Page 1 of 2
I recently had to sell off the majority of my gear for financial reasons and I'm slowly making a new rig. I thought it would be fun to pick up a 7 string guitar this time around after listening to guys like john petrucci use them for very melodic and interesting playing. My budget is under 500$. I play metal, rock and blues mostly. I also prefer passive pups but in this price range it's rare to find anything with actives anyways. The two guitars I've been trying to decide over are the ibanez RG7321 and the schecter Omen 7 extreme but I am wondering if there are any other 7 string choices I'm over looking? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: To add more info I bought the godin in my sig less than a week ago so I might trade that in for a 7 string. Hence this thread.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Dec 30, 2009,
Quote by enselmis
Not that I know of, but out of those 2 the Ibanez kills the schecter. Plays better, sounds better, looks better.

What attracted me to the schecter was the mahogany body but if the ibanez plays alot better basswood is fine.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Well, Id say if you can up your budget a little and save a bit more, try and get the Schecter Hellraiser C-7. It's amazing. I just played one today at GC actually.
If you can go used you should look out for an Ibanez RG7421 (hardtail) / 7621 (hardtail) / 7620 (trem). They go for around $500, although the prices have hiked up lately.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by GuitarDTO
Well, Id say if you can up your budget a little and save a bit more, try and get the Schecter Hellraiser C-7. It's amazing. I just played one today at GC actually.

I second this, I played c-7 at GC yesterday and quite enjoyed it. I would save up to buy it, but I would never use a 7 string. It has excellent tone though
Hey dude, if you can, get a used Schecter Hellraiser 7-string. Those normally go for about $500-600

EDIT: the above people seem to agree try & shoot for used, that's what I have to do these days....
Last edited by EvilAngel93 at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by aznrockerdude
If you can go used you should look out for an Ibanez RG7421 (hardtail) / 7621 (hardtail) / 7620 (trem). They go for around $500, although the prices have hiked up lately.

How do the 7621's go spec wise? I've seen a few around but there isnt much info on them. I'm guessing basswood body with ibanez pickups and a wizard one neck?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
How do the 7621's go spec wise? I've seen a few around but there isnt much info on them. I'm guessing basswood body with ibanez pickups and a wizard one neck?

The 762x series actually have Dimarzios, if I'm not mistaken.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Slanderous666
Specs for 7 string (fixed): http://www.jemsite.com/articles-menu/7-string-specs-rg-fixed-bridge/

Other Ibanez specs: http://www.jemsite.com/articles-menu/ibanez-and-other-guitars-info/

Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
If you want a decent seven-string with passives, check out a Schecter Damien-7. The EMG HZ's are semi-versatile, and since you play metal to blues, maybe you'd like it. It suited what I play (metal), and I still want to get one o.O
It's a nice guitar, for the price.

And for the people who suggested Agile, definitely check those out. Great for their price and they look amazing, although sadly I can't try one out where I live and I wouldn't get one without extensive testing first =\
Schecters are good!
I strongly recommend saving for a hellraiser c7 or blackjack atx c7.
Omen 7 extremes are pretty good from what i've heard. Don't they have push pull as well?
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Go with Ibanez you wont be disappointed
Prestige Ibanez Rg1527rb
Epiphone Les Paul w dimarzio evo.
ltd H -50
Digitech DF-7
dod EQ
Randall WarHead
Crate td50c
Quote by Quaned
Schecters are good!
I strongly recommend saving for a hellraiser c7 or blackjack atx c7.
Omen 7 extremes are pretty good from what i've heard. Don't they have push pull as well?

The omen 7 extreme has a coil tap as well yes. The atx C7 is really sharp looking I agree.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by krustshred
Go with Ibanez you wont be disappointed

I have always preferred ibanez necks to schecter necks as my hands are not the largest. I was concerned about having a basswood body but its suppose to be american basswood so I'm now under the impression non-prestige ibanez 7 strings are of good tone wood.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
after glancing at the specs of the rg7321, the washburn wg587 i own is damn near the same thing. unless the AXIS seven pups are real dimarzios.

if you wanted to go real cheap, id recommend the washburn. its a really good guitar for the price you can get em used. stocks pups arent the worst no name stock pups ive played either. the neck is maple but its really thin. however if you're picky about scale length, its 25.5" as well as are the ibanezezez i think. most/all schecter 7s are 26.5" but if you get the omen 7 or whatever the really cheap one is called, its going to have a rosewood tree for a neck.

there are better finish options with the 7321 than the wg587 especially if you go with the flamed maple.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88
after glancing at the specs of the rg7321, the washburn wg587 i own is damn near the same thing. unless the AXIS seven pups are real dimarzios.

if you wanted to go real cheap, id recommend the washburn. its a really good guitar for the price you can get em used. stocks pups arent the worst no name stock pups ive played either. the neck is maple but its really thin. however if you're picky about scale length, its 25.5" as well as are the ibanezezez i think. most/all schecter 7s are 26.5" but if you get the omen 7 or whatever the really cheap one is called, its going to have a rosewood tree for a neck.

there are better finish options with the 7321 than the wg587 especially if you go with the flamed maple.

At this point I'm thinking of calling my music shop up tomorrow morning and seeing if I can exchange my godin for the ibanez 7321 as its the only one I've played and is most available in my area. If it has american basswood a good set of dimarzios will have that guitar sounding pretty sweet.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
If you can get an Ibanez 76XX, go for that. It's going to be a lot better than a 7321.
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
Quote by Xherion
If you can get an Ibanez 76XX, go for that. It's going to be a lot better than a 7321.

The one I had seen on ebay is gone unfortunately. Also I'm not sure I can get a ful; refund from my music store. I'm guessing only an exchange.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
The only give me a 10 day exchange so it looks like the 7321 is the winner. They only comparable 7 string they have is the LTD sc-207.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
The LTD has active sized passives which = fail.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
The LTD has active sized passives which = fail.

I tried it they are horrible and the middle-bridge combo doesnt help.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
But the SC-207 doesn't have actives or a 27" baritone scale neck.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by Ippon
+ they're bolt-on = FAIL!

Bolt on with a contoured heel = win in my opinion.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
The damien 7 with passives emg's is also an option. Very similar guitars though.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
The damien 7 with passives emg's is also an option. Very similar guitars though.

If you're gonna go Schecter, I'd pick the Omen Extreme instead. At least you're not stuck with EMG sized pickup slots.
The C-7 hardtail with active Duncan Designs is in your price range, but has active sized pickups slots also.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by Mources
THIS THIS THIS!!!

...srsly.

575USD was cheapest and I had to get it from the same store I bought the guitar from. Which I didnt make clear and was my bad for not making clear.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by richymisiak
get a Schecter Hellraiser C-7

Local music store wanted 1000$ for a new one Canada's schecter distributor is horrible.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by aznrockerdude
If you're gonna go Schecter, I'd pick the Omen Extreme instead. At least you're not stuck with EMG sized pickup slots.
The C-7 hardtail with active Duncan Designs is in your price range, but has active sized pickups slots also.

My music store said it was a two month wait for that guitar so I just got an Ibanez RG7321. It plays so well... Really impressed so far and loving that low B. Thanks to all who helped me out. I appreciate it.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
575USD was cheapest and I had to get it from the same store I bought the guitar from. Which I didnt make clear and was my bad for not making clear.

Nah don't worry, it's my fault for not reading the thread properly

Anyway, glad to hear you got your first 7 string hope it treats you good
STRIKING MINORS
Page 1 of 2