So as some of you may already know, I got a VOX AC4TV for Chrsitmas. While I REALLY like it, I wish I could get some creamier overdrive out of it.

So, I was watching a demo of the Epiphone Valve Junior Combo and the guy said that some people are switching out the 12AX7 tube for a 12AT7 tube in the preamp to get smoother tones. Since the Valve Junior and the AC4 have the same tube compliment, then I figured I could do the same. But...can I?

I know the 12AT7 is more commonly used in reverb drivers (correct me if I'm wrong), but would it work in the preamp? Also, would I get a smoother/creamier overdrive like I was told?

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
You could try it. The 12at7 is a lower gain tube then the 12ax7. You could run a 12au7 too. What kind of creamy tone are you looking for? Have you futzed around combining the watt and volume and tone knobs?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I just want a lower gain overdrive. Like...softer and smoother. Less harsh. Know what I mean?

And what do you mean "combining the knobs"?

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
If you have it on like the .4 setting and crank the volume and tone controls + your guitar knobs to 10 you'll get a really distorted sound that could be considered harsh. If you have say the watt on 4 and the volume cranked halfway with the tone halfway and fiddle around with your guitar knobs. You'll get a much smoother distortion curve because the amp will have a little bit more headroom.
There's a mod I saw somewhere that basically replaced the wattage selector with a master volume and labeled the current volume pot gain. If you think of it that way the amp is a lot more versatile.

Really simply, the amp sounds quite different .4 watts and cranked then at 4 watts and cranked. Plus pushing it through an extension cabinet will soften up the sound quite a bit too.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer