Page 1 of 15

Thought it might be time for a new thread. FAQ and thread title needed updating etc etc.

Handy Links:
What iPod do i have?
Apple (US) Apple (UK) Apple (IE)
iTunes
Old iTunes thread

General iPod Questions:

1. How to Get Music from an iPod, to a computer.
Windows: Use iDump
Mac: Use Senuti. You need to pay for this, although it is a small file, so you can easily re-download it when the trial runs out. Worth the hassle imo, as it is the best app i have found for this purpose yet.
If you dont want to go about downloading a program to do it, there is another way around it. Read this. It works for both Mac and Windows.

2.My battery seems to be losing life.
First things first, see if you can get it covered by your warranty. If not, a local store will probably replace a battery for you, for cheaper than apple will, but make sure you price all the options available to you. Dont forget, that batteries can be bought on ebay, and brought to someone to replace for you.

3. My iPod wont show up on my computer/iTunes
First, try a different USB on your computer. If none of them work, try using a different cable. If you are still getting nothing, restart you computer/iTunes. If still nothing is showing up, try plugging your iPod into a different computer, to see if that is what is causing the problem.

4. My iPod is frozen, help?
Reset the ipod by holding the menu and select button, until an apple appears on screen. On the iTouch/iPhone, hold the sleep and menu buttons. If it happens regularly, restore the software through iTunes.

5. Sound is only coming from one headphone, when connected to my iPod.
Try a different set of headphones. If the problem persists, blow sharply into the headphone jack, to dislodge any dirt/dust that may have gotten trapped. If this doesnt work, start pricing a repair.

6. How do i get movies/videos on to my iPod.
For youtube videos: use the site www.zamzar.com.

For videos that you already have on your computer: Videora provides a mac and windows friendly soloution

7. My iPod just got wet
If you can take the cover off the ipod. DO NOT press any buttons, plug it in, or use it in any way. Place it near a rad, in an airing cupboard, or in a bowl of rice, and leave for a few days. If it works, congratulations, if it doesnt, hard luck, you need a new one. Remember, Apple puts litmus paper in all of its iPods, so they will know if it has gotten wet. Water damage is not covered by your warranty.

iPhone/iTouch Questions

1. Jailbreaking/Unlocking.
[quote="'\m/[-_-"]\m/']JAILBREAKING (iPod Touch + iPhone)

1. Go to blackra1n.com and download the version for your computer. (Mac or PC)

2. Once download is complete, plug in your iPod. (If iTunes opens up, close it.)

3. With iPod still connected into computer, open up blackra1n.

4. Click on the button that says 'make it ra1n'. (Ipod screen should now show a man's face with floating iPods around him.)

5. WAIT for blackra1n to complete installation. (It will be complete when your iPod screen goes back to normal. DO NOT unplug iPod during this process.)

6. Unplug iPod (Congrats. iPod is now jailbroken)

READ FURTHER ON HOW TO INSTALL CYDIA

7. There should now be an extra icon on your iPod's home page that says 'black ra1n' and it's icon is a raindrop. Open the application.

8. Once opened, blackra1n will have two programs to install. (I will show you how to install Cydia, but Rock works exactly the same way.)

9. Install Cydia by touching the Cydia icon and touching 'Install'. (It should take a few minutes. BE PATIENT.)

10. Once completed, there should now be an icon on your iPod's home page named 'Cydia' and it's icon is a brown box. Open the application.

11. Now with Cydia, you are able to download thousands of free apps that are unavailable in the iTunes store and are impossible to use unless you have a jailbroken iPod.

HELPFUL THINGS TO KNOW

- If your iPod all-of-a-sudden does not turn on and all it's showing is a 'Connect to iTunes' image, plug your iPod into your computer and run blackra1n on it again. DO NOT try to fix the problem with iTunes... running blackra1n will fix the problem. (Running blackra1n again will not erase any of your applications from Cydia or any other source... everything will return to how it was before your iPod crashed.)

- 'Winterboard' (an app on Cydia), is the app you can install so your iPod can have different backgrounds, different color text, and many more customizable options.

- 'FontSwap' (an app on Cydia), is the app you can install so your iPod can have different styles of fonts for all of your text on your iPod.

- 'MakeItMine' (an app on Cydia), is the app you can install so you can change the text in the upper left and upper middle of your iPod into whatever text you want.

