I have asked this question in other threads and haven't received any answers. I was hijacking those thread to a degree so I'm not really surprised so I will ask in a thread of it's own and hopefull elicit a response.
I am due to replace the 12AX7s in my JCM900 and am tossing up what to put in there. I recently replaced the EL34s in it with Shuguangs and was mighty impressed with the sound. I chose the Shuguangs purely on price so i was pleasantly surprised when they sounded so good. So I thinks to myself, perhaps I should try their 12AX7s too.
I have always been partial to TungSols and in my other amp I like the Mullards as well (it presently has ElectroHarmonics actually which have served me well) but that amp is more of a vintage sound but with more gain and has British NOS 6L6 tubes. When the EH's wear out in that I think it's going to get Mullards but that is a VERY different amp to my JCM.
So the question is - has anybody tried the Shuguang 12AX7s in a JCM and what did you think of them compared to others you have used? They are a fair bit cheaper than the TungSols which are what I'd probably like to use but when it came to the EL34s price didn't equate to quality; they were cheap AND good. Is it the same situation with their 12AX7s?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
They're pretty reliable, fairly low noise and pretty high gain. I thought the tone was okay but I prefer others.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
dunno about shuguang preamp tubes, that is a very specific question. but british amps i usually use a gold tipped jj ecc803 in the V1 and a regular ecc803 in the V2 with a ecc83 in the V3/PI slot. the gold tips actually tighten up the tone in the V1 slot imo, while the ecc803's give you a more wooden style midsy marshall tone. if you desire higher gain then i would go with ecc83's across the board with a gold tip in V1.

edit: if the shuguangs are so cheap why not buy 1 or 2 of them and find out if you like them, or bring the amp to a store and ask to try them in the amp, i have done that before. sat there for an hour and a half plugging different preamp tubes into a blues deville 4x10. patient owner.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 29, 2009,
Well I actually live in the Aussie bush and there are no tube shops anywhere near me. I pretty much have to buy them over the internet and plug them in. However buying some to test is probably the best option, i can get them for about AU$10 each plus postage and the TungSols are about AU$26. I guess I can always use them as spares or test valves in a project (I am planning on building a small amp loosely based on a Fender Champ for fun)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Shuguangs are my preamps and it's also nice that they're the cheapest
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com