Page 1 of 3
Here's the main site and a vid of an documentary that's being showed at film festivals across the country.
http://www.racebending.com/v3/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AikjV6x0g4w&feature=player_embedded

Alright guys here's the deal.

Blackface and minstrel shows ended in the 50's. White people would try to to pretend to be or take on acting roles as black people.

However there is still the matter of YELLOWFACE. It seems as if the North American film industry believes that a movie cannot be successful if it is not Americanized.

The perfect example and almost the stepping stone of what is hopefully going to presently stop yellowface prominently is the new live action movie of Avatar: The Last Airbender. If I were to summarize all the bullsh!t this film is going to try and pull I would go on an infinite rant so I'll just give some examples. All the protagonists in the film are Caucasian. There are a small group of people in the film who were actually cast as asians (in reality there were/are no caucasians in the actual series the movie is based off of). Coincidentally this group is given a minuscule role and very few, NONE of them I think even have character names, just "Person #4" and stuff to that nature. There is even a scene of the caucasian protaginist walking along a path to a temple and the entire asian group are basically throwing flowers to his feet and groveling to him. Not to mention the they just so happened to cast the villains in this movie as dark skinned people. So what we have here in the story are the villains, people of color, enslaving empires of white people and the white protaginists must eliminate the dark skinned people.

I'm bad at this so I'll aware all of you with some more vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUsssUaVGmw&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEvfe-pS8wo&feature=player_embedded

There are/have been a great many other things that are obvious Yellowface, some examples being:
The Dragonball live action movie (besides the fact that it actually sucked they had the pretty, skinny, white boy play Goku)
The planned Akira live action remake (Leonardo DiCaprio is producing and wants to play Kaneda, a Japanese character in an ALL japanese setting. He wants to change the setting from the original Neo-Tokyo to Neo-Manhattan)

Even back in the day Yellowface was prominent:
Kung Fu, the television series (a series originally planned to star Bruce Lee, scrapped that idea and had David Carradine star)
Foomanchu (obvious reasons lulz)

All I'm asking is this:

I know most if any of you will not take it upon yourselves to actually boycott the film (although it would be great if you could shoot the racebending site an email and maybe they could give you more info on actually physically helping out).

So what I'm pleading for the pit to do is raise awareness anyway you can and to not support this slander movie. Raising awareness is the best thing you guys can do for the cause right now. Every voice counts.

Thanks in advance fellow pit monkeys!

Also in advance, this is no offense to any caucasian people, this is just the fact of the matter and is not meant negatively toward caucasians but meant towards the film industry.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Last edited by TheBodomBullet at Dec 29, 2009,
isnt yellowface the guy from sin city?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

You could apply this to any country really. Do you see Chinese made films with American stars? How about Italian or German films? Film making is an industry, they do it for the money. To make money the film makers are going to satisfy the majority of movie goers, not the minority. Really watch other films (foreign films) and see if this concept plays out the same. The majority audience will be praised while the minority will be silenced.

Also the remake you're talking about with Leonardo DiCaprio, it's his interpretation of the story. He's going to make it for Americans and Manhattan is a more American Relatable place than Tokyo.

If these films were made by Japanese then all the Japanese characters would remain because it's aimed at the Japanese.

We could go all day with this concept of "racism" in movies.
Last edited by Phat Stud 55 at Dec 29, 2009,
Some people are too darn sensitive.

Here's something interesting: why is it than in japanese cartoons, characters are drawn with big, brightly coloured eyes and hair? I don't mean to be racist, but for asian people the predominant eye colour is dark brown.
Did they ruin YOUR precious movie Mr. Obsessive? Mawww. Get the hell over it.

Edit:
Quote by sashki

Here's something interesting: why is it than in japanese cartoons, characters are drawn with big, brightly coloured eyes and hair? I don't mean to be racist, but for asian people the predominant eye colour is dark brown.

I don't remember anybody matching THOSE characteristics ever being cast in an adaptation of manga shows. Racist!
Last edited by piop at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by Phat Stud 55
You could apply this to any country really. Do you see Chinese made films with American stars? How about Italian or German films? Film making is an industry, they do it for the money. To make money the film makers are going to satisfy the majority of movie goers, not the minority. Really watch other films (foreign films) and see if this concept plays out the same. The majority audience will be praised while the minority will be silenced.