- To install 'Install0us' (an app that lets you download any app on the iTunes store for FREE), go into Cydia, select 'Manage' > 'Sources' > 'Edit' > 'Add' > Type in 'http://cydia.install0us.com' > install.

- To download 'PogoPlank' for free (instead of paying for it in Cydia), add a new source (Just like 'Install0us' above), and enter the url named 'http://repo.beyouriphone.com'. Then install 'PogoPlank'. (This source also lets you download 'Multifl0w' and 'Infinidock' for free too.)

- JAILBREAKING CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR IPOD IF NOT DONE CORRECTLY. SO DON'T BE A DUMBASS.

If you have any questions regarding any specific Cydia apps or trying to find an app the does a certain something, PM me or check out the forums at modmyi.com.

iTunes Questions

1. I want to open an iTunes account, but i dont have a credit card
If you buy an iTunes gift card, available in many, many places, you can open an account with one of them.

This is a living FAQ, any question that is asked frequently, or is deemed important enough to be FAQ'd, will be FAQ'd.

Dont forget to Personal Sticky this thread

Last edited by jimmy_neutron at Jan 18, 2010,
Once again, Jimmy, I still can't get my iTunes working, any help? Do you think if I download the latest iTunes and put it on USB and transfer it to my computer, it will work?
I think its time to pack your things lets go,
To a place where we both know,
And dont worry, I'll drive real slow,
Spend some time before we go..
Last edited by Wells-Zeppelin at Dec 30, 2009,
Yup, I use AVG and it didn't pick anything up.. I don't know whether I should buy a really good virus scanner or what..
Damn, i really dont understand why it is freezing all the time... Are you having a similar problem with deleting/downloading anything else?

How are you deleting your current iTunes, are you just dragging it to the trash or are you using the add/delete app thing for windows?
Is there any way to make my ipd run in mono sound? Its an ipod nano and doesn't seem to have an option for it. Im guessing its not going to but thought id ask

Quote by DeadlyIllness

[that guy again] gets the drum Solo and Title King of the UG.

*Drum Solo*

Steam: yintonyinton
PSN: yintonyinton
Quote by that guy again
Is there any way to make my ipd run in mono sound? Its an ipod nano and doesn't seem to have an option for it. Im guessing its not going to but thought id ask

No theres no option to do it with the iPod. You could go about changing all the music on your ipod to mono mp3 files, although thats a lot of hassle.

Alternatively, you could probably get around with a splitter cable, and a joiner cable.. but using them along with headphones could get very messy while out and about... unless there is a small stereo to mono splitter box that you could get your hands on
Quote by jimmy_neutron
Damn, i really dont understand why it is freezing all the time... Are you having a similar problem with deleting/downloading anything else?

How are you deleting your current iTunes, are you just dragging it to the trash or are you using the add/delete app thing for windows?

Add/Remove programs through Control Panel on Windows.
Quote by Wells-Zeppelin
Add/Remove programs through Control Panel on Windows.

You have admin priveledges on your PC right? Try creating a new user, then log out of your current one, and log into the new one. Use iTunes there, and see does it still freeze up on you.
Quote by jimmy_neutron
You have admin priveledges on your PC right? Try creating a new user, then log out of your current one, and log into the new one. Use iTunes there, and see does it still freeze up on you.

I did exactly that a few days ago, EVERY user apart from mine works perfectly, but mine frezzes (all our accounts are admins)
Plugins? No not that I know of..
Okay, find both these files. Quit iTunes, Move the first one to desktop, and then open iTunes and test it, if the problem persists, move it back, and do the same with the second file.

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes
Okay, I'll do that when I'm back home, i'm currently at Dad's house.
The only thing I don't like about my ipod nano 16gb, is that it sorts the albums by
album-artists. Completely fucks you over if you've got compilation albums etc. where each song is listed with a different artist, so even though they're on the same album they still show up individually in the album list. Why? What's the point? Why sort songs by album if it splits the albums up in the list?
Im almost positive somewhere in iPod settings there is a way to browse with compilations grouped together.

EDIT:

Thanks, although i cant really take full credit for it. A lot of it was lifted from the last thread.
Quote by jimmy_neutron
No theres no option to do it with the iPod. You could go about changing all the music on your ipod to mono mp3 files, although thats a lot of hassle.

Alternatively, you could probably get around with a splitter cable, and a joiner cable.. but using them along with headphones could get very messy while out and about... unless there is a small stereo to mono splitter box that you could get your hands on

Well Its just for use in my brothers car so I wouldn't have to worry about using a splitter and joiiner anywhere else.

Thanks though, I might try and find if we have any of those around the house, hopefully it works

Quote by DeadlyIllness

[that guy again] gets the drum Solo and Title King of the UG.

*Drum Solo*

Steam: yintonyinton
PSN: yintonyinton
Quote by jimmy_neutron
Im almost positive somewhere in iPod settings there is a way to browse with compilations grouped together.

I've looked EVERYWHERE.
I'm torn about jailbraking. I did it once on my iPod Touch, worked fine but when i was downloading themes (from Cydia) it froze. Went back to the original screen with the itunes sign and a usb lead so I had to restore everything.
While I'm here are there any good programs which lower the bitrate of all your songs in one go? I can only seem to find ones which do it song by song or album by album.
iTunes will do it.

Go into preferences, and go to import settings. In there you have the option to choose between all the file types. Select mp3 and custom encoding and there will be a list of bit rates you can select from.

Then save those settings, select all the songs in your library, and right click. There should be an option to "create mp3 version". This will make a copy of every song in your library, at a lower bit rate. Then go to view options from the view drop down menu (might be in a different menu on windows ) and tick the box that says bit rate. Then you will be able to view the bit rate of each song in the columns with artist and album etc.

Sort your library by bit rate, and then select all the songs that arent of the new bit rate type, and delete them. (for a fast select click the first song, and then click the last one whilst holding the shift key)

Does that help?
Quote by jimmy_neutron
iTunes will do it.

Go into preferences, and go to import settings. In there you have the option to choose between all the file types. Select mp3 and custom encoding and there will be a list of bit rates you can select from.

Then save those settings, select all the songs in your library, and right click. There should be an option to "create mp3 version". This will make a copy of every song in your library, at a lower bit rate. Then go to view options from the view drop down menu (might be in a different menu on windows ) and tick the box that says bit rate. Then you will be able to view the bit rate of each song in the columns with artist and album etc.

Sort your library by bit rate, and then select all the songs that arent of the new bit rate type, and delete them. (for a fast select click the first song, and then click the last one whilst holding the shift key)

Does that help?

Yeah, I'l give it a go. Thanks
I'm going to jailbreak my iPod Touch (2nd Gen). I know there's lots of iPhone jailbreaks out there, but are there any good Touch jailbreaks?
<--- Craig: Guy With Best Username Ever
Quote by Primus2112
\m/[-_-]\m/

lulz, best name ever.

Quote by herby190
TS, your username is really difficult to type, so I'm just going to refer to you as Craig from now on. Okay? Okay.
Quote by jimmy_neutron
If you go into settings, is there an option to "Group Compilations"?

No, can't find such a thing. Are you using the same model?
Neer:

-Shift-Click on the songs that are in the compilation
-Right-Click on selected songs and click on 'Get Info'
-go to the next tab called 'Info'
-change the [Album Artist] to 'Misc. Bands'
-now get out of that and click on each single song and change the [Artist] (NOT the [Album Artist])

EDIT:
Also, in the 'Get Info' section of a song under the 'Options' tab, there's a checkbox that says 'Part Of A Compilation'. So if you don't want some songs to be in a compilation, just uncheck that box.
Quote by Primus2112
\m/[-_-]\m/

lulz, best name ever.

Quote by herby190
TS, your username is really difficult to type, so I'm just going to refer to you as Craig from now on. Okay? Okay.
Last edited by \m/[-_-]\m/ at Dec 30, 2009,
I'm sure I'm asking a stupid question here but I recently switched to an itouch (former zune user) but iTunes seemed to try all my 80+gigs of music on to my 8 gig itouch and I can't seem to figure out how to take any music off of it...
I feel super dumb haha but when I click on the device on iTunes and go under music nothing shows up besides how much space I've used up. help will be appreciated!
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
Quote by garfgarfgarf
I'm torn about jailbraking. I did it once on my iPod Touch, worked fine but when i was downloading themes (from Cydia) it froze. Went back to the original screen with the itunes sign and a usb lead so I had to restore everything.
While I'm here are there any good programs which lower the bitrate of all your songs in one go? I can only seem to find ones which do it song by song or album by album.

