Alright, so I run a pre-gain level of 5-6 on my lead channel for this amp, and it's already extremely noisy. I'm also planning on upgrading guitars, and all the ones I'm looking at have super hot pickups only adding insult to injury. I want the best pedal for this amp that can cut the excess noise without saturating the tone. Obviously the two I had in mind are the NS2 and ISP Decimator. Which one of these is best considering my amp? If there's anything else pitch it my way.
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Squier Fender Stratocaster
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960A Lead Cabinet
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

Check out my band:www.myspace.com/silentsurrendertx
I've only used the ns2 and it worked fine. The daisy chain feature was a big help.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
I say go for the ISP Decimator keeps it quiet and doesnt take anything away from your tone.
My 6505+ isn't noisy at all, surprisingly. But I've always used a Decimator (and did before on my EXTREMELY noisy 5150 combo), and it works like a charm. The NS-2 can "suck tone," but it can also be run in front of the amp and in the loop, which is also very helpful.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I use an ISP Decimator with my Peavey 5150 II head (same as your head) AND an Ibanez TS9! So think about all the gain I have! (I use a XL 500 Bill Lawrence pick up too)

I have the decimator through my FX loop and it works amazing. I tested it out too and with the right settings it doesn't change your tone AT ALL. Not one bit, and when you stop playing it sounds like its on stand by.

But to tell you the truth, it gets really tricky when I run the POST at 3, hard to dial it in where it doesn't lower the volume of my amp, its kinda tricky, but then again I have probably TOO much gain what with the boost from my pedal and the PRE at around 5-6. I probably just have to lower the Drive and Tone and Gain a bit and turn off the BRIGHT switch, and it will work better.

The pedal is ace tho, I wouldn't suggest buying the NS-2, because to be honest I'm on a budget and the ISP wasn't too expensive. I got it used for 100 bucks and it is in amazing condition.

Oh another thing, dialing it in isn't to hard, but there is still a sweet spot with it too. Theres a difference in dial when you hold a palm muted chord and at the end it starts to feedback and holding a palm muted chord and it fades out to silence. Just got **** around with it, but I was blown away by how ****ing amazing it is.
1979 YEAR OF THE HURRICANE BABY!
GSP Rush

GEAR (What I am currently using)
Guitar
Dimebag Darrell Signature ML
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Quote by MYNAMEDOESNTFIT
I use an ISP Decimator with my Peavey 5150 II head (same as your head) AND an Ibanez TS9! So think about all the gain I have! (I use a XL 500 Bill Lawrence pick up too)

I have the decimator through my FX loop and it works amazing. I tested it out too and with the right settings it doesn't change your tone AT ALL. Not one bit, and when you stop playing it sounds like its on stand by.

But to tell you the truth, it gets really tricky when I run the POST at 3, hard to dial it in where it doesn't lower the volume of my amp, its kinda tricky, but then again I have probably TOO much gain what with the boost from my pedal and the PRE at around 5-6. I probably just have to lower the Drive and Tone and Gain a bit and turn off the BRIGHT switch, and it will work better.

The pedal is ace tho, I wouldn't suggest buying the NS-2, because to be honest I'm on a budget and the ISP wasn't too expensive. I got it used for 100 bucks and it is in amazing condition.

Oh another thing, dialing it in isn't to hard, but there is still a sweet spot with it too. Theres a difference in dial when you hold a palm muted chord and at the end it starts to feedback and holding a palm muted chord and it fades out to silence. Just got **** around with it, but I was blown away by how ****ing amazing it is.

Hey man, thanks for the info, this helped a lot. The issue with the post gain is something I need to take in account as well, since this will all be used for the sake of gigging, and I usually run my post level right around 3-4.
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Squier Fender Stratocaster
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960A Lead Cabinet
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

Check out my band:www.myspace.com/silentsurrendertx
Unquestionably, get the ISP. If you have a little more cash the G-String version is a must buy, it has a second set of inputs so you can run it both from before the amp and in the FX loop simultaneously. It also benefits from the tighter suppression used in the Pro Rack G models.

Either way though, any ISP is going to beat it's challengers.
i have a 5150 and i use a decimator and it works perfectly. id definitely go for the isp
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by SilverStratocas
Hey man, thanks for the info, this helped a lot. The issue with the post gain is something I need to take in account as well, since this will all be used for the sake of gigging, and I usually run my post level right around 3-4.

I see no reason to run the gain past 3 ish. Especially if you mic it.
1979 YEAR OF THE HURRICANE BABY!
GSP Rush

GEAR (What I am currently using)
Guitar
Dimebag Darrell Signature ML
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator