what settings sound good on marshall dsl 401?
i would like to get something like a blink 182 sound. warm,crunchy and chunky distortion. xD
i have ibanez grg170dx and a marshall dsl 401 combo. if i had seymour duncan sh-8 invader would it change anything?
should i scoop the mids and crank the bass and treble??

tom delonge used a strat with sd invader pickup and a mesa boogie triple rectifier mixed with marshall jcm 900.
but now he uses gibson es 333, his signature model with gibson dirty fingers pickup(high output pickup) and i guess he uses 2 vox ac30h2's and 2 fender deluxe reverbs.
i think he mixes them together, but im not sure.
so what settings for that blink 182 sound?
An Invader would make your tone muddy and indistinct - steer well clear.

If you want a replacement pickup look at the Dimarzio Breed or Norton, or the Duncan Custom Custom
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
why do you think so? tom delonge had an invader in a strat... and synyster gates has it too... but their tone is not muddy.
and i have a marshall dsl 401. i think its pretty bright when you turn the treble up. it has 4 el84 tubes. is it something with my guitar? its an ibanez grg170dx.
please answer my questions ^
thank you!
Quote by scream92
why do you think so? tom delonge had an invader in a strat... and synyster gates has it too... but their tone is not muddy.
That's because they both have nice rigs. If I were to put a low end Squier through their rigs it would still sound good.

Pickups don't affect the sound as much as the amp, hence why their tone is good even though they both use the Invader (though the Invader is decent in the right body, however I would still avoid it).
yeah, but i have a tube amp and i think invader would sound better than my stock pickup.
the stock pickup already came with high output, and this guitar is meant for that.
and i have an all tube amp, i even think its kinda trebley so invader should sound good.
do you think ibanez gio is not the right guitar for invader pickup?

yeah pickups dont affect sound as much as the amp, but i think it would sound a little bit different with invader.
i think i should use my amps distortion for blink sound.
even though tom delonge did use mesa boogie triple rectifier before, now he uses vox ac30's mixed with fender deluxe reverbs. his sound is different now.
but what settings would you recommend? can i get somethin similar with this guitar rig that i have?
while the wood of the guitar also highly effects the pickuptone, tom delonge had an invader in a alder strat, bright wood and muddy pickup balance out pretty well, for that punky tone on a marshall id almost crank the mids till their annoying. id put the bass around 8 or 9 treble at 5-6 and crank the mids and gain a tad over half
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by scream92
and i have a marshall dsl 401. i think its pretty bright when you turn the treble up. it has 4 el84 tubes. is it something with my guitar? its an ibanez grg170dx.
please answer my questions ^
thank you!

Oh ffs i give up, buy the pissing Invader then if that'll make you happy.

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I found this thread amusing, till this

Quote by steven seagull
Oh ffs i give up, buy the pissing Invader then if that'll make you happy.

Then I couldn't stop laughin

Some people just can't be helped steven
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
dont be such a dick. sd invader is not a bad pickup, look at artists like synyster gates. he has great guitar tone.
people say invader sucks, but the problem is that you need a good tube amp for it to sound good. and invader is quite bassy so i agree that guitar body wood is important. it really affects your tone.
i guess the invader is not good for basswood, its better for alder and mahogany body.
The Invader is bad because the UG bandwagon says so, im afraid youre just going to have to live with that.
experiment with your settings and pedals. tone is something you chase, not something you catch usually. unfortunately. good luck.

getting a vox/fender tone out of a dsl is going to be an exersize in futility. seeing as one is mid bumped and the other mid scooped.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
ok. thanks for advice.

vox is actually quite similar to marshall dsl combo.
they both have 4 EL84 power tubes. and tom used mesa boogie before, so i think i can get close to his sound with a different amp. maybe not.

i guess his sound is straightforward, so i think i can get that with my setup, but to get closer i should use the same pickup or change my guitar.
but what settings do you recommend for his sound?

my gear is :
Marshall dsl 401 combo
ibanez grg170dx
boss dd-3
boss os-2
digitech thl-2 hardwire metal distortion
what should i do to get blink 182's tone ?
any ideas?
Last edited by scream92 at Dec 31, 2009,