I am trying to train myself with a pick and learn to make beter use of my pinky in the same exercises.

Economy picking I have now got at slow speeds

But my pinky is annoying me.

I cant seem to make it bend at a perfect angle. I put so much pressure on it without it moving and the 'click' I feel a tendon move or something and it shoots out way to far.

Help?

I am using really simple licks like / lower on the board so i have to stretch.

Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q
E||----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
B||----------------------|----------------------|-----------------3----|
G||----------------------|----------------------|--1----3----4---------|
D||----------------------|-------1----2----4----|----------------------|
A||------------1----3----|--4-------------------|----------------------|
E||--2----4--------------|----------------------|----------------------|

Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q
-------2----4----2----|----------------------|----------------------|
--4-------------------|--4----3--------------|----------------------|
----------------------|------------4----3----|--1-------------------|
----------------------|----------------------|-------4----2----1----|
----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|

Q Q Q Q Q
----------------------|-------||
--4----3----1---------|-------||
-----------------4----|--2----||

Sory about the deadness of that. It works out in notepad

EDIT AFTER a re-read:

The problem is not hitting the ote but hitting it with the tip of my finger. Just thought id clarify

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Dec 30, 2009,
Well the biggest thing, and I know it sucks, but practice those licks more. If it was easy everyone would do it. But it sounds like you need to strengthen your pinky more. Chromatic exercises and hammer on/pull off exercises for the pinky will strengthen it. Make sure you do everything in slow motion and hit the string with the tip of your finger.
Oh, i dont mind practicing lol. I enjoy playing. However i was wondering if this is a natural thing for a finger.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
My pinky does the same thing, so your not alone.
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
I have the same problem somewhat, my pinky just doesn't want to work like the rest. I bought a finger exerciser (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Planet-Waves-Varigrip-Hand-Exerciser-105291835-i1435423.gc) and that has seemed to help out some. I also ordered Guitar Hero by suggestion of some UGer's because the finger placement while playing the game seems to be a great pinky training exercise and it will be fun.
Laguna 422-HE
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pocket POD
(Slowly getting back into the groove )
Quote by d4man
My pinky does the same thing, so your not alone.

Thanks guys. The hand thing looks good. Ill call it a miss though. Anything I need can be done on my freatboard .

And im skit

Thanks guy

BTW I may just use a wieight / exersises to loosen things up in there. If successful i may wright an article.

Cheers all

Certified lurker
Quote by IYanoplathizoI

Thanks guys. The hand thing looks good. Ill call it a miss though. Anything I need can be done on my freatboard .

And im skit

Thanks guy

BTW I may just use a wieight / exersises to loosen things up in there. If successful i may wright an article.

Cheers all

I think that click is caused by your pinky being underdeveloped compared to your other fingers and that everyone has that problem at first, don't quote me on this though
I'd like to mention that I have the same problem...
and I've never found a way around it.
but try to no overdo it I heard you can damage the tendon
It's normal, I had the same thing. If you focus on using your pinky a lot it'll subside with a couple of weeks of practice.
Just work really hard on using your pinky as much as possible and it will gain the dexterity your other fingers have. But make sure you relax - it sounds like you are playing with a lot of your tension from what you described in your original post. Tension is one of the most important things you need to conquer in order to be able to play well.
I know what you mean about the clicky thing. I have natural clicky joints, they've been like that as long as I can remember. Sometimes I'll be halfway through a song and my pinky will get into that state where it wants to click but isn't quite ready to, and I'll be really conscious of it the rest of the way through. It sucks!
clicky/cracking fingers that don`t produce severe burning sensations are the result of small gas bubbles between the joints being popped.

anything that produces a severe burning sensation is soft tissue (tendons/ligaments etc) related

anything that produces a dull ache generally means broken bones.

i think the TS needs to build up their finger strength.

if it hurts then stop and rest.