Anyone ever think of this? I grew up in the 90's and Bone thugs, Master P, 2Pac all that shit was huge. A lot of my buddies listened to that stuff and still pop it in from time to time. Anyone ever try to transpose hip hop tunes onto guitar? Now obviously it would have to be something other than a beat made completely on a drum machine. I was thinking of how hard it would be to play "bout it bout it" by Master P. The synthesizer shit they got going on or whatever it is...learning how to play that and use slides and shit...what do you guys think?

how can I figure out how to play these tunes and what notes they may be using because I doubt they even know they probably just pressed the button and it sounded good. Surely they couldn't tell you "oh its in this key and its a I ii V I progression, so how should i go about doing this?
First of all, Watch your mouth. Or your fingers, rather.

Second, Yeah people do it all the time and normally isn't even very hard
Quote by PattyCakes
Anyone ever try to transpose hip hop tunes onto guitar?

Public Enemy. Check it. Lots of guitars.

Also, for a new release, check K'Naan "If Rap Gets Jealous" featuring Kirk Hammet and Vernon Reid on guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlBFLuW-_ek

Quote by PattyCakes

Now obviously it would have to be something other than a beat made completely on a drum machine.

You would be surprised at how much synthetic programming goes on in rock too.

Quote by PattyCakes

how can I figure out how to play these tunes and what notes they may be using

... by ear?

Quote by PattyCakes

because I doubt they even know they probably just pressed the button and it sounded good. Surely they couldn't tell you "oh its in this key and its a I ii V I progression, so how should i go about doing this?

Don't be so narrow-minded. Rock musicians are every bit as musically illiterate as hip-hop musicians. Similarly, just as there are some rock musicians who really know their stuff, there are some hip-hop ones who do too. Very few people are good at something by accident, and computers can only do so much. Want proof? Get a demo of some software and see how "easy" it is to come up with something original yourself.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Rock Box - Run DMC - Copkiller - Ice T and Bodycount. Tom Morello - lots of hip hoppish sounds.

People shouldn't be ignorant, about musical illiteracy... there are few "mistakes". When it comes to money and production, people aren't just making stuff up - you have producers, many times they are more musically savvy than the artists. You have arrangers, and then you have business people, those who can smell a hit. You wanna know why that song you thought sucked, ever reached your ears?

Because some visionary saw that it could be put out there and enough people listened and agreed. That's not lack of talent, that's pure visionary genius. Someone that deliberately put a product together for market and sold it to all of us. In that stage of the game it would be absolutely stupid to let music pass without hitting the ears of someone that knew what they were doing.

When there's money on the line, and its a music business, bet your bottom dollar there's very little that's accidental or random, that gets released to where you can hear it without some deliberation..
I mean, have you not heard of Street Sweeper Social Club or Rage Against the Machine? Or as mentioned Public Enemy? Even some Wu-Tang? Hell. Even Eminem. Death Row/Aftermath uses a lot of basically "rock band" equipment. Much of Dr. Dre/Snoop Dog/ other Death Row and Aftermath Label artists use guitar, bass, drum set and piano as well as drum machine synth and computer programs.

Axemanchris' post is one to really listen to.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
The Beastie Boys are a rock rap group that hardly ever did a song without guitar as well. I watched a video on Tom Morello and he said his a lot of his insiration was from Dr. Dre and So Cali gangster rap. I would just listen to the beat and play along with the bass lines instead of trying to mimick them, make your own rock/rap collaberation.
Well what I am talking about is taking songs that weren't played with guitars at first and making them playable on guitar

not some weak ass run dmc/ aerosmith stuff

and watch my mouth?? what was so bad that i said?
Ride with me by Nelly and H to the Izzo by Jay-Z are two rap songs I play on guitar. Really easy, they just use chords.

Also there's a nice acoustic version of thugz mansion that's fun to play
Quote by PattyCakes
Well what I am talking about is taking songs that weren't played with guitars at first and making them playable on guitar

not some weak ass run dmc/ aerosmith stuff

and watch my mouth?? what was so bad that i said?

So basically you want to play a 3-4 note major scale riff...but *Rock this Way* is a "weak ass" instrumental? Any guitarist that can't figure out how to play
*Bout it Bout it* by Master P -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1lHycoi9l4
is way out of place calling AEROSMITH Weak.

>!facepalm!<

. o O ( where do they get these people)
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Dec 30, 2009,
its just played out not that its weak or anything, i just think the songs are lame...master p bout it bout it gets me crunk and it would just be cooler to play on guitar

harder and more technical doesn't always mean better...so i just think run dmc sucks, there
Just... Play it?
Notes are notes. It's not going to sound the same, because your guitar has a different timbre, but, if you want to play it, just play the notes.
Not a huge fan of bees
Rap songs are generally very easy to transpose to guitar. The verse generally stays on one chord and the chorus doen't deviate too much. But to answer your question, lots of people transpose rap songs to guitar. Youtube much?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Not a Dr Dre fan, but a few of his songs have nice progressions - Forgot About Dre is:

Gm Gm/Bb Eb Dsus4

and it's got a catchy little lead part too, although playing it would get a bit repetative for a lead guitarist, it's a nice progression to improv over.

If you could play the piano part to Eminem's The Way I Am, too, that'd be impressive.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/