and keeps the unused amp quiet while the other operates as normal. I can get one delivered from the US for about €77 or so on eBay. Reckon I'll return the switchblade and order the bigshot. Thanks for the info InanezGuitars44.

EDIT: When you say "the exact same thing," you're harldy using the very same amps as me, are you? I'd be a bit disappointed that someone else had the exact same idea as me, but hey, great minds think alike etc!
Gear:

Last edited by gerardwayne at Dec 29, 2009,
Right I've been doing some research and came across this. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but what do you think?

From Harmony Central:@
My name is Bill Wenzloff. I work in the engineering Department at Morley. I read many of the reviews on this page and noticed a common misconception that I thought needed to be cleared up.
Our ABY box cannot CREATE a ground problem between two amplifiers. It can certainly make the difference in grounding between two amps apparant. This is an easily solved problem. When two amps are not ground in the same method you need to do one of two things.

1) Lift the ground on one ogf the two amps using the Ground Lift switch on eith amplifier.
2) Lift the ground on one amp by using a plug adapter that converts a three prong plug to a two prong. You can pick there up at any hardware store pretty cheap.
---------------------------------------------------------------

He later goes on to say:
Hello, Bill Wenzloff from Morley again. I had posted some comments below about using a 2 to 3 prong adapter (ground lift) when you get ground loop hum. THIS SHOULD ONLY BE DONE TO TEST WHETHER OR NOT GROUND LOOP HUM IS ACTUALLY YOUR PROBLEM. If then noise goes away when you (temporarily) use a ground lift plug, then you have a ground loop that needs to be solved. Continuing to use this ground lift plug CAN BE DANGEROUS.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

What does he mean by "DANGEROUS?"

Also, seeing as how neither of the amps has a ground lift switch, this two pin plug thing should work for me with the EHX aby pedal, right?
Gear:

Tried the above solution as suggested by the Morley Guy. It worked perfectly. Thanks, Morley Guy!

Let's just hope nothing blows up...
Gear:

Last edited by gerardwayne at Dec 31, 2009,
After figuring out that a ground loop was causing all of my problems, I decided to break the ground loop by using a european 2 pin plug into an Ireland/UK 3 pin socket on the little giant head. Its working fine, but I've read that there is a danger of damaging the head by letting dangerous signal spikes into the head and that I could even electrocute myself if a live current makes its way into the amp chassis. This must be what the Morley guy meant when he said creating a ground lift in this way can be dangerous. Are these disaster scenarios even remotely possible, or do I really have anything to worry about? Is the handsome devil now grounding both amps? Sorry for bumping again. Just really don't want to burn my folks' house down, or kill myself....
Gear: