Hi,

I'm in the market for a new amp. I currently have a fender hot rod deluxe which i use for clean but for overdrive with my TS808, it doesn't sound too good.
So i'm looking for a second amp that does overdrive well, because that's what i'm going to use it for most.
I'll be using both amps at the same time live, the fender set clean and the other one overdriven.
I play blues most and sometimes some rock too.
Nothing too heavy, think Joe Bonamassa.

I've had some trouble with the tubes in my hot rod and I don't want to buy another tube amp.

Any good modelers out there for me, around 500 dollars ?
I was diggin the Flextone because of it's amp models and built in effects ( a big bonus IMO) but I wasn't impressed by it's overdriven sounds.
Are there any good alternatives to the flextone out there ?
Wattage around 75 like the flextone would be good for gigging I think.

Many thanks !
Last edited by J-Master at Dec 30, 2009,
I would reccomend a Vox Valvetronics VT50 http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT50-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=424008. The Vox line of amps have great sounding amps and it's a hybrid amp meaning that it runs on both a valve and SS.

If that's not enought power they also sell a 100W version, http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT100-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=424009, but it's about $150 more than what you want to spend. Good luck and just go try out some amps at your local store as you ear is the best judge on what to get!
Last edited by FrankForce77 at Dec 30, 2009,
Quote by FrankForce77
I would reccomend a Vox Valvetronics VT50 http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT50-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=424008. The Vox line of amps have great sounding amps and it's a hybrid amp meaning that it runs on both a valve and SS.

Its not a hybrid, its a gimmick - it runs off a single tube (12ax7 if I'm not mistaken) which isn't enough to have a huge affect on the tone. In order to familiarize yourself with what a real hybrid is take a look at a Randall V2.

Although I'll agree that a VT would be a good amp for the TS. They do blues and rock much better than the other popular modelers that are on the market, imo.
A big NO to the VT.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I think the VT is quite a bit under my budget, and I didn't like it much, but thanks for the suggestion.
Quote by J-Master
I think the VT is quite a bit under my budget, and I didn't like it much, but thanks for the suggestion.

If you're ruling out tube amps then you aren't going to find anything amazing. Out of the popular modelers (cube, vypyr, vt) I'd have to say that a VT would be the best option. The Flextone is a much better choice but you already stated that you didn't like the overdriven tones.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Do you care to elaborate on this??

The VT's are pretty nice, but I thought TS isn't looking for oversized practice amps.

Also, if he already didn't like the Flextone (which is already a better amp than the VT), why would he like the VT?

Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
The VT's are pretty nice, but I thought TS isn't looking for oversized practice amps.

Also, if he already didn't like the Flextone (which is already a better amp than the VT), why would he like the VT?

See my post right above yours lol.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
See my post right above yours lol.

Damn, I was slow.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
does it have to be a modeller? my valvepower 18 watt clone does joe bonamassa tones very well indeed, should be under budget (though you'd need a cab), and it takes a TS-style boost well. Would be worth considering, i'd have thought, unless you need the versatility of a modeller.

http://www.valvepower.co.uk/

EDIT: i missed the bit about your saying you don't want another tube amp. I guess you can ignore my post.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
does it have to be a modeller? my valvepower 18 watt clone does joe bonamassa tones very well indeed, should be under budget (though you'd need a cab), and it takes a TS-style boost well. Would be worth considering, i'd have thought, unless you need the versatility of a modeller.

http://www.valvepower.co.uk/

EDIT: i missed the bit about your saying you don't want another tube amp. I guess you can ignore my post.

looks really nice but i'm put off by the tubes, had some bad experiences with the HRD and don't want to go back

I might still have to go for the flextone if i don't have any better options, i just hope it does bonamassa well
no problem, that's your prerogative.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by J-Master
i'm still not fond of the flextone idea, any alternatives ?

If you want a nice overdriven amp to go with the ts-808 I would certainly suggest a tube amp.
Sure there are some problems involved sometimes. And I think everyone here who plays a tube amp has had a problem once or twice with it, but the tone, saturation and the overdrive will be so much nicer if you go tube. The valvepower is actually a really nice suggestion, hook that up to a nice 112 V30 cab and use your HRD for cleans and you have a great live set-up.
hey, just wanted to let you guys know i got a Duoverb, which i like quite a bit more than the flextone. The duoverb with a plexi and hiwatt amp model, combined with my blues deluxe, sound-wise, is heaven !

thanks for the help everyone !