Greetings UG

when improvising on a song, and using scales I come across a patterns problem. That being, using licks from that scale that are familiar to me. How do I avoid the repetition of these licks, by creating new ones? Shall I use different scales or what do you advise exactly for solving this issue?

P.S. When starting a song with a) root, when I play C as root I usually improvise with the same licks, which becomes monotone to me.
Use some string skips, slides, bends, tapping, etc. Just mess around and have some fun with it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by xNuno
Greetings UG

when improvising on a song, and using scales I come across a patterns problem. That being, using licks from that scale that are familiar to me. How do I avoid the repetition of these licks, by creating new ones? Shall I use different scales or what do you advise exactly for solving this issue?

P.S. When starting a song with a) root, when I play C as root I usually improvise with the same licks, which becomes monotone to me.

Listen to and learn as much different music as you can get your hands and ears on, that way you can draw influence from any quarter and you become more accustomed to getting as many different sounds out of your instrument as possible. the more you can do that the more you'll be able to get the sound you want out of your own playing.

Also it can never be stated enough that you should always be listening to and thinking about what you yourself are playing; you fall into the same patterns and licks because that's all you're thinking about: patterns and licks. The second you start thinking in terms of sounds and effects and notes rather than just playing you'll get a whole lot closer to making the sort of noise you WANT to make rather than the sort of noise your fingers 'know' how to make.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
One thing I've found that really helps break you out of your familiar patterns is something I called constrained improvising. Basically, you make up a "rule" and improvise within that rule for 10 mins or so. The rule can be anything you like, such as - only such and such intervals within the key, only these fingers, only these strings, only this rhythmic pattern, whatever. You start doing it, and of course at first it sounds like complete ass. But after a few tries you start finding nifty ways to get stuff sounding interesting, and of course you can't use your familiar old patterns because they break the "rules". It really works well, and I've made up some of my most interesting licks that way.