Has anyone got experience of the Randall RH heads, specifically the RH150G3? I was having a look around and it seems like a pretty decent hi-gain amp for a good price, especially given how it won't suffer the same tone suck as a pure valve amp being a hybrid. I know Randall are pretty good when it comes to SS stuff, and the clips I've seen on YouTube would suggest that it gets a pretty good tone.

Thanks.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
I don't have any experience with that particular head but imo Randall makes some of the best SS amps on the market both in terms of tone and reliability, especially if you're looking for a decent metal amp.
This was my thinking - for the price including a cab they're pumping out at least as much gain as a Bugera and are cheaper overall. My only concern is how well they would take active/very hot pickups being solid state based primarily.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
The RH150G3 is usable for metal. Although it has way too much bass, even when you dial it down. That and I found the gain characteristics a bit too buzzy and harsh.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Got to say I love a lot of bass for a really nice chunky thump even if I'm playing in E standard.

What is it like with actives or hot passives? There aren't any decent quality videos on the old YouTube.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Quote by Hidden Hippo
Got to say I love a lot of bass for a really nice chunky thump even if I'm playing in E standard.

What is it like with actives or hot passives? There aren't any decent quality videos on the old YouTube.

I like a lot of bass as well but this wasn't just a lot of bass. This was a lot of bass and mud. When you dial the bass down, the amp thins up quite a bit too. I used to run the mids pretty high that thing too.

I find that amp likes mid output passive pickups the best.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
By mid output passive are you thinking of something like a SD Jazz? Also, could this get a decent Muse tone with a fuzz pedal? I think I might go and give one a go tomorrow to see what its like - it'll be better than my current amp certainly and the videos sound like it has a nice punch to it (especially for the price).
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
what is this "tone suck" you speak of?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Not tone suck, just a word I came up with at the time. I'm talking about when a tube amp doesn't create the same tone when the tubes aren't being pushed due to a low volume.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
ah ok. i was like uh....lolwut.

but yeah from what ive heard the rh series are pretty decent metal amps, especially for the price.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
How well do they take pedals? I've got a multi-fx at the moment but want to start replacing them with some single pedals. I was thinking of a chorus (EHX Small Clone possibly) and a 10-band EQ.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
What happened to the MTS series. I saw a while back about you wanting one of them.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
yea if you were considering the MTS series, you were on the right track for sure. also, SD Jazz is a high output humbucker i'm pretty sure.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
The MTS are insanely hard to get hold of - £750 for the head, £180 for each module. To get a fully loaded rig you're looking at about £1k without a cab which is just mental (for now...). I would still like one as it would be ideal for me, but they're so pricey.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
have you considered the combo version? i own the RM50 and it's an amazing amp no doubt.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Hmmm... I really wasn't fussed on the RH heads to be honest. The ones I tried were ok but the gain just didn't seem gnarley enough somehow, also as H4T3BR33D3R says there is very little sparkle or clarity on offer. The cleans were ok I guess, nothing special. I ended up buying an Ibanez TBX head instead and it $hat all over the randall in both clean and distorted sound. Was less than half the price of too
I have, but the 50W combo is still £800 or so - the head and a cab is cheaper, which I will still consider.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
I have an RM100 combo and 5 modules; got 'em all at 1100$ USD. It is quite possible to find a good deal on these
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
i imagine it's harder for him to find a good deal since he is in the UK. mtsforum.grailtone.com

go to the classifieds there and you could find a good deal, that site is specifically for us MTS owners .
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I've been looking over there for a while - annoyingly most of the stuff is in the US, and shipping something as heavy as an amp is expensive, not to mention customs charges.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
ah, sorry for the false hope then...i guess you either gotta settle for less, or save up some more for something you'll be more satisfied with...but trust me, MTS line is worth waiting for..
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
ah, sorry for the false hope then...i guess you either gotta settle for less, or save up some more for something you'll be more satisfied with...but trust me, MTS line is worth waiting for..

Not to worry about it. The RH is almost cheap enough to warrant buying it to tide me over until I can afford an RM.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Quote by Hidden Hippo
Not to worry about it. The RH is almost cheap enough to warrant buying it to tide me over until I can afford an RM.

The RM line really is one of the most spectacularly designed amps in recent history. It literally IS the most versatile amp in existence, bar none.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules