I'm in the market for a used tube head. 2 channels, decent amount of gain, clean channel doesn't need to be super clean. I'm playing mostly stoner rock/groove metal/Grunge. AIC, Clutch, Fudge Tunnel, Down, COC.

So far I have it down to:
XXX
Ultra 120
JCM 900

I've found them all used for around $700. (The Ultra goes for around $300) Are there any other tube heads in this price range used? All I ever seem to come across is peavey stuff. I feel like it'd be unfair not to give other brands a try. My cap is $800.
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
you can get a bugera 1990 head for $450 new. its a copy of the JCM 900 but i think it has higher gain (it goes up to "22", and im not joking the dial says 22). i own one and i would recommend it. you should use an EQ pedal with it thought b/c it has a universal EQ on board
You can get the Mesa DC series and F series in that budget...

Consider Red Bear Amps and the Sovtek MIG (Hot rod JCM 800 clones)

And you forgot the Peavey VTM (single channel) and Butcher (Hot rod JCM 800 clone).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
You can get the Mesa DC series and F series in that budget...

Consider Red Bear Amps and the Sovtek MIG (Hot rod JCM 800 clones)

And you forgot the Peavey VTM (single channel) and Butcher (Hot rod JCM 800 clone).

I've played a red bear, and I liked it. But I want to have two channels. I play So Cal type guitars, so I can't switch pickups for leads. I like to switch channels. I've never heard of the DC or F series Mesa's. I'll have to look around for one to try out.

I've seen a few Butchers and VTM's on ebay, but I'd really like to have that second channel.

Quote by RisingSun
you can get a bugera 1990 head for $450 new. its a copy of the JCM 900 but i think it has higher gain (it goes up to "22", and im not joking the dial says 22). i own one and i would recommend it. you should use an EQ pedal with it thought b/c it has a universal EQ on board

I thought the Bugera's sounded good, but I'm still worried about the reliability. I know that if I get a JCM900, it's gonna last me a good long time. But the Bugeras have only been around for what, two years? I think I'm gonna wait another year or two before I consider buying one.
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
Last edited by JHC_DOH at Dec 30, 2009,
Yeah, stay the hell away from the Bugeras. The evidence is in, and they're VERY unreliable.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.