Hi guys. Like most guitarists, i like to make up stuff that sounds good on the guitar. Nearly every time i have my guitar in hand, ill play a few random notes (sometimes completely random, other times in keys)and see what i can make. About 95% of the time, what i play sounds rubbish, with the occasional nice-sounding riff. My friend (whos only been playing 2 months more than me) can play pretty much anything and make it sound good. I ask him how he can do that, and how he does, and his excuse is, "Its because you take guitar lessons, so ur not as good at improvising". This confuses and frustrates me, since i really want to make up songs a lot in the future. Any help or tips on what i can do to improve my improvisation and innovation whilst guitar playing will be greatly appreciated, and does anyone else agree with what my freind says?

Thanks
Have a watch through this series...it'll open your eyes, and ears!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnbOWi6f_IM

Ignore your friend btw, he's talking bollocks.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I dont know just feel it out, find intervals that sound cool thats mostly what I pay attention to is spacing.
Quote by PattyCakes
I dont know just feel it out, find intervals that sound cool thats mostly what I pay attention to is spacing.

Pretty much this. I've been playing 3-ish years, and have still to learn any scales in depth (i know i know..) But i can write some nice riffs because i understand what intervals sound like what. If that makes any sense. For example, dimished fifth is super duper evil.