Page 1 of 2
Why? Why do you want that guitar/pedal/amplifier/mic etc..?

I'm a college student, and well music is my life (cliche I know) but god damn do I love making music. Granted I'm not in a band, yet, but I dont want to be here. I don't like my city anymore and I want to move, but regardless whether I get in one here or the next city I move to ( college and other reasons) does it matter? I like the gear I want ( and yes, I am going to buy it myself) and although I just play "in my four walls" as my parents say does it matter? My parents know its a hobby, and my parents know I LOVE my instruments, but it just kind of pisses me off. Its almost insulting. Seeing as this is a website for musicians I think its a fair question to ask the UG'ers. I know most of us would like to live the "rock star" dream and just make a living playing sold out arenas playing our music, but I think a lot of us are content just making our music, but is there a point where the gear you have is just " a waste of money" as my parents are politely trying to say?

In short: Is there a point where one is just wasting their money on musical instruments and everything involved, or is there a justified reason to have a certain amount of musical instruements etc.
Yes. My dad asked me why I wasn't fine with my MG. Why I wanted a new amp

Theres a justified reason. You need certain pieces of gear for recording, practicing, gigging, getting certain sound, etc. Plus, as a guitarist, you can never have to much gear
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Last edited by guitarlord28 at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by sticksause
"What's wrong with the guitar you have now?"

God yes. "Well, the new one would have EMGS and a Floyd, and 24 frets, so it'd be cool to-" "NO YOU DON'T!!!"
The playground of the world
Quote by sticksause
"What's wrong with the guitar you have now?"

My parents always pull that on me... i told them i wanted to swap out the HB in my strat the other day and they freaked lol.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
My does my Grandpa buy new scuba gear?
Why does my uncle buy new cameras?
Why do I buy guitar gear?

It's called a hobby and if it makes you happy there is nothing wrong with it.
Nobody in my family has musical talent except or me. I play guitar, clarinet, saxaphone, flute, drum set and xylaphone.

My dad is like, whats wrong with the guitar you have now? Then i attempt explaining it to him and he spaces out. ah, music is practically its own language
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
I don't think I've ever been asked why i want new guitar stuff. I think my parent's get it even though they don't play themselves...

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
My parents don't give a shit. All they see is numbers, they're perfectly fine with me getting a POS Squier or something, but when I'm looking at Ibanez Prestige's or Jackson Dominion's, they freak and say I don't need another one.

It's my own hard earned money so who gives a shit ehh?

But let's face it, hobbys are only understandable to those who have them. My father loves working on cars. I freaking hate it/don't get it. My mom loves photography, which doesn't stand out to me. I like guitar, they don't.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
"Why do you need another guitar? They're all the same!"

The nice guy inside me says 'they don't know better', but the musician is screaming 'raaaaaaaaaaaageee'.
Quote by PSM
It sounds good, it plays great, it's cheap as hell, why not? I don't care if it's made out of cardboard as long as it does what I need it to.
Okay good. I see I'm not the only one insulted. I have good gear. I am not doubting that, but I just want a different sound now. My current amp in my eyes is not as versatile as the amp I would like to have, even though its a fourth of the power, and my current guitar doesnt sound as good as the one I would like to get ( my strat and a deluxe strat are two different things). My dad used to be a musician. In fact he used to record and tour for a little. I thought he would understand, but instead he tells me " a good guitar player can make anything sound good". Yeah, I agree, but different instruments produce different sounds.

My parents tell me I should be saving money for the things I need such as clothe and oil changes etc not "wasting money on guitars"
Last edited by MrGuitarGuy01 at Dec 29, 2009,
Mom: Why do you need a new amp?
Me: Because I can't do any gigs with this one. It's 2 watts.
Mom: So? You're not in a band anyway.
Me: And that's why. I need to have loud enough gear to actually play with a band... And I just need something that sounds better.

etc. etc.

And she acts like she's paying for it. -.-
Why do you need a better amp? It's plenty loud. (to an SP 10)
and, what's wrong with the guitar you got? (to a starcaster by fender)
Quote by SlayingDragons
Mom: Why do you need a new amp?
Me: Because I can't do any gigs with this one. It's 2 watts.
Mom: So? You're not in a band anyway.
Me: And that's why. I need to have loud enough gear to actually play with a band... And I just need something that sounds better.

etc. etc.

And she acts like she's paying for it. -.-

You know, recently your avatar, your name, and mainly your posts have put you up to my top 10 UGers.
The playground of the world
Quote by Eddie4President
You know, recently your avatar, your name, and mainly your posts have put you up to my top 10 UGers.