America is the melting pot of ethnicity. There are literally LEGIONS of hispanics, blacks, asians, native americans, ect.

In other countries this isn't true, hence they don't nearly have access like we do especially with countries like North Korea who's border patrol will pump you full of holes if you step an inch over their border.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by sashki

That is a sterotype. Although not common, there are Asians with blue,green ect. eyes and hair as well? lol.

Also even though most asians have the slanted eyes, when as you stated, anime characters have bigger, more open eyes, that could apply to almost every other race or ethnicity on the planet because not just whites have big open eyes lol.

Also this movie is based off of something that was COMPLETELY done in the oriental spirit, there was 0% western influence other than the dubbing, credits ect.

The film industry is scared to include culture in films because "it will not sell well". When we all used to go see kung fu movies, did we care if the sign in the backround had kanji on it? NO we just wanted to see somebody get their butt kicked.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
you know OP, people like you are the worst when it comes to prolonging and intensifying the effects and perceptions of racism. im pretty sure if you go to asia, most of their movies cast asian actors.

youre pissed off because actors want to play another race? THEYRE CALLED ACTORS AND THEY ARE ACTING THATS WHAT THEYRE SUPPOSED TO DO.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by TheBodomBullet
America is the melting pot of ethnicity. There are literally LEGIONS of hispanics, blacks, asians, native americans, ect.

In other countries this isn't true, hence they don't nearly have access like we do especially with countries like North Korea who's border patrol will pump you full of holes if you step an inch over their border.

But who's the majority here? Blacks, Asians, Native Americans, Whites? You can't satisfy every person on the planet. It's just impossible, no matter what is made there's always controversy which is what you're doing right now.
Honestly, I don't think it's a big deal.
I mean, Disney brought us Mulan so it's not the end of the world, right?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by TheBodomBullet
That is a sterotype. Although not common, there are Asians with blue,green ect. eyes and hair as well? lol.

I've never actually met an asian with green eyes, but that's just my limited experience, I'll take your word for it.

Also even though most asians have the slanted eyes, when as you stated, anime characters have bigger, more open eyes, that could apply to almost every other race or ethnicity on the planet because not just whites have big open eyes lol.

They have slanted eyes. They draw cartoon people with big eyes. There's nothing wrong with either, but it seems counterintuitive.

Also this movie is based off of something that was COMPLETELY done in the oriental spirit, there was 0% western influence other than the dubbing, credits ect.

In oriental spirit, but it's not made in the east. Avatar is an american cartoon.

The film industry is scared to include culture in films because "it will not sell well". When we all used to go see kung fu movies, did we care if the sign in the backround had kanji on it? NO we just wanted to see somebody get their butt kicked.

This is a good point. However, Kung Fu (although exagerrated in movies) is a real thing. Avatar is not. It's set in a fictional universe. Maybe it's a universe with white people and asian culture?

You could take the argument a step further:
WHY AREN'T KATARA AND SOKKA PLAYED BY INNUITS?!
Last edited by sashki at Dec 29, 2009,
You may as well start arguing about characters being played by actors who aren't the same class as them. "OMG! Keira Knightley playing a regency gentlewoman!? THIS WON't DO!"

Somebody please close this thread. TS has no life and wishes to fight issues where there are none.
Last edited by piop at Dec 29, 2009,
What the fu...
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I think you're exaggerating. I think the Avatar film actor choice is nowhere near as offensive as this:

^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
This is retarded and taking racebaiting to a whole new level

Edit: TS also apparently failed the genetics section of biology.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by sashki
I've never actually met an asian with green eyes, but that's just my limited experience, I'll take your word for it.

They have slanted eyes. They draw cartoon people with big eyes. There's nothing wrong with either, but it seems counterintuitive.

In oriental spirit, but it's not made in the east. Avatar is an american cartoon.

This is a good point. However, Kung Fu (although exagerrated in movies) is a real thing. Avatar is not. It's set in a fictional universe. Maybe it's a universe with white people and asian culture?

You could take the argument a step further:
WHY AREN'T KATARA AND SOKKA PLAYED BY INNUITS?!

