Page 1 of 2
Most people think of Ibanez guitars as the be and end all of mid range electric guitars, and whenever a person on a forum dares to create a thread about which guitar to purchase, he is hammered into a pulp with 'Get an Ibanez' responses.

I personally don't understand the hype. They're mediocre at best. QA on the guitars is minimalistic most of the time and the company has outsourced to poor quality workshops in Indonesia/South East Asia to cut down on costs (and thus quality.)

The stock pickups on all the guitars are, to sum it up in one word, shit. You can get a decent mid ranged guitar with real SD's, EMG's or whatever you prefer for the exact same price without having to settle with some no name, zero clarity INF pickup.

What do you think of Ibanez personally? Overrated? Discuss.
Maybe slightly overrated, but not as much as other brands like gibson.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Overrated, thank you. Like you said, any time any poor sap makes a "which guitar" thread, he's pummeled with answers going "GET AN RG!" No matter what his musical tastes are.

Quote by Muzz666
Jackson all the way.

I love my DKMG. <3<3<3

This right here. RR3!
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Dec 30, 2009,
I think Ibanez makes great guitars, you dont have a clue as to what a good guitar is so stop crying and buy one !!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, not over rated.

You seem to focus on the QA (which actualy isnt bad, dunno where you get the idea Ibanez mid range have awful QA) and sound. Have you ever thought about the fact the Ibanez are thought to be very good because of the out-of-the-box playability? I dunno about you, but I would prefer a guitar that feels orgasmic to play but requires a pickup upgrade, than a guitar that sounds amazing but feels rubbish to play.

They are def not the best however (I love my ESP LTD, and I like some of the mid/high Jacksons).
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Dec 30, 2009,
I think slightly, as I agree with the **** inf pickups and the terrible trems on the lower series.
But saying that, I've seen some J Craft Ibanez's that were amazing, but i've yet to play a prestige that I like the feel of.
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by sstony
I think Ibanez makes great guitars, you dont have a clue as to what a good guitar is so stop crying and buy one !!!!!!!!!!!!!

TS, You'll need this flame shield. This forum is crawling with Ibey fanboys.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
Overrated, thank you. Like you said, any time any poor sap makes a "which guitar" thread, he's pummeled with answers going "GET AN RG!" No matter what his musical tastes are.

+3,14159

I completely agree. It's like: "Do you play punk? Blues? Death, trash, doom or black metal? Jazz? Progressive rock? Post-rock? Rockabilly? Indie? Hardcore? Pop? Vegetarian progressive grindcore? Yeah, get an RG, it's the perfect guitar for you."

They are extremely overrated, and you can get equivalent or better guitars in the same price range. If you are an Ibanez fan, that's fine, but don't paint them as the be-all end-all of guitars.

And (and this is just my personal taste and opinion) they sound simply generic and with no character at all to me.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Not a big fan of the mid-range guitars. love the S-prestige though.. plays lovely.
I'm an esp man myself. But i guess it's just personal taste
Esp ltd M-1000 deluxe stblck EMG
Epiphone LP standard EMG 81/85
keiper les paul stock
Bugera 333 XL 120w head
H&K attax 100 combo
Boss me-50
Quote by Zhuriel
Maybe slightly overrated, but not as much as other brands like gibson.

Hahahaha yep
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Ibanez are a fantastic manufacturor of guitars period. The fact is the base materials they use are great, you can get a mahogany bodied super strat with an amazing tremolo system for £400 which is hard to beat. The stock pickups are not as bad as some people make out, for no name pickups they are ok, not as good as SD or Dimarzios or whatnot, but they arent as bad as others make out.

Its actually good that they are cheaper and have stock no name pickups, because most people like to put their own pickups anyway, and its really hard to find guitars with the exact specs you want, so it just leaves you the cash to put exactly what pickups you want in the guitar.

