Hey guys, so xmas has passed, got all the gear i need to play the music, but now i want to start recording. So i know i need an interface and i was looking at the Lexicon Alpha USB Desktop Recording Studio, the i would use a shure sm58 to mic my amp. Do i need anything in between the mic and the interface? (pre-amp?)

Next, what software should i use with that interface, i already have reaper, would that be alright?
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
your alpha should come with Cubase LE... which is a cheaper protools. If you get the alpha and the sm58 you should be all set to record guitar. You may want to look into getting a condenser mic if you plan to record some acoustic or vocals.
Quote by AC/DC4EVA
Hey guys, so xmas has passed, got all the gear i need to play the music, but now i want to start recording. So i know i need an interface and i was looking at the Lexicon Alpha USB Desktop Recording Studio, the i would use a shure sm58 to mic my amp. Do i need anything in between the mic and the interface? (pre-amp?)

Next, what software should i use with that interface, i already have reaper, would that be alright?

The interface has a preamp on board so you just need the mic and cable to link the two.

If you have reaper, stick with it, It's a nice piece of software IMO.
If you want to, try some 30 day trials on other sequencers and see if you like them better. I personally am a fan of Cakewalk Sonar.
Just a consideration - the Shure SM57 is the same price as the SM58 and generally will give slightly better results on electric guitar. Aside from a cable, you won't need anything to go between the mic & interface.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?