Me and a guitarist in another band were having a debate on suitable cabs, with im saying he hasnt had a better sound from his marshal mgblahblah100 and his orange cab. Ive just ordered a peavey valveking but was wondering what cabs would suit it.

Not to sound lame or anything but at the moment, I'll be using my (from my Line 6 Spider II Halfstack) cab lol (Dont harm me for buying a Spider halfstack, but hey its a great 120w practice-stack).

Would it be important to get a new cab? Mine seems to be fine.

The answer lies with who has more efficient speakers. From what is told here it would be possible said guitar player with mg series marshall could get better clarity from his orange cab.
We im a rhythm guitarist playing in a metalcore band and in a few days ill be playing through a peavey valveking head and simply a boss ns2. Im looking at a hughes & ketner SC-412 A as it delivers "Huge low end, assertive punch and ace compression of the caliber only original Celestion speakers are able to deliver" also..it has caster wheels

but yeah at the end of the day, i should wait till i play around till i get a sound I like before I jump the gun...as i always do lol
I wouldn't bother with the VK
Needs too many mods to sound good, at which point you may as well have bought a decent amp.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
I wouldn't bother with the VK
Needs too many mods to sound good, at which point you may as well have bought a decent amp.

+1

With what the VK goes for new...you could probably find a good used rig.
Krank is a little pricey yes. However it would be wise to shop around. What if this HK cab isnt all that? Maybe mesa boogie fits your need better?
I've got a VK with no mods done to it, and I got mine for $350 USD.

An Output Transformer swap is probably $50 plus labor, a speaker swap is probably $70 and new tubes are probably $50. I got a TS9DX for $50 as well.

That's $570.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by eyebanez333
+1

With what the VK goes for new...you could probably find a good used rig.

Not exactly...im a gigging musician, yeah a small 50 watt combo might do it then but not for venues lol
Quote by Zach Dunn
Not exactly...im a gigging musician, yeah a small 50 watt combo might do it then but not for venues lol

Yes exactly. A 50 watt combo would handle venues with ease.

Also, the VK is not a metal amp, even though everyone tries to make it one. Its designed for blues rockish type music. You'll have to invest in a new OT, new speakers, and new tubes (and possibly grab a boost) if you want it to sound anywhere near decent, and I personally think that they still sound pretty bad even after you do all that to them.
Quote by Zach Dunn

I'm willing to bet that it would.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I have a marshall 1960a cab with my stock vk and it sounds pretty good. I Play metal-core aswell and I just use an overdrive to boost the amp and a noise gate. I need to change my valves though and get an eq, then it will sound better

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Well we played a sellout 400 capacity venue the other week and the other guitarist used the valveking with a noise supressor and thats it and it sounded fine...also many of these bristol metal bands have valvekings and prefer them over anything else. Also If i got a 50 watt, how would that compare playing against a 100watt (as thats what the other guitarist has)
Quote by Zach Dunn

I gig with 15 watts...sometimes with 7.5

Most venues will mic you up through a house PA....those that don't...use your own PA to mic what you need.

EDIT: and our other guitar player has a Fender Twin...I have no problem getting over it when I'm mic'd up.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 30, 2009,