There is actually a Korean person with legit blue eyes and there must be at least ONE asian on this green earth that doesn't have brown eyes.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with either considering countries like Japan, China, India, most of Asia consists practically ALL Asian people. Maybe there's like a handful of non-asians that reside in those countries. They make anime that is mostly set in their own society or at least you won't find an anime that's about a bunch of asian kids who have white kids throw flowers to and kiss the asian kids' feet (which may I add is an actual scene in the movie).

Because it is a known fact that the Airbender series was scripted to be set in a Tibetan universe. The customs, even the cloths all represent that region more or less. FACT, in the draft of the series that was shown to producers and others, the first page in BIG BOLD LETTERS say something along the lines of the series will be in an asian society, and it was even stated that the series was originally planned to be subtitled and not in English although that idea was scrapped at the last minute.

Also you very well could make that arguement. But it wouldn't be as extreme. This is like casting the slaves in Roots and whites and casting the slavemasters as blacks and making them out to be bloodthirsty tyrants.

Quote by piop
You may as well start arguing about characters being played by actors who aren't the same class as them. "OMG! Keira Knightley playing a regency gentlewoman!? THIS WON't DO!"

Somebody please close this thread. TS has no life and wishes to fight issues where there are none.

I have a cause and I'm trying to raise awareness, not force my ideas on anyone. If you don't agree that's fine. Don't support it, and keep walking.

YOU apparently just wish to spew nonsense like "OH OP HAS NO LIFE" and fail to contribute anything useful to this discussion other than your frail and quite frankly, idiotic back-sash that is comparable to a 6th grader's retorts.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
I didn't understand most of what you just wrote.

Also, according to Wikipedia, the style of drawing seen in many japanese cartoons today was influenced by americans during and after the WWII, especially by disney, so my original argument was wrong.

So there's a scene in the movie where white kids kiss asian kids' feet?
RRRAAAAAAAAAAGE

Seriously, this movie will most likely suck and will be forgotten quickly. What will you complain about then?
Last edited by sashki at Dec 29, 2009,
One of my neices is blonde haired, blue-eyed.

Her hair is starting to darken out though.

My hair has a brownish/red tint to it.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
TS, I think you're overreacting, I mean these are american producers and directors producing an american film for an american audience. plus haven't you noticed that a lot of people in animes look white anyway? just going to throw that one out there...

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by sashki
I didn't understand most of what you just wrote.

Also, according to Wikipedia, the style of drawing seen in many japanese cartoons today was influenced by americans during and after the WWII, especially by disney, so my original argument was wrong.

So there's a scene in the movie where white kids kiss asian kids' feet?
RRRAAAAAAAAAAGE

Seriously, this movie will most likely suck and will be forgotten quickly. What will you complain about then?

Then I'll be proud to say that people actually know crap when they smell it. Although the big issue would be what kind of message is sent to the children (the Nickleodeon TV series WAS aimed at children btw) after they see the movie, especially the younger ones.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
21 is *very loosely* based on a team from MIT that counted cards to win at blackjack. The team in reality was made up of nearly all Asians. There were only two notable ones in the movie adaptation. One was a kleptomaniac, and the other was 'a loser who plays slots.'

I'm Asian myself.
But I strangely don't find myself caring that much.

Does it reflect a sad state of entertainment in America? Somewhat. Is it racist? To some degree. Does racial stereotyping create negative attitudes that children pick up as fact? Yeah, it does. Are there bigger problems in the world? Yeah.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Then I'll be proud to say that people actually know crap when they smell it. Although the big issue would be what kind of message is sent to the children (the Nickleodeon TV series WAS aimed at children btw) after they see the movie, especially the younger ones.

If your children are so fragile that seeing a white actor in an Asian themed movie is going to traumatize them, you have other things to worry about with that kid.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Momentosis
One of my neices is blonde haired, blue-eyed.

Her hair is starting to darken out though.

My hair has a brownish/red tint to it.

Is her father asian?
**** da po-lice
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by TheBodomBullet

When I was "younger" I didn't give a **** about ethnicity.

I used to love Kenan and Kel. Up until typing this post, the thought of "Hey, I'm watching a show about two black guys" never crossed my mind.

Thanks.
Quote by StewieSwan
If your children are so fragile that seeing a white actor in an Asian themed movie is going to traumatize them, you have other things to worry about with that kid.