The necks are fantastically easy to use and generally the setups on them are reasonable, although QC on most middle range guitar is quite sporadic and most guitars need setups right out of the box.

I only use Ibanez S series guitars now because they match up exactly to the specifications that i want and i have the spare cash to make them into high end instruments. This is where Ibanez Shines, i now have two guitars, that have one of the best tremolo units ever made, stay in tune for months at a time, have mahogany bodies, bareknuckle pickups and simply are the best playing, best sounding instruments i have laid my hands on and they are exactly how i want them, and they cost me around £800-£900 each. Ive not found anything to match the quality of my Ibanez S series period, let alone in that price range.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by ibanezgod1973
this is going to end up as a big flame war and should be closed by the mods

You beat me to it.
pointy guitars are overrated. along with ibanez,jackson, and esp imo.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Pointless thread is pointless.

Another silly person wants to be validated.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Talentless said it right !!!!!!!! for the money you cant beat the quality, and I dont own just Ibanez, all of my guitars are top of the line it just so happens that I have more Ibanez then the other´s, and there´s good reasoning behind it. They are better then most of the shit thats out there today.
Ibanez are well made, good playing guitars. They have an extensive line with a great many features, so they have something for just about everyone; style and price-wise. The praise for them may at times become effusive, but that is true for almost any guitar brand out there.

I like their guitars and basses. Others do not. A lot of pros play them, and a lot of other pros do not. It is entirely a subjective thing.
If I wanted to be convinced that 50 types of the same guitar are completely different because they're in slightly different colours, then I'd like Ibanez (Gibson do the same thing, but then that's already been covered). Otherwise, I'll pass thanks.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
I just got one, and before that, I thought I would never get one, but now.. I found out that it is a decent guitar. But the tremolo sucks.. I haven't had the thing in tune yet..
Hey,
I have a mixed opinion on ibanez,
I dont think theyre over rated,
They feel nice to play and they sound quite good on a practice amp,
But i did notice at band practice they sound a bit week on a more powerfull amp.
Im left handed and there isnt much of a choice of guitars for me ,
Ive tried an sg , les paul and an ibanez grg170 ,
They all play nice,
But to be honest an epiphone les paul sounds alot better than an ibanez .
Sorry for the long review,
But in my opinion i prefer a les paul.
Different strokes for different folks. You can't beat an Ibanez for versatility imho. I went through my Ibanez period and I thought that they were good guitars considering you don't pay all that much for what you get. They stay in tune fairly well and are playable. Some people (like me) don't like the toothpick necks and shrediness that just oozes out of the guitar, but if that's what you're looking for, I don't see why you wouldn't get one you know?

People tend to recommend Ibanez guitars because they are affordable, are decent to play and are versatile enough to cover multiple genres.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The only Ibanez products I like, are the pedals.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
The only Ibanez I'd buy is the RG2228. But Agile has a much better-equipped 8-string for almost 1/3 the price. Better wood choice, neck-thru, same damn pickups, longer scale length, no need for a goddamn locking bridge and nut (seriously, why even use that on a fixed bridge?), and it just looks better.

So I guess that makes the RG2228 crap. But nooo. It costs 3 times as much as the Agile because it's a "boutique brand-name instrument that only elitists can handle". So I laugh at RG2228 players.
Quote by ch0
Pointless thread is pointless.

Another silly person wants to be validated.

+1
whiny rant is whiny.

*reported*
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I would think the majority of the people on this forum are young and into heavy music. An Ibanez fits well with that demographic. The other people, like myself, who like classic old school guitars usually get told how stupid we are.
Notice how all the people whining about this thread being pointless are RG players?

Nice job looking butthurt, people!
I don't think they are that overrated really... they just aren't everybodys thing.
Not everybody likes those thin necks, passive PU's and Edge trems most Ibanezes have.

And RGs are recommended on so many threads because they are one of the most versatile guitars in mid range and most of their guitars guitars, -including gios- are very well build and well set up unlike low end Epiphones and other guitars under 300€.
Quote by travislausch
Notice how all the people whining about this thread being pointless are RG players?

