So i was thinking what would a radio station be like with the opposite of easy listening, because a lot of my favourite music ive had to spend time getting to like it.

What music has taken you time to get into? For me Death Metal, Fusion, Prog, Some Jazz, Some Classical. Jazz bebop probably being the most difficult.
If it takes a while for me to get into, it obviously isn't my taste. I'll listen to the music I prefer, thank you.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
BTBAM and Animal Collective took me quite a few listens to really enjoy.
Time keeps on slipping...

Quote by skaterskagg1
AtomicPunk7 is uncreative.
I don't make efforts to like music. I either like it straight away or I don't. I will, however, mention that I listen to music as a separate activity, rather than as "background" music while doing something else.

If I focus on the music, I'm distracted from work. If I focus on my work, the music is unnecessary sound in my ear. I would consider that to be "difficult listening".
H.I.M.

Uneasy Listening Vol. I/II/III

(p.s. i love HIM, just stating their unusual compilation album names)

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

John Frusciante's first solo album. I like it but my first time listening to it I had to stop in the middle of almost every song to say WTF at the vocals.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by itchy guitar
If it takes a while for me to get into, it obviously isn't my taste. I'll listen to the music I prefer, thank you.

just because it isn't IMMEDIATELY likeable doesn't mean it isn't good. Captain Beefheart anyone? seriously. that's typically my biggest knock against pop product (i refuse to call it music), it's got a hook 35 seconds in and the song's done in 3. time to dispose of it and move on.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
Quote by intheshadowplay

just because it isn't IMMEDIATELY likeable doesn't mean it isn't good. Captain Beefheart anyone? seriously. that's typically my biggest knock against pop product (i refuse to call it music), it's got a hook 35 seconds in and the song's done in 3. time to dispose of it and move on.

So if you don't like something, you keep listening to it until you do?

Well, to me music is a leisure activity, and I listen to what I like. I enjoy having that freedom, y'know?
Um wats difficult for me to get into is VH1 type music cuz I'm into thrash metal. but after hearing a song a thousand times with friends or at dances I might actually turn to like a song or two that they play out of the thousands. Like for instance I actually like Fireflies cuz its so hard to listen to without getting a smile on your face.
Quote by sashki
So if you don't like something, you keep listening to it until you do?

Well, to me music is a leisure activity, and I listen to what I like. I enjoy having that freedom, y'know?

no, if i don't like something at first, i don't say "**** it" and move on. i give it another chance, and another, and another. you never known when you're missing a gem.
I agree with who said Animal collective. I love 'em now though.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Mr. Bungle...
█████████████████████████
Quote by intheshadowplay
no, if i don't like something at first, i don't say "**** it" and move on. i give it another chance, and another, and another. you never known when you're missing a gem.

I've been doing that with Radiohead for years. It still hasn't worked. I'm not trying to dislike it, either, but it just doesn't appeal to me no matter how many times I've tried.

"Aw, maybe it's not so bad......no, wait, it is."
Quote by sashki
I've been doing that with Radiohead for years. It still hasn't worked. I'm not trying to dislike it, either, but it just doesn't appeal to me no matter how many times I've tried.

+1
Most of the jangly chord + regional accent rubbish that's already on the radio.
Quote by sashki

oh well see. that i can understand. at a certain point, you can finally say "this band is not enjoyable to me". where that point is differs from person to person. but i was refering to people who throw it in the garbage if they don't hear something catchy in the first minute of listening. you know the type.
Quote by intheshadowplay
oh well see. that i can understand. at a certain point, you can finally say "this band is not enjoyable to me". where that point is differs from person to person. but i was refering to people who throw it in the garbage if they don't hear something catchy in the first minute of listening. you know the type.

Yeah, that's me.

All the music that I like is stuff that I enjoyed from the very first time I heard it. I may have trouble finding new music, but I do already have a collection of 300 CD's despite my pickiness, which isn't too bad a collection.
IMO If I hear a band/album/song for the first time and I kind of enjoy it, I would continue listening untill I fully "get it" because I know I will eventually (ex. Residents, later King Crimson, Radiohead) but if I flat out can't enjoy it or something about it is just horrible, Im not going to pursue it much (that's fairly rare.)
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by intheshadowplay

I have a good idea of what I like and don't like. And I mean that in the least elitist way possible. For example, I'm not going to keep listening to Mathcore bands because I know they are technically amazing, I'm going to move on to something that I enjoy listening to. Sure I'll give the band a chance, but I can tell if I'm going to like them or not fairly quickly. Like Sashki said, music is a leisure acivity.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.