Hi,

So, I have an Ibanez RG5EX1, just got it for Christmas, and I also got Proline strap locks for it, which I believe are just a cheaper version of the Schaller strap locks. I have a problem with these strap locks. The screw that is meant for the strap button for the strap lock seems to be too small to fit in the hole, so the threads on the screw do not catch in the wood. Does anyone know if I could fix this without having to drill another hole and having a vacant hole sit next to the strap button?

Thanks!

Zeppelin5005
See if a screw with larger threads will fit in the strap lock

Or fill the hole with wood filler, let it harden, screw the strap lock on
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by Koshman32 at Dec 30, 2009,
You could dowel the hole and redrill if the original screw or other screws wont work correctly with your Strap Lock
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Hi guys,

Well i tried both of these, the wood filler method and the original strap button screw. The problem with the original strap button screw is that it won't fit through the strap button meant for the strap lock. With the wood filler, the screw just came right out again. I believe I may have used the wrong type of wood filler, but I honestly don't know. Thanks for the help.

Zeppelin5005
Try the dowling method i suggested.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
the best way to do this is the dowel method. you need a dowel that is approximately the size of your hole (or a hair bigger) and some wood glue. put a bunch of wood glue in the hole, then stick the dowel in. i used one that was a touch bigger for my brother's base and used a hammer to tap it in (lightly). wipe off any glue that came out of the hole. let it set, then drill the correct sized hole for the screw.

the other good option is to do the same sort of thing, but use toothpicks or wooden matches (break the head off). bunch of glue then cram as many of those pieces of wood in there as you can. basicly you are just getting some more wood for the screw threads to bite into, and the wood glue and pressure (from lots of wood) holds the screw in. not tried this one myself, but ive heard of people using it to good effect.
just put a matchstick in the hole and it worked for me.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
well thanks for all of the suggestions --- I think I may use the toothpick method since it's the easiest solution
Quote by zeppelin5005
well thanks for all of the suggestions --- I think I may use the toothpick method since it's the easiest solution

you don't need to use glue either, it'll hold just as strong. put toothpicks in the hole, cut flush, screw in the straplock. it's as easy as that.