I bet there have been many, many threads for this....
I'll just go ahead and be brief: I am the vocalist in my band, and wanna learn how to scream. I don't really need a whole lot of screaming, since the songs with the most screaming are Chevelle songs, and the other stuff is Seether, Alice in Chains, Deftones, Disturbed, 10 Years, and maybe a few KsE songs....basically any GOOD (as in, not sell-out) alt-metal, grunge, heavy metal, you get it. Any advice? Techniques I should try? Warming up? Etc.? I don't wanna do anything to permanently damage my voice by screaming the wrong way, I've heard of it happening in various different ways.
Quote by EvilAngel93
I bet there have been many, many threads for this....
I'll just go ahead and be brief: I am the vocalist in my band, and wanna learn how to scream. I don't really need a whole lot of screaming, since the songs with the most screaming are Chevelle songs, and the other stuff is Seether, Alice in Chains, Deftones, Disturbed, 10 Years, and maybe a few KsE songs....basically any GOOD (as in, not sell-out) alt-metal, grunge, heavy metal, you get it. Any advice? Techniques I should try? Warming up? Etc.? I don't wanna do anything to permanently damage my voice by screaming the wrong way, I've heard of it happening in various different ways.

um...what?
There's a sub-forum for vocals here. Not only can they probably help you, but I'm sure there are already threads on this you can read.
Quote by theonlyproof
KSE screams in most of their songs i believe.

No idea what he's talking about on the other 2 though...

I know they scream. But he said he didn't want sell-outs
I don't consider them sellout since their music is semi-decent and not Nickelback, Hinder, TOAD....you get it, the horseshit you hear on the radio.
Then again, I'm on a metal-underground-loving site, so....
Quote by herby190
There's a sub-forum for vocals here. Not only can they probably help you, but I'm sure there are already threads on this you can read.

though there is a thread for screaming in the vocals forum, there is a much better thread in the metal forum I believe

edit: never mind, it got moved to the singing forum here
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Dec 30, 2009,
I managed to sound like Rob Halford once, and Chuck Schuldiner afterwards.

But you shouldn't listen to me, once I tried to scream and my vocal cord started to hurt like hell...
...What!?
I sceam so i may be able to help you out. What kind of scream do you want? cuz thats pretty much gonna decide which technique you use? Do you want something like BFMV, Trivium, LOG or somethiing like JFAC or TBDM?
If you want to learn how to scream, follow these simple steps.

Get a box of toothpicks.

Carefully insert each one between all of your toenails of your strongest foot.

Kick a wall as hard as you can.

Done.
Quote by j_link13
I sceam so i may be able to help you out. What kind of scream do you want? cuz thats pretty much gonna decide which technique you use? Do you want something like BFMV, Trivium, LOG or somethiing like JFAC or TBDM?

Hmm...Trivium and LOG. And the highs of All That Remains are what I reeeeaaaalllly like.
Quote by Will Swanson
If you want to learn how to scream, follow these simple steps.

Get a box of toothpicks.

Carefully insert each one between all of your toenails of your strongest foot.

Kick a wall as hard as you can.

Done.

The thought of that in itself is enough to make ANYONE scream like Matt Heafy
Quote by EvilAngel93

The thought of that in itself is enough to make ANYONE scream like Matt Heafy

Horribly?

Go to growling thread and ask the King.

Done
Quote by EvilAngel93
Hmm...Trivium and LOG. And the highs of All That Remains are what I reeeeaaaalllly like.

Well Randy Blythe(LOG), Matt Heafy(Trivium) and Phil Labonte(ATR) all use the technique known as vocal fry. Numerous metalcore bands use this type of technique. Look up Melissa Cross' "Zen of Screaming" for lots of stuff on the vocal fry and breathing with your diaphragm( which you have to do) Its not the main technique i use (more of a false chord guy) but i can do it fairly well.

Vocal fry starts out as a sound in the throat. Hum a note and basically make it lower and lower until you get a weird aaah sound, kind of like a creaky door. Thats the base of vocal fry. It takes practice to get that sound to become longer and louder. Progressing from just the weird sound to an actual scream is the hard part. You just open your mouth wide and put with your diaphragm for highs
People need to shut the hell up about Nickelback.

Silver Side Up was an ace album, and they always have a few select songs that aren't built for the radio on each album.

On topic: Sub forum, dude.

But uh... It takes a lot of practice. One of the biggest parts is doing it for the first time.
A lot of the famous screamers drink their own semen for better and longer screams.
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
Quote by j_link13
Well Randy Blythe(LOG), Matt Heafy(Trivium) and Phil Labonte(ATR) all use the technique known as vocal fry. Numerous metalcore bands use this type of technique. Look up Melissa Cross' "Zen of Screaming" for lots of stuff on the vocal fry and breathing with your diaphragm( which you have to do) Its not the main technique i use (more of a false chord guy) but i can do it fairly well.

Vocal fry starts out as a sound in the throat. Hum a note and basically make it lower and lower until you get a weird aaah sound, kind of like a creaky door. Thats the base of vocal fry. It takes practice to get that sound to become longer and louder. Progressing from just the weird sound to an actual scream is the hard part. You just open your mouth wide and put with your diaphragm for highs

You seem to know what you're talking about. What if I wanted to sound like Job for a cowboy?
For the lower, more "meaty" type screaming (or even growling), you could try death vocals (I think they're called).

It's pretty much that frustrated sigh sound that I hear a lot of girls do (when they see me), but you can manipulate it to sound much better.

EDIT: This kind of screaming is way more risky than vocal fry, but much easier to learn.
Last edited by denfilade at Dec 30, 2009,
Don't do it. For the love of God.
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually