its another which amp thread.

anyhow, im looking for an amp to use with my tonelab. im looking for one with an fx loop, and a master volume. i need to be able to keep the volume down as much as possible. anyhow, i had a thread about this awhile back, and the best amp recommended in that thread was the HT5. im all but sold on the ht5, but something made me check out the V22.

i want a clean sound like SRVs Lenny, or Jimis Little Wing, and enough gain to pull off 80's hair metal.

thanks!
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
A lot of people on here use the HT-5, especially for metal.

My local shop just got a Bugera V22, and the guy there described them as Fendery cleans and that its more of a vintage sounding amp.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
with the tonelab, i feel like i can get the cleans i want while bypassing the amps preamp.

ive heard from a few that the fx loop on the v22 is a little weak.
My Rig

Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
Ive never used a V22 but I got a HT-5 for Christmas and its awesome. It has pretty good cleans and it definently has a lot of available gain.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
I have never cared for the HT-5 any of the times that I've played it...got one in a trade...and it lasted me 2 weeks before I was bored and sold it.

The V22's are great amps...but I've never been able to pull the trigger on a Bugera given their reliability issues. They have a great clean channel...and take pedals VERY well.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 30, 2009,
Plus one, honestly I'd take hte bugera + and overdrive for a boost into 80's hair metal.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
yup I just took back my ht-5. I played the bugera v22 today and it sounded great. As bad as there reputation HAS been there has been 0 problems with their vintage series.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
I think their reliability issues have been since solved. If you order a new amp that was made this year, you're fine. If its an older one, not so fine.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
You might want to check out a Peavey Windsor studio if you are worried about volume. It is self biasing and you can switch out with a variety of tubes. It has a built in power attenuator and if you are using the tonelab then you will have what gain and stuff you need. It has real spring reverb and an effects loop. I think it is rated at 20 watts full output. I watched a youtube video on it and it uses one of the same 12" speaker that they stock in one of there classic blues type combos. It is also affordable at about $400.
Quote by matt s
yup I just took back my ht-5. I played the bugera v22 today and it sounded great. As bad as there reputation HAS been there has been 0 problems with their vintage series.

That's because they were released after Bugera fixed their reliability issues.

TS, as much as I like all of the Bugera's and hate HT-5's, I'd say that the HT-5 would be a better fit for you. It does have enough gain for 80's hair metal but not much more than that. The clean channel is what really shines on the HT-5 IMO. They are HIGHLY over rated amps. I used to own one.

Look into the Jet City JCA20 as well. Great sounding, versatile amp, and a better choice IMO.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JayT44
That's because they were released after Bugera fixed their reliability issues.

TS, as much as I like all of the Bugera's and hate HT-5's, I'd say that the HT-5 would be a better fit for you. It does have enough gain for 80's hair metal but not much more than that. The clean channel is what really shines on the HT-5 IMO. They are HIGHLY over rated amps. I used to own one.

Look into the Jet City JCA20 as well. Great sounding, versatile amp, and a better choice IMO.

I'm going to play this Blackstar amp soon but the newer tube architecture they use scares me. They seem to be popular on this forum though. I've seen the Tone King preview those Jet City amps and they also seem a good value for the money kind of like Bugera.

TS, If you got the HT-5 then are you just plugging this tonelab in the front guitar input on the amp or is there another way you are planning to bypass straight to the power amp section on it?
Last edited by Supermansdead81 at Dec 30, 2009,
I'd avoid the Bugera and keep the focus between the HT-5 and JCA20H. I'm not hating on Bugera for their old reliability issues, because I don't believe those issues exist anymore, I simply don't like the way most of their amps sound. The HT-5 is a little generic sounding, but I think that's what Blackstar were going for. The JCA20H is very sweet sounding (especially after replacing the junk stock tubes) and my only two issues are that it's single channel and doesn't an FX-loop. For $100 less than the Blackstar though, it's a very tempting amp - it does sound better.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by Supermansdead81
I'm going to play this Blackstar amp soon but the newer tube architecture they use scares me. They seem to be popular on this forum though. I've seen the Tone King preview those Jet City amps and they also seem a good value for the money kind of like Bugera.

TS, If you got the HT-5 then are you just plugging this tonelab in the front guitar input on the amp or is there another way you are planning to bypass straight to the power amp section on it?

i was planning on using the "4 cable method" as long as the amp has an fx loop. that way, ill split the signal coming out of the tonelab, one way to the power amp in/return, and the other into the PA.

since the jet city amp doesnt have a loop, ill pass on it. soldano does excite me though!

edit:

does the windor studio have enough gain to get even close to hair metal?
My Rig

Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
Last edited by chagmaier at Dec 30, 2009,
Why are you putting the Tone Lab through then asking about it's gain? Surely the Tone Lab will provide the gain.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by chagmaier

edit:

does the windor studio have enough gain to get even close to hair metal?

yeah it should. the head is very much like a JCM...even though the combo is voiced different, it still has enough gain IMO.
just today i went to try out a HT-5, and it was very nice for hair metal but not for anything that need more gain.
Quote by wozzsta
just today i went to try out a HT-5, and it was very nice for hair metal but not for anything that need more gain.
Yeah, I had to coax my HT-5 into further territory.
For my use, an OD pedal, a BBE Sonic Stomp, and an ISP Decimator are a MUST with this amp. When you plug straight into these amps, you can tell they have a good base/foundation of tone for building on. Which is fine with me, as that is what I expected from the start.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Yeah, I had to coax my HT-5 into further territory.
For my use, an OD pedal, a BBE Sonic Stomp, and an ISP Decimator are a MUST with this amp. When you plug straight into these amps, you can tell they have a good base/foundation of tone for building on. Which is fine with me, as that is what I expected from the start.

That's a lot of extra cash you have to plunk down to make it sound good...
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by JayT44

TS, as much as I like all of the Bugera's and hate HT-5's, I'd say that the HT-5 would be a better fit for you. It does have enough gain for 80's hair metal but not much more than that. The clean channel is what really shines on the HT-5 IMO. They are HIGHLY over rated amps.

No doubt, they are highly overated on the forums here and like mentioned above the Jet City would be the good inbewtween for practice/gigging.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Quote by Kanthras
That's a lot of extra cash you have to plunk down to make it sound good...
Not really. I paid $220 for the head and already owned all the pedals.

I have no problem adding pedals to a budget amp.
It's my bigger, more expensive amp(s) that I use no pedals with.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by wozzsta
There aren't really going to be any 5 watt amps that are going have much more gain on tap.

Though if all you could coax out of the HT-5 was 'hair metal' then you need some practice turning knobs.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
ok, maybe i wasnt clear on all my intentions... for that im sorry.

at some point i would like to leave the tonelab out of the loop. but for now, some of the higher gain patches on the TL sound digital. thats where the amp comes in. for now, with the new amp, i can disable the amp modelling on the TL, and use just the effects.

back to the windsor studio. all i saw was the combo, how does the tone differ from the head? im guessing the head isnt a studio version?

between the ht-5 and the v22, who would be the better of the two to start building an analog pedal board for? im guessing this depends on the clean channel? i have a sonic
stomp, and a crybaby so far.
My Rig

Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
^The Windsor head is 100 watts and the Combo is 20 watts with power soak.

The Bugera has a better clean IME, than the Blackstar.

Personally, I wouldn't get either. I'd rather a Crate of some sort or an older Peavey or Fender combo.