Hey,

I've just started to learn the Electric Acoustic after 10 years and I've got to grips with the basics.

I just wanted to know whether its more advantagious to use Finger Plectrums right from the start or can the same be achieved with a Single Plectrum playing solo's i.e. 'Fleetwood Mac - Big Love (Solo), Under the Bridge - Chilli's (Solo)

What would you advise?

Kind regards,

Mario
It cannot harm to leran both =)
you might want to consider actually piking direktly with your fingers instead of buying finger picks. that is also waht lindsey buckingham (he wrote big love) does =)
I'd say single pick for solo's.

In fact, I'd say single picks for everything unless you're doing full on finger picking.

I personally don't use a pick anymore (I kept dropping them and getting annoyed).

Watch people doing covers of those songs on YouTube and see how they play them would probably be your best option.
just use your fingers man, a much more natural tone when finger picking. And if your doing rapid solos where you need a pic, just have one near you. Problem solved and best sound acuired.

If you don't wanna do that, you can do it with just the thumb pick like tommy emmanuel, but i found the thumb pick just plain awkward.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Hey All,

Thank you for your help and advice, Picking directly with my fingers seems like the best option.

Excuse my ignorance, do you mean grow my finger nails to achieve the sound without Finger Plectrums or just plain old fingers?

Kind regards,

Mario
No Fingernails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
hahahaha, i did that once, you get extra volume from you acoustic unamplified, but it greatly decreases the natural sound of your instrument.

You really notice it when you play with fingernails and go back, cause when i did that i was like 'Woah!" And you also have to relearn how to play cause ur fingers are then closer to the fretboard.

But yer, keep those nails down (unless you're doing flamenco of coarse), keep a pick handy and play that nice nice music you were telling us about (steve vai reference alert!)

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
I recommend just use fingers, no nails, classic guitarists will whine about the tone but once you get good at it you get sweet tone, I always play don't cry- gnr, dust in the wind-Kansas, and simple man-lynyrd skynyrd with just fingers, they sound amazing