Nice job looking butthurt, people!

Actually, those RG players use an RG for a reason:p and why do people seem to forget ibanez has more than just RGs?o.O
thats your opinion. i personally also do not like them, but i dont mind them. they seem too 'kiddy' for me, like a toy. im not into vai satch or shred in general and they're made primarily for that genre. also the general shape of the RG puts me off. but their vintage hollowbodies (strictly those shaped like the es) i like a lot. not cheap though- such as the john schofield model
Quote by Gego
and why do people seem to forget ibanez has more than just RGs?o.O

Probably because it's their most successful model line, and most well-known.

All that being said, I like the S series' looks, but eh. Needs better pickups.

I'm not really an Ibanez fan. I mean, they're decent enough quality, I guess, but horribly overpriced. Like I mentioned in my eight-string post, you can get the same kind of quality or better for far less than half the price. All you're really paying for with an Ibanez is a brand name.
The necks are bit thin, and they look a bit "shred" for my liking, I prefer more classic guitars, semi-hollows, telecasters etc. and if I ever go for a more metal look an SG for me is more versatile (tonally and aesthetically). Their "artcore" archtop range look very nice but are way over priced.
Quote by travislausch
All you're really paying for with an Ibanez is a brand name.

Well, that's the case with many brands, not only in guitars. But gibson is much worse in that aspect.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Quote by hiddeninromance
The necks are bit thin, and they look a bit "shred" for my liking, I prefer more classic guitars, semi-hollows, telecasters etc. and if I ever go for a more metal look an SG for me is more versatile (tonally and aesthetically). Their "artcore" archtop range look very nice but are way over priced.

This clears everything up for me.

Honestly, I couldn't care less for the guitars other brands make today. Other then Gibson, Fender, PRS, etc. I like classic guitars. They give me the sound I want. Even higher end Ibanez's like the JEM, are just not my style. Don't get me wrong, they're great guitars, just not for me.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
To be honest, i havnt heard a whole lot about ibanez guitars being great. But now that you mention it, THEY ARE. The S Series are the best models though: Fast action, Good Tone, and look awsome.
Quote by travislausch
The only Ibanez I'd buy is the RG2228. But Agile has a much better-equipped 8-string for almost 1/3 the price. Better wood choice, neck-thru, same damn pickups, longer scale length, no need for a goddamn locking bridge and nut (seriously, why even use that on a fixed bridge?), and it just looks better.

So I guess that makes the RG2228 crap. But nooo. It costs 3 times as much as the Agile because it's a "boutique brand-name instrument that only elitists can handle". So I laugh at RG2228 players.

you must be new on the subject of guitar construction, because you see those on the Agile aren't the bee's knees.

Better Wood choice? you must be trolling.Just because a guitar is basswood doesn't mean its not high quality. Hell, low ass quality mahogany found on most cheap guitars aren't even on the same playing field as good basswood

Neck Thru? -always better? try again. Sustain doesn't suffer from a good bolt on

The S series? New neck pickup? Jesus christ, no no no scrap the other factors such as build quaility, and parts...Pickups are easy to replace and those found on most stock guitars(dimarzio, duncans etc) are a small factor in equation in sound in the end and really not all that

People have different preferences. But saying a guitar brand is overrated is just attention seeking.

*reported *
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I'm personally not sure a huge fan of ibanez cuz I'm tired of hearing "GET A RG! JEMS ARE AWESOME!" etc... Same thing goes for Gibson. I've played my friends Gibson Les Paul Classic quite a few times and doesn't satisfy me as much as the Schecters I've played. Apparently the prices aren't as crazy as some of your dealers but the Dean dealer for us is absolutely crazy.

I'd say the brands that are most worth it are Schecter and ESP (well some models are quite stupidly priced)
Page 1 of 2