I just got my new Amp in today (Spider IV 120 watt) and after about 10 seconds of playing it starts making popping noises and progressively gets worse till it basically stops making any noise at all (guitar or what have you) Im wondering if it got damaged through deliverary or if its just my guitar. since i have it sitting here on (testing it) with the cable in and it hasn't made any popping yet. Is it most likely my guitar? its an electric Malibu (one of those beginner guitars)
Does your guitar work with your old amp?
Gear
Guitars
Epiphone SG G-400
IBANEZ S470DXQM

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Marshall MS-2 Micro Stack

Pedals
Zakk Wylde ZW 45 Cry Baby Wah
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Then the amp is most likely damaged
Gear
Guitars
Epiphone SG G-400
IBANEZ S470DXQM

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Marshall MS-2 Micro Stack

Pedals
Zakk Wylde ZW 45 Cry Baby Wah
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
yer, popping noise is odd in a transistor amp, it's not like it would have spring reverb or anything. The spiders have like a billion different sounds don't they, does it stay there when you're on a different patch/sound?

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
yea it stays on the different settings, I dont have another cord since my extra broke a couple weeks ago. id have to buy/borrow one to see.
Its the amp.
Send it back for a new one.
Or a different one for your sake...
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
Quote by enselmis
Use the popping noise as an excuse to send it back and get something good.

any good amps that are also 400$ or lower?
a few cheap decent amps are the Vox VT series, the Peavey toneking and the Bugera 333 (risky)

They're all about $1000 here in australia, but i'm gunna guess your in america or somewhere else that's not a total rip off so maybe those will fit in your price range.

Todoles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
1000$ is no where near 400 O.o

and whats so bad about the spider? for 400$ its the best deal out there
Last edited by Alkarin at Dec 30, 2009,
were you planning on gigging with it? why the 120 watts?
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
Quote by Alkarin
1000$ is no where near 400 O.o

and whats so bad about the spider? for 400$ its the best deal out there

Spiders get a lot of hate around here, and not without reason.

What kind of music do you play?
You can always do better than a Spider.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by 2112swartz
were you planning on gigging with it? why the 120 watts?

Metal/ Death Metal/ Metalcore

everyone i know in real life (most people who have played for atleast over 10 years or so) all think spiders are great. not sure why you guys hate on them? and why is it? theres a reason for everything :P
Quote by Alkarin

everyone i know in real life (most people who have played for atleast over 10 years or so) all think spiders are great. not sure why you guys hate on them? and why is it? theres a reason for everything :P

I've had a spider II for 3 years and I don't think I've ever gotten a clear tone out of it.

Maybe you should invest in a Jet City JCA20 and a pedal or two.
I would definately check and make sure its not just a cable issue first. After that's cleared up then you'll know what to do. I mean its either the cable or the amp if the guitar works with another amp. I'm guessing that cable works without pops in the other amp though? That was a large purchase just for a spider being the 120 watter and all. If you want a modeler than maybe look at a tube vypyr or a used vetta. I haven't got to try the tube vypyr yet but that's what will help me decide here shortly when I finally make it back to Fort Worth on an amp run. They have some used Flextones and stuff at Guitar Center there. Good Luck!
Quote by Alkarin

ah, the classic spider for metal dealy. was it recommended to you by a store employee? 120 watts seems a bit ridiculous for someone not gigging. the reason the spider is ragged on around here is because once you develop an ear for tone you will realize how digital and crappy sounding it is.

but to stay on topic, its definitely the amp, send it back and grab yourself a vox VT
id be using it for gigging and yea the guy at the store said its a good one for metal. Ive been a musician for about 8 years now playing classical instruments and I did notice some of the well crappyness of some of the spiders settings, but most of the metal settings were quite nice.
Only thing a spider really does is metal. Besides their poor tone their big downside is their reliability. They tend to have ALOT of electric problems, most after a year or 2 get so bad they stop functioning and become door stops. Yours is screwed up out of the box apparently.

The other issue is to get any use out of the tons of features is you need to buy the FBV pedal. The good FBV is 249$.

The people who work at music stores will always recommend spiders not because they are the best amp but because they have the highest profit margin. Its funny yugo's were really crappy cars and after a while people stopped buying them, but spiders just keep going.

If your gonna play metal and gig there are gonna be better amps out there. 400$ will if you catch em on sale buy a new peavey windsor, all tube no electric gremlins. Some will recommend bugera but they have their own set of cheap amp problems.

But not gonna find anybody on here saying 120w spiders are a good investment, unless you need a really big doorstop.
The spider amps lack the punch you want form an amp. But maybe metal heads don't notice it cause of thier stupidly scooped mids. Too all you metallers out there with tube amps try putting ur mids up and crank the volume and tell me you can hear the punch i'm talking about. And this is comming from a fellow metalhead to the others.

Now the spider is limited to it's punchyness cause of the transistors mainly, but after tone the next thing i didn't like about them was they had WAYYYYYY too much shit put in there, what is it like 1000 artist models? My vox has 8 channels and i've only saved 4 of them.

But that's my bitching over, so all in all, send her back, punch the guys from the store in the face and get a nice deal on a good one low wattage valve amp (if you can) or even go to a half valve amp (Vox VT and Peavey vyper).

And if it's the cable.... buy a new cable and make the best of what you got.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Recommended threads
Catch-Up TV
SuperSquirrel
Last post:
by *Juno*
Frigid
Fate_of_Mind