I'm getting a new guitar in two weeks and have up to $1500 to spend. I've been playing for two years and play alot of British, heavy, and thrash metal (Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, Testament), as well as hard rock (AC/DC, Van Halen, Ted Nugent) and on occasion Lynrd Skynerd. Ive been looking at a Gibson SG standard, but Gibby's tend to get alot of hate on UG haha, but I love the feel of it's neck, so any ideas guys? Thx for the help
My Guitars-
ESP LTD EC-1000 (my big papa axe)
Mexican Fender Stratocaster (my blues baby)
Laguna le 122 (hunk of crap)

Amp-
Peavey Vypyr 75

Pedal-
Zakk Wylde Cry Baby
An SG Standard will be perfect for you. If you love the feel its even better.
+1 on the SG, if you like it then there is no question, buy it.

The other guitarist in my band uses a Gibby Sg and its beautiful, probably the only other model of guitar i would want to buy other than my ibby's.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
my argument is that a gibson will last say, 20 years longer than any esp, jackson, ibanez etc

To be honest with you, i think that sg will do fine
Quote by brutalmania
my argument is that a gibson will last say, 20 years longer than any esp, jackson, ibanez etc

To be honest with you, i think that sg will do fine

To be honest with you the middle - high end models on any of the brands you mentioned will outlive most humans if treated with care and maintained properly.

But still the SG is a definate buy if you like it Great guitars.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
if the SG is what you like then get it, but look into other makes as well and try them out before you buy. ESP and Ibanez make very good all round models that will do metal very well but then can also change to "softer" styles and for $1500 you should be able get one no probs
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.