The I chord is the ideal place to resolve, the 3rd and 5th not so much. If you're talking about notes then the 3rd and 5th are ok to resolve to since they're chord tones of the I chord but the 1st is really the best note to end on.
Quote by pwrmax
The I chord is the ideal place to resolve, the 3rd and 5th not so much. If you're talking about notes then the 3rd and 5th are ok to resolve to since they're chord tones of the I chord but the 1st is really the best note to end on.
Yes, generally roman numerals are used to describe chords whereas the numbers are used to describe individual notes.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Yes, you can resolve on other chord tones. But, your best bet for practicing to resolve is to use the M7 of the I chord just before landing on the I chord. This M7's name is "the leading-tone", and it's prime existence is to resolve to the Root of the I chord.

Do this even in the Blues and using Minor scales. You might do it in Blues when move back to the I7 chord from the IV7, and especially when moving from the V7 to the I7. So, if you're in a G Blues, use the Gb to resolve to G7, regardless of what chord you're coming from, ie the IV7 or the V7.

Another thing that helps is learning how Minor Keys work, which is different than just a Diatonic lay out of chords. You can REALLY learn to resolve using that M7 note...that's the whole reason for the Harmonic Minor and Melodic Minor scales.

There is also a very often over looked method for tension and resolution out there...it's called Cadences. Beyond learning your scales and how things are built from the scale, the rest of "music" is found in Cadences. Look them and learn them. It's one of the things that could change your playing forever.
Last edited by MikeDodge at Dec 30, 2009,
You can end phrases on nearly any chord tone. If its in the middle of piece, you can end phrases on pretty much any chord you want, and any chord tone always sounds good on top of a chord. At the end of a piece or section, when you want it to sound final, you probably want to end on the tonic, and then the 1 3 and 5 are the best places for the melody, with the 1 being the most resolved of all.