I'm a bit tight on money and I'm in the market for a new guitar to replace my cheap one. so far my first choice is a 25th anniversary Seagull or one of their SWS maritime models (not the S6 because I don't like the sound the cedar produces) which is running at exactly my budget which is 600, can't go any further.

however if I can't afford them for whatever reason the Yamaha FG750S for 400 dollars seems good. does anybody have this model or have any insights in its sound and built quality? I'll be going to several guitar shops tomorrow to try it out and see if I like it. if you feel that I can get a better one for 400-500 please do tell.
Last edited by MrPapi at Dec 29, 2009,
Very good guitar. Very good build quality. Sound, I'm not completely sure, but it's probably above average. I've played quite a few 700's and 720's.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
seems to be pretty much like the fg730s but with sycamore. i really like the fg730s, which like all yamahas is good quality, well finished and sounds good, but haven't tried the fg750s yet.

it's not so much a question of getting a better one as everyone has different tastes, but you may prefer the sound of the fg730s or fg720s. also i doubt you'll run into one, but keep your eyes peeled for a blueridge br-40.
Quote by MrPapi
so far my first choice is a 25th anniversary Seagull

I own one of these. The spruce and mahogany version. (I understand Seagull also released a 25th Anniversary guitar in spruce and laminated maple w/electronics, but I've never so much as played a single note on that version.)

Wonderful guitar.

In terms of acoustics, it's very similar to the Martin D-16GT. And that's high praise, as the Martin D-16GT is a heck of a guitar. They're both solid spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides. The 'gull is all glossy and has the distinctive Seagull headstock, whereas the Martin looks a little plainer and has a more conventional headstock. But looks aside, they sound very much alike. At least, in my experience. Then again, I'm only familiar with a single example of each, so maybe I've just got an unusually Martin-sounding Seagull, or happened upon a freakishly Seagull-sounding Martin.

The Seagull is arguably "tarted up." High gloss, the "25th Anniversary Limited Edition" on the headstock, gold tuning machines w/cream buttons, etc. Some people might find it to be overdone. Others might really like the deluxe touches. Me, I like the glossy finish, but am neutral on the rest of it. Just a personal aesthetic preference.

The Seagull's build quality is quite good. At least, I've nothing bad to report on it. Seagull has responded to my emails (two of them, just minor questions) promptly and not just in a "form letter that doesn't really address the questions raised" sort of way, either.

or one of their SWS maritime models

Seagull's SWS models were heavily influenced by the 25th Anniversary model. If you like the sound and feel of one, you'll probably like the other.

however if I can't afford them for whatever reason the Yamaha FG750S for 400 dollars seems good

I have no experience with the FG750S. I have fooled around a little with an FG730S, and have nothing bad to say about it. I sort of prefer the Seagull's 1.8" width, but mostly because that's what I'm used to. Anyway, it's not like adapting to a small fraction of an inch less width is all that big a deal.

The 730 (don't know about the 750) has a solid top, but not solid back and sides. Realistically, it's the top that matters the most, by far. So while I'd prefer all solid wood, so long as the top is solid it's not a huge minus.

I think the Seagull is ridiculously underpriced for what it represents. This is not to knock the Yamaha in any way. But the Anniversary Seagull is just an exceptional guitar, selling for much less than it should.
--
Michael
very good post 123Michael321, I went to check out the Yamaha today and it was awesome, it's my second choice. but I still want that sweet 25th Seagull, I pretty much love everything about it like you said. and I think I can get it for just about 595 dollars with a hard case, which is just amazing!
You said you don't like the seagull s6 original because of the ceder. Well, they have one of the Coastline series of guitars that is in spruce if I remember right and around $450 last time I checked.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
your best bet on these kind of posts is to go to Musicians Friend and Guitar Center and see what people say who own them. If it's 4.5 or above you probably have a good chance of getting a good guitar. MF reviews give this guitar a 5 out of 5 and there are 16 reviews so you would most likely be happy with it.

I use this method with all my on line purchases and it hasn't failed me yet.
Quote by obeythepenguin
...but remember that some pretty meh guitars get an average of 4.5 or 5 stars on their reviews, too. Read the link -- patticake explains it much better than I do.

Ironic, I just was talking about this on another thread. Lemme go get it for you...

Personally, I'd like to say that the reviews on Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, Music123 and such tend to always have good reviews no matter how bad the guitar is. For example, I'm sure we all agree the low end (as if there was any other for them) Rogue guitars are rather....bad. But wow, they get 4.5/5 stars on Musician's friend!
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-RA100D-Dreadnought-Guitar?sku=511192

Its much better to get opinions from people on the forum, this one or others, along with MAYBE Harmony Central if you need something like submitted user reviews.

See, what you get is the problem of people trying to justify their purchase. They WANT to hear that its good so they don't feel like its a waste. The other side is that these are people who haven't played guitar much if at all and think everything sounds great. With one of my ex-girlfriends, I was trying to show the difference in tone and she couldn't tell the difference between a Seagull S6 (ceder) and another low end guitar (laminate, probably spruce or something). People who don't have experience don't always notice the nuances of tone.

So really, just be careful of reviews at those sites. They can be VERY misleading.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by obeythepenguin
...but remember that some pretty meh guitars get an average of 4.5 or 5 stars on their reviews, too. Read the link -- patticake explains it much better than I do.

I can attest to this from personal experience. which is why I will try out any guitar in the store before I come to a decision. anyway, I went to the store and tried the Yamaha FG750 and it was an amazing guitar, it is definitely on the top of my list now.