Would it be better to upgrade my speakers in my 4x12 or buy a 2x12 w. two 100 watt speakers? Right now i need to have my amp on about 6 to play shows in a hardcore band ,but i dont want to lug a 412 around anymore.

Bascially im wondering if a 200 watt 412 and a 200 watt 212 will be the same volume?
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
They will only put out as much as your amp will. 200 watts means it is capable of taking 200 watts without damaging the speakers.
The 4x12 will seem louder than the 2x12 at the same volumes, because it is projecting the sound from 2 additional speakers.
In theory, they will be the same volume. The extra speakers just push more air out. Side by side it will seem like a 412 is louder but they're actually not.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
For portability definitely go with a 2x12. And why do you need 2/100 watt speakers? Is your amp 200 watts?
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
You'll have an all around tighter sound with a 2x12 but less bass response. If you can deal with that then a 2x12 is great for portability's sake. The 4x12 moves more air so it's "louder" but you can still keep up in most situations with a 2x12. I previously gigged with two 2x12's wedged on either side of my bass player's cab in the trio I played with. It gave our sound a really nice mix. With bigger bands I gig with a 4x12. It's all preference really.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Last edited by OsirisProtocol at Dec 29, 2009,
Well i found some Celestion rocket 50s on craigslist for $100 bucks so i think im just going to replace my crappy stock speakers w. those and call it a day. If Somebody thinks this is dumb let me know, i might pick them up tomorrow.
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
from what you have said id go with a 2x12. seems like itd be more suitable for you. wont lose volume so youll be straight.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Yikes why do you need 200W power handling? Have you got a Thunderverb or something?

Either way, a 2x12 will put out just as much volume as a 4x12, assuming the speaker sensitivity is the same.
a 212 would be fine if you're looking to downsize. the only thing you might notice would be a less full or less bottom end to your sound with fewer speakers. But its not a big deal in most cases. As mentioned...the overall volume in terms of dB will be the same.