Quote by UntilISleep
Why do you need a better amp? It's plenty loud. (to an SP 10)
and, what's wrong with the guitar you got? (to a starcaster by fender)

I had that same starter pack... The guitar isn't horrible, but that amp is. It literally just stopped working one day, it turns out that the volume pot broke. Just out of nowhere. The guitar still works perfectly to this day, though.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Dec 29, 2009,
My parents are very understanding, oddly.

It's my non-musician friends who don't get it at all.

One of my hockey playing friends asked me why I'd be "stupid enough to spend almost $3000 on an amp, it's not like it sounds any different than your old one!"(it sounds insanely different)

my response was to ask him why he has $1000 worth of hockey sticks... and he understood.
everyone has a hobby, if they ask you why you spend money on gear, ask them why they spend money on their hobbies.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
My parents are very understanding, oddly.

It's my non-musician friends who don't get it at all.

One of my hockey playing friends asked me why I'd be "stupid enough to spend almost $3000 on an amp, it's not like it sounds any different than your old one!"(it sounds insanely different)

my response was to ask him why he has $1000 worth of hockey sticks... and he understood.
everyone has a hobby, if they ask you why you spend money on gear, ask them why they spend money on their hobbies.

Well...I guess that's where it begins. Maybe its my ethnicity or the household I live in. Both my parents had SHIT, just absolute SHIT childhoods. To the point where one can say they did not have a childhood. My mother is a war refugee who was raised in an extremely poor household with 6 other siblings. She literally slept on dirt until she came here. My dad on the other hand, was abandoned by his father, had a poor mother, and came to America at 13 with No one. So he began working at 13. All they do is work. Wake up, work, do the household duties, and , rinse, sleep and repeat. They really don't have hobbies....or hobbies they think are important enough to spend money on.
My parents ask, and they probably don't understand most of why when I try to explain it to them but they trust my judgment.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by SlayingDragons

I had that same starter pack... The guitar isn't horrible, but that amp is. It literally just stopped working one day, it turns out that the volume pot broke. Just out of nowhere. The guitar still works perfectly to this day, though.

Yeah the guitar isn't that bad, just had to adjust a few things here and there, but the amp just
My parents do this every time I buy a new piece of gear. BUT, I tell them a decent reason (different features, pup configurations, etc.) and remind them that they are not paying for it, and I am, and they generally calm down enough so that I buy it and they just kind of shake their heads like "That could have gone towards textbooks next semester...."
Quote by thetoastinator
My parents do this every time I buy a new piece of gear. BUT, I tell them a decent reason (different features, pup configurations, etc.) and remind them that they are not paying for it, and I am, and they generally calm down enough so that I buy it and they just kind of shake their heads like "That could have gone towards textbooks next semester...."

Hard to argue against an education, but other things like clothe and related objects. In my mind, **** it. Ill take a new p/u or a new pedal over jeans any day.
has your dad ever ran in your room at 10 IN THE MORNING blaming you for the garage door being left open after he went to work, then saying your grounded and taking your phone? all this while im sleeping lol
Shouldn't the title be "Have your parents/friends ever ASKED you"?
I think its time to pack your things lets go,
To a place where we both know,
And dont worry, I'll drive real slow,
Spend some time before we go..
My parents are both quite supportive. My mum trusts that I know what I'm talking about, and my dad tries to convince me to by new gear all the time because he's a musician himself.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Quote by Wells-Zeppelin
Shouldn't the title be "Have your parents/friends ever ASKED you"?

Probably, but this break has made me go downhill. Havn't been writing lol. Oh when school picks up I should have fun.
Me attempting to buy a new guitar with my own money:

"Hey mom and dad I'm thinking of a buying a new guitar?"
"What's wrong with the one you have?"
"Nothing I just want something different"
*goes in to technicalities of how it's different*

After I get the new guitar:

"So what are you going to sell the old one?"
"No why would I do that?"
"Well what are you going to do with two guitars?"
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
I practically had to buy my own crap behind my mother's back. And yes, it is crap, it's an MG. It's sad when not playing though an amp sounds better.

But my parents don't have any hobbies, all they do is complain about how they have to work all the time, then they go give all their money to the church.

PISSES ME OFF
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
Quote by RocknRollRay
I practically had to buy my own crap behind my mother's back. And yes, it is crap, it's an MG. It's sad when not playing though an amp sounds better.

But my parents don't have any hobbies, all they do is complain about how they have to work all the time, then they go give all their money to the church.

PISSES ME OFF

+1
Except for the church part, the church is replaced by Macy's.
I only think to myself "mother...oh sweet loving mother....WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING AT THE MALL!"
My mom says that I can do whatever I want to do with my money, as long as I don't waste it. Musical stuff is not wasting, and I never use money anyway
...What!?
At the moment I have an Ibanez TBX stack. It makes a buzzing noise and room volume, and at gigging volume its unbearable.

I've saved for a Peavey 5150. All my own money. It's been my dream amp for 2 years. I was about to buy one, and all I get is "Its a waste of money. Theres nothing wrong with the one you have".

Because of this, I'm stuck with the Ibanez, as my Mom gave me serious doubts.

Shall I use my money and buy the amp that I saved up for and wanted for 2 years?
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400
At the moment I have an Ibanez TBX stack. It makes a buzzing noise and room volume, and at gigging volume its unbearable.

I've saved for a Peavey 5150. All my own money. It's been my dream amp for 2 years. I was about to buy one, and all I get is "Its a waste of money. Theres nothing wrong with the one you have".

Because of this, I'm stuck with the Ibanez, as my Mom gave me serious doubts.

Shall I use my money and buy the amp that I saved up for and wanted for 2 years?

**** yeah you should. Two years of saving with the intent to gig and perhaps establish yourself as a respectable musician amongst society. Oh **** yes you should, and if things don't work out you can always sell it and be content that you owned your dream amp. Go do it boy. Look for it on ebay, you can get some used ones.
My sister asked me why I needed new picks once... I don't think she knows what an amplifier or effects processor is.
Matter is void. All is vanity. All is nothing. Nothing exists.

But damn does whisky rule
Quote by MrGuitarGuy01
**** yeah you should. Two years of saving with the intent to gig and perhaps establish yourself as a respectable musician amongst society. Oh **** yes you should, and if things don't work out you can always sell it and be content that you owned your dream amp. Go do it boy. Look for it on ebay, you can get some used ones.

I've been savin for the last 2 months, but I've wanted it for the last 2 years.

I'm in a band (www.myspace.com/thecoldfrontnz), and our set is finished. We're looking for gigs. I'm dreading using my Ibanez to play live with. At band practice they've ended up turning my amp off between songs. Thats how bad it is

I'm currently watching a 5150 on TradeMe. I'm so tempted. It's second hand, but mint condition. I'm buying second hand so that it doesn't lose value.
RIP Tom Searle.
Last edited by MH400 at Dec 30, 2009,
Quote by bluekirby7
Nobody in my family has musical talent except or me. I play guitar, clarinet, saxaphone, flute, drum set and xylaphone.

My dad is like, whats wrong with the guitar you have now? Then i attempt explaining it to him and he spaces out. ah, music is practically its own language

I've always wanted to play drum set
Last edited by Frost_Power at Dec 30, 2009,
Quote by Instant Mash
My parents are both quite supportive. My mum trusts that I know what I'm talking about, and my dad tries to convince me to by new gear all the time because he's a musician himself.

Pretty much this for me, except my parents aren't musicians. My mom played piano and still does, but we don't own any piano/keyboard to play anymore. She wants one though, and I want to learn.

When it comes to guitars, my parents were very against me getting new things (I haven't gotten much, and I just upgrade guitars because I'm not in a band or anything yet), but after almost 3 years, they see I'm quite dedicated to it and if we had more money they'd be willing to help buy small things to help me out.

So it's kinda just, iffy with my parents. Don't get me started on my grandparents, they don't even know why I have "The same looking guitar with a different paint job".

I sell my old stuff I don't need anymore so I can buy things I do need. So my old strat will be funding an upgraded amp.
Quote by MH400

I'm in a band (www.myspace.com/thecoldfrontnz ), and our set is finished. We're looking for gigs. I'm dreading using my Ibanez to play live with. At band practice they've ended up turning my amp off between songs. Thats how bad it is

I'm currently watching a 5150 on TradeMe. I'm so tempted. It's second hand, but mint condition. I'm buying second hand so that it doesn't lose value.

Your link didnt work. I dont know what TradeMe is, and always think ahead. I bought a Twin thinking it was a good buy and that it would hold its value. Its apparently worth 600 dollars now...even though its brand new, and I paid 1600 for it.
Quote by MrGuitarGuy01

this.
DO IT

and besides, it's not like you're not gonna like it. the 5150 is probably THE most recommended amp on this site, and for damn good reason.
Fixed the link. TradeMe = New Zealands version of Ebay.

Shinysides, I'm currently asking lots of questions about it. I'll keep you updated to whether I buy it.

I've been playing for 4 years, so I'm not going to give it up any time soon.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400

I'm in a band (www.myspace.com/thecoldfrontnz ), and our set is finished. We're looking for gigs. I'm dreading using my Ibanez to play live with. At band practice they've ended up turning my amp off between songs. Thats how bad it is

considering most 5150's on the market have probably traded hands at least a few times and picked up quite a bit of mileage over the years, one in near mint condition is a pretty good find
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Page 1 of 2