I've jailbroke mine since I got my iPod Touch 2g, however I did have to wait a bit for the jailbreak but I jailbroke it on the release of redsn0w (dont know what software they use now, blackrain is it? or blackice, not sure )

Anyway, if you dont have a jailbroken iPod Touch then you are not getting the full experience of the touch. For one - you CANNOT brick your iPod. Simply go to DFU mode and restore through iTunes then its back to the start. Secondly, mines only froze about 2 times through my whole jailbreak life and so with yours freezing straight away thats slightly unlucky. LOL.

Quote by CaptainOfSmug
I'm sure I'm asking a stupid question here but I recently switched to an itouch (former zune user) but iTunes seemed to try all my 80+gigs of music on to my 8 gig itouch and I can't seem to figure out how to take any music off of it... I feel super dumb haha but when I click on the device on iTunes and go under music nothing shows up besides how much space I've used up. help will be appreciated!

Manually manage music? Or just untick all the songs in your library that you don't want to be synced.
I was about six there. You don't want to see me go to ten. Get your shit. We're going to my room.
Last edited by livnew at Dec 31, 2009,
CaptainOfSmug:

-update to the newest iTunes software
-plug in your ipod
-when it starts syncing, cancel it
-make a playlist and put all of the songs you want in it
-now go back to your iPod section in iTunes (iPod needs to be plugged in)
-click on the tab called 'Music'

Now all you have to do is make it so your iPod just syncs to that playlist. (pretty self-explanatory so that's why I'm not going step-by-step for that part)
Quote by Primus2112
\m/[-_-]\m/

lulz, best name ever.

Quote by herby190
Okay so I just got a new Ipod and it's already pissing me off. I selected an album to listen to on it and it skipped over several songs and played a random one that I didn't want to listen to. It appeared to only be that particular album I had trouble with but then I put my iPod on shuffle and it skipped over the first track, and I had to hit back to get it to play. All my songs play in iTunes. Also, my iPod won't show up under devices in iTunes anymore. And when it does it says it's corrupted. What do I do about this? Is there something I did to screw it up? I've been taking great care of it and I just got it, so I don't know wtf is going on.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
fail:

To fix the skipping songs issue:
Hold down the Menu-Center button combination and that should fix it. (That's happened to me before and that's fixed the problem)

Corrupted iPod issue:
Try plugging your usb cable into another port. That should fix it, but if it doesn't, take it back to Apple and they should replace it.

EDIT:
Also, you could restore your iPod as a last resort if everything else fails.
Quote by Primus2112
\m/[-_-]\m/

lulz, best name ever.

Quote by herby190
Last edited by \m/[-_-]\m/ at Dec 31, 2009,
Quote by Dirge Humani
It sounds like your iPod is corrupted, and that you should contact Apple. If you just got it, it is surely under warranty.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but what I'm wondering is what made it corrupted. Is it something I might have done or was I just unlucky enough to get a crappy iPod?

[quote="\m/[-_-"]\m/ ]fail:

To fix the skipping songs issue:
Hold down the Menu-Center button combination and that should fix it. (That's happened to me before and that's fixed the problem)
I've been having to repeat this countless times and it hasn't fixed it...

Corrupted iPod issue:
Try plugging your usb cable into another port. That should fix it, but if it doesn't, take it back to Apple and they should replace it.

EDIT:
Also, you could restore your iPod as a last resort if everything else fails.

I've restored it a few times as well. I think I'll just take it back. Thanks guys
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Okay how do I take off all the music from my itouch and not put any on? When I o o he music tab in the device it says it's all full bit doesn't show what songs or artists are on it
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
Is there any way to increase the distance or strength of a wifi connection on an iPod touch? I'm currently at my dad's house, and I don't have any other way to get to the Internet. Seeing as I come down here every-other weekend, it would be nice if I could get Internet. The only wifi I can find is on somebody else's connection, and that only works in the very corner of the apartment, and even then, the connection keeps cutting out. I can see right now that the connection is gone, and I'm going to have to go reconnect just to post this. Is there any advice or tips that could help strengthen this signal? Like, something to change in the connection setup, or a cheaper accesory I could buy?