i recently bought a boss me 20, purely for the effects, as my tone from my amp is perfect. I connected the me20 to my amp and now my tone has slightly changed, i have no effects or distortion models running, is this normal? any suggestions? cheers
entirely normal, these are not true bypass pedals (almost all multifx aren't). the signal is getting slightly "flavored" by the buffer circuit in the pedal. some pedals seem to be worse than others and multifx are usually the worst about 'tone-sucking'

your best best is to run the pedal through you're effects loop if you have one. and jsut turn the loop off when you arent using it.
the bypass is just not that great on the pedal, meaning it doesnt preserve your signal as good. so you will suffer some tone loss. some things to try:

1. try re-eq'ing your amp. sometimes just a little treble boosting will get you close to your original tone. maybe a little tweaking of the other controls as well.

2. how are you running the pedal? if you have it plugged in to the front, try running it through the effects loop.

3. this is less obvious, but make sure all of your cables are nice high quality cables. since you are using the pedal, you have extra cables going on, and a bad one could hurt your tone.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
the bypass is just not that great on the pedal, meaning it doesnt preserve your signal as good. so you will suffer some tone loss. some things to try:

1. try re-eq'ing your amp. sometimes just a little treble boosting will get you close to your original tone. maybe a little tweaking of the other controls as well.

2. how are you running the pedal? if you have it plugged in to the front, try running it through the effects loop.

3. this is less obvious, but make sure all of your cables are nice high quality cables. since you are using the pedal, you have extra cables going on, and a bad one could hurt your tone.

This. Especially the first. Some treble boostage usually solves it.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by DeanRedneck
entirely normal, these are not true bypass pedals (almost all multifx aren't). the signal is getting slightly "flavored" by the buffer circuit in the pedal. some pedals seem to be worse than others and multifx are usually the worst about 'tone-sucking'

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ME-20 (as most current production MFX for that matter) has DSP bypass, not buffered bypass. Wich means that the signal is still converted into digital information even when all the effects are off. This is why cheap MFXs have worse "tone-sucking" than any other pedal. Higher end MFXs usually have better digital-analog converters, and therefore don't have this problem.