You're saying a young child already knows the differences between right and wrong no matter how young the age? Not for nothing and I'll try to say this respectfully but you're post is FULL of holes not that I'm here to try and point them out.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
As a person who likes to watch movies a lot and tends to analyse a fair bit more than a normal person should - It doesn't matter.
Quote by sashki
When I was "younger" I didn't give a **** about ethnicity.

I used to love Kenan and Kel. Up until typing this post, the thought of "Hey, I'm watching a show about two black guys" never crossed my mind.

Thanks.

I loved that show as well.

But AGAIN someone making a post that is very irrelevant to this matter. Kenan and Kel were just two kids living their lives right?

It's not like Kenan and Kel were evil slavemasters who tortured and belittled their white "friends" and all caucasians they knew, declaring themselves "Ruler of All that is White".
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet

Because it is a known fact that the Airbender series was scripted to be set in a Tibetan universe. The customs, even the cloths all represent that region more or less. FACT, in the draft of the series that was shown to producers and others, the first page in BIG BOLD LETTERS say something along the lines of the series will be in an asian society, and it was even stated that the series was originally planned to be subtitled and not in English although that idea was scrapped at the last minute.

perhaps youre not familiar with marketing principals. if you can in fact prove that the changes were racially motivated and made with intent to racially discriminate, then you have a case. otherwise youre just arguing with a company trying to make the most money out of the film that they can. do you realize how many people wouldnt go see the film just because they have to read subtitles? your arguments are about money and business strategy and have little or nothing to do with actual racism.

Also you very well could make that arguement. But it wouldn't be as extreme. This is like casting the slaves in Roots and whites and casting the slavemasters as blacks and making them out to be bloodthirsty tyrants.

no, in fact it is absolutely nothing like that. youre comparing historical events with fantasy fiction. stop trolling.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Dec 29, 2009,
No one complained when Machhio played someone w/talent

this is ridiculous

actors act, it's what they're paid for.

i dont see how any of this is insensitive?

i mean better than portraying all asians as bucked toothed hicks who can't pronounce r's and l's
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by TheBodomBullet

But AGAIN someone making a post that is very irrelevant to this matter. Kenan and Kel were just two kids living their lives right?

It's not like Kenan and Kel were evil slavemasters who tortured and belittled their white "friends" and all caucasians they knew, declaring themselves "Ruler of All that is White".

Yeah, they didn't have elemental superpowers either. They were relevant to the real world.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
perhaps youre not familiar with marketing principals. if you can in fact prove that the changes were racially motivated and made with intent to racially discriminate, then you have a case. otherwise youre just arguing with a company trying to make the most money out of the film that they can. do you realize how many people wouldnt go see the film just because they have to read subtitles? your arguments are about money and business strategy and have little or nothing to do with actual racism.

no, in fact it is absolutely nothing like that. youre comparing historical events with fantasy fiction. stop trolling.

I'm comparing a fact to a fact.

Roots was based on the period that Africans were slaves to the whites. They didn't have any historical names mentioned. They gave names to self made characters.

Avatar the Last Airbender was FACTUALLY based on Asian/Tibetan culture and even said so on the front page of the draft (which you can probably find online if you look). The customs, the scenery, pretty much EVERYTHING is pulled directly from foreign influence and it sticks out like a sore thumb.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet

They were portrayed in a caricature-ish, stereotypical kind of way. Not that I give a shit really. People should be able to write whatever they want into forms of entertainment, and shouldn't be subject to censorship in case someone finds something 'offensive'.
This whole argument is pointless. You might as well go get mad at Dreamworks for getting Jack Black to voice a panda in an asian-themed movie.
Quote by Wulphy
Being a Republican should be a handicap.
Quote by TheBodomBullet
FACT, in the draft of the series that was shown to producers and others, the first page in BIG BOLD LETTERS say something along the lines of the series will be in an asian society, and it was even stated that the series was originally planned to be subtitled and not in English although that idea was scrapped at the last minute.

You know how I know you're lying? Screen drafts don't use bold letters.
Quote by Silver-spear94
isnt yellowface the guy from sin city?

No, I think that's Yellow Boy. But I'm not 100% sure.

Anyways, OP needs to chill out. I'm Asian and I don't care at all.
Page 